Sep 29, 2017
St. Thomas
VetteCoins
I have a 1976 C3 Corvette that I just installed a new starter on and it is owrking beautifully. However, the car will only run for 30 seconds if I put some gas in the carburetor. I am going to start working my way back to the tank from the carb. My first thought after checking the manual pump is to just run a simple bottle of fuel to the carb to see if the car will continue to run. Does anywoy have any expereince with this or trying to determine the problem?

I would love some feedback from all the experience owners out there.

Reactions: YFCvii
Undo the fuel line at the carb , can put the pipe in a catch can or bottle of some type. Crank the engine over a few times and then see if any fuel came out of the pipe into the can. If Yes then pump is ok , if no then probably the fuel pump is no good. But if yes , and I presume you have the 4 bbl Q-jet carb , the filter is plugged which is located behind fitting that the fuel line turns into. Undo that big plug, it's a 1" wrench or so , filter is in there with a spring behind it. You can pucker up and blow into the filter and see if you can easily blow through it. If it is not plugged, then the needle is stuck to the seat in the carb stopping the fuel from entering. The float controls the needle. The float may be stuck in the high position thus closing off the needle. If so, can gently tap on the carb to maybe shake it lose and all will work again. But may have to take the top of the carb off to free the float / needle if has gummed up and stuck. Running a can of Sea Foam in the tank once in awhile helps keep things clean....don't use reg gas, only premium. Good luck.

Undo the fuel line at the carb , can put the pipe in a catch can or bottle of some type. Crank the engine over a few times and then see if any fuel came out of the pipe into the can. If Yes then pump is ok , if no then probably the fuel pump is no good. But if yes , and I presume you have the 4 bbl Q-jet carb , the filter is plugged which is located behind fitting that the fuel line turns into. Undo that big plug, it's a 1" wrench or so , filter is in there with a spring behind it. You can pucker up and blow into the filter and see if you can easily blow through it. If it is not plugged, then the needle is stuck to the seat in the carb stopping the fuel from entering. The float controls the needle. The float may be stuck in the high position thus closing off the needle. If so, can gently tap on the carb to maybe shake it lose and all will work again. But may have to take the top of the carb off to free the float / needle if has gummed up and stuck. Running a can of Sea Foam in the tank once in awhile helps keep things clean....don't use reg gas, only premium. Good luck.
Super well explained ... :thumbs::thumbs:
... god knows the "pucker up" part would gain me a mouth full of fuel :Ack2:
... which may then take me directly to the 32 oz hammer remedy 😡

Best of Fortune on the fix @evandermaarel :thumbs:

Reactions: ddgermann
Thanks, I will use the advice but I only pucker up for one thing!

Total long shot but it did happen to me so here is a suggestion.

If the car has been stored outside over its life them there is a chance that water could be in the fuel. My car had the overflow hose at the filler neck plugged and when water collected in the filler neck rubber it would seep into the tank. Over time the amount of water built up in the bottom of the tank until it started pumping water up to the engine and guess what.....engines don't run on water.

I would definitely check the fuel pump, filter , carb, etc first but this is something that you could check if it is none of those things.

T

Total long shot but it did happen to me so here is a suggestion.

If the car has been stored outside over its life them there is a chance that water could be in the fuel. My car had the overflow hose at the filler neck plugged and when water collected in the filler neck rubber it would seep into the tank. Over time the amount of water built up in the bottom of the tank until it started pumping water up to the engine and guess what.....engines don't run on water.

I would definitely check the fuel pump, filter , carb, etc first but this is something that you could check if it is none of those things.

T
Thanks for the advice. The car has been stored in a shop but water / condensation still gets in the fuel. I am going to try all of these things working my way back but ai suspect that the tank strainer could be plugged as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.