Feb 8, 2011
Surrey, BC
VetteCoins
Car
2009 z06
Hi everyone,
I am not sure if you remember but like 6months ago, I tried to buy 08corvette ls3 with 68000kms on it but got declined from banks because short period of employment.. so I waited 6months and bought an 09 z06 with 43000kms on it.

only question that I have is the car makes some kind of tapping or grinding noise when I am giving a light throttle and the sales manager told me that he will have mechanic to look at the problem but I am still curious about the noise.. one of the arogant sales rep (not my rep) jumped into my my sales rep's table and told me that's nothing and he knows because he owns one (he was very rude and i gave him enough s**t) is it something that I should be concerned?

Also I would like to know general reliability of 09 z06 please.

Thanks a lot and I will post pictures as soon as it arrives!

The mouthy salesmen was wrong ,nothing is normal that isn't normal:D First congratulations and you showed good patients .OK where is the noise coming from ? Is it consistent ? All speeds ? Please give us all the info you can .

Thanks Elf!!

I don't know where thats comming from but I think its from engine because I am hearing it from front side of the car.. (Corvette transmission sits in the back right?) it basically comes from any speed with light throttle. Every gear, at least, 1st 2nd 6th it is pretty consistent and at all speed only on light throttles.

Checked the warranty history and the cam shaft was swapped under warranty.. that is the only claim. Goodthing: The car is still in PT warranty untill march 11th 2014 so if I find anything I can comeback.. but I really wish I can get the car delivered @ the best condition

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the purchase.
As was said, more info is needed for understand the sound you are hearing. Big difference in a tapping sound over a grinding sound. Is it metal to metal ? Is it a rattle ? That kind of thing.
I am wondering if it is a noisy lifter? Does the speed of the sound increase as throttle is applied?

There has been a problem with loose or badly worn valve guides. Leave it long enough and a valve head may break off which can lead to a windowed block. I'd be getting it checked out. It might turn out to be nothing at all. Some engines have a little piston slap when cold but that goes away as they warm up. Any odd noise should be followed up on because it is NOT normal. Put the chase on that salesman. Most of them wouldn't know a sparkplug from an O2 sensor, at least from my experience.

The car is still at the Dealership because I signed the deal on Saturday night. Does anyone live in Vancouver area? I know some of earlier ls2's were having problem with lifters but no well known problem that I could find from the interent on LS7's.. At this stage im waiting for an answer from Dealership mechanic.. I will give you guys an update when I hear anything from them. Thank you very much everyone!

Welcome Peace .... I agree with what's been said that if needs to be diagnosed and fixed before you take it home. Don't let anyone at the dealership sluff you off with any stories.

If the noise is loud enough to get your attention then it's not normal.
Get after them to fix it.

C.

A friend on here likes to take a friend along with him when looking at a car. The friend has nothing in it so can be unbiased and objective. He has also gone with guys when buying cars and tells them what he sees truthfully. Fall in love with a car, and you are setting yourself up for possible problems. As mention in previous posts, there are lots of cars out there and the right one will come along if this one doesn't turn out to be it. Just don't let them buffalo you into something.

Last edited:
Best advice, would be to get your cheque back and walk away from that one. Any kind of mechanical noise on a car with 43,000 on it is just bad news. The mechanic is programed to tell you there's no problem just to get the sale. Then when you have problems, they'll wash they're hands on that one for sure. The valve problems on a C6Z engine are well documented and if it's already had a cam replacement, then look out. Best to do more homework before making a commitment.
Rob

Best advice, would be to get your cheque back and walk away from that one. Any kind of mechanical noise on a car with 43,000 on it is just bad news. The mechanic is programed to tell you there's no problem just to get the sale. Then when you have problems, they'll wash they're hands on that one for sure. The valve problems on a C7 engine are well documented and if it's already had a cam replacement, then look out. Best to do more homework before making a commitment.
Rob

Oh I didnt see this comment. Yeah I will be little more patient and see what they say first and decide. Maybe I should have it voice recorded and post it here..

I would get my cheque back and have it inspected by a 3rd party,

(me I would not buy it ever even if they attempted ot fix it you never should have given them money)

they may be hiding something (if you are correct in the noise exists)

and you have little time for warranty and they know there is a problem (if you are correct)

THERE ARE LOTS OF CARS OUT THERE, do not feel pressured to take this one based on your finances and their story,

lots of guys here can find a car for you and there is lots of cars in the USA at forum dealers to buy

and I am sincere in this and am not posting this lightly walk away with your money back or I will buy you lunch in 2 years if everything is OK (if you are hearing a bad noise)

Jeffer2013

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.