CH3NO2

2 You're 10
Nov 17, 2011
British Columbia
VetteCoins
Car
2000 C5 Coupe
Hey guys, new to having a corvette and was wondering what people usually launch at for rpms and also whats the usual time to shift at?

I've not drag raced per se in my 'vette but I can say from experience that it'll spin the tires very easily with its abundance of torque.

To my mind, with the OEM street tires, you'd have to feather the gas very carefully out of the hole and for at least a short distance to avoid any excessive wheelspin.
Some practice on a lonely road would probably help you get some feel for what to do.

I'm thinking you already know that too much wheelspin = slow times so avoiding it is a must for great times.
I know that some racers invest in good track tires such as Drag Radials to help with this but that of course means a bigger $ investment AND space to carry the tires. (all but impossible in a 'vette I would say)

I'm sure someone will chime in with their first hand experience but I'd bet that their initial rpm is quite low with street tires.

G/L with your races.

C.

After talking with one of the local guys, he launched his stock '03 Z06 at 2500 rpm. He didn't drop the clutch but let it out quickly and rolled the throttle to keep from spinning the tires. I think his shifts were just before the redline so he didn't hit the rev limiter. Anyway, long story short, this netted him a 12.6 quarter.

Hey guys, new to having a corvette and was wondering what people usually launch at for rpms and also whats the usual time to shift at?

Practice, practice, practice!! I run Drag Radials, launch at 3500-5000 rpm depending on track conditions, and my best 60' is a 1.70.
With street tires launch at 1600-2000 with slipping the clutch a little, with some wheel spin 2.10 60' shifting at 6600 rpm

ps

you can fit Drag Radials in you Corvette, its just not easy and one of them rides passenger

I know I know its (post) a few months old

I have a 2000 Convertible (auto)...I turn off the traction control, and push hard on the brake with my left foot.. I push the gas pedal all the way down, and hold it there!!
The car fills with smoke!! :swear: Should I put the top down?
AND when I can see again (smoke) the car goes sideways...:eek: hard right and then hard left.... What am I doing wrong?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread