Casual User
Jan 14, 2022
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 2019 GS
Province
ON
Looks like my turn has come.

The engine made a slight whine noise the past months that I didn't care about because it sounded normal to me and was quiet and not noticeable with the windows up. It got much louder these past few days and now I can hear it loud and clear within the cabin. It's like a loud supercharger whine when the engine accelerates/deaccelerates, no noise when idling. Looked at my tensioner, it's hard to see but looks a bit oily/greasy.

Time to see if they can replace it under warranty, if not it's time to get to work.

Car only has 30,000KM on it, anyone else had this issue this early? Was there a faulty batch or something? I know it has a mini shock absorber built in and those will eventually go but not this quickly.

My car has a fake supercharger now.

As I'm sure you know, this is a very common problem with the C7 although it occurs more frequently in the 2014-2016 model years. There are no rules as to when it will fail. No bad batches that I'm aware of.

The belt tensioner has undergone 3 supersessions, presumably to improve the part. starting with P/N 12658273, going to 126689977 with 12686272 being the latest version. I would have thought that your 2019 would have had the most recent version installed. Regardless, make sure that you get the latest part. Also, while not absolutely necessary, it's a good idea to replace the serpentine belt at the same time. Even if it's not covered by your warranty, it's only around 70.00-100.00 depending on where you buy it and it's well worth the cost in my opinion.

Just to be certain, listen carefully to the alternator and the water pump as failures of these components can sound similar to a faulty belt tensioner.

Hopefully, you're still within the powertrain warranty. If not, the entire repair should only take about an hour with parts costing around 170.00 to 200.00 depending on where you buy them.

Best of luck
Ross

Looks like my turn has come.

The engine made a slight whine noise the past months that I didn't care about because it sounded normal to me and was quiet and not noticeable with the windows up. It got much louder these past few days and now I can hear it loud and clear within the cabin. It's like a loud supercharger whine when the engine accelerates/deaccelerates, no noise when idling. Looked at my tensioner, it's hard to see but looks a bit oily/greasy.

Time to see if they can replace it under warranty, if not it's time to get to work.

Car only has 30,000KM on it, anyone else had this issue this early? Was there a faulty batch or something? I know it has a mini shock absorber built in and those will eventually go but not this quickly.

My car has a fake supercharger now.
My 2019 with 10K kms hasn't had any issues yet, but I had this on my 98 C5 years ago. By that time I had probably 120K kms on it and it was 15 years old.

As I'm sure you know, this is a very common problem with the C7 although it occurs more frequently in the 2014-2016 model years. There are no rules as to when it will fail. No bad batches that I'm aware of.

The belt tensioner has undergone 3 supersessions, presumably to improve the part. starting with P/N 12658273, going to 126689977 with 12686272 being the latest version. I would have thought that your 2019 would have had the most recent version installed. Regardless, make sure that you get the latest part. Also, while not absolutely necessary, it's a good idea to replace the serpentine belt at the same time. Even if it's not covered by your warranty, it's only around 70.00-100.00 depending on where you buy it and it's well worth the cost in my opinion.

Just to be certain, listen carefully to the alternator and the water pump as failures of these components can sound similar to a faulty belt tensioner.

Hopefully, you're still within the powertrain warranty. If not, the entire repair should only take about an hour with parts costing around 170.00 to 200.00 depending on where you buy them.

Best of luck
Ross
I don't seem to have any electrical problems so maybe not the alternator? Any other symptoms for the water pump? I can't find any videos but I'm assuming the noise is much worse. It could be but the noise sounds identical to this video;

We shall see. Dealership is closed today. I am still within the powertrain warranty but as usual they'll probably try to fight me over it. If they don't budge it's not an expensive repair, I found both parts on RockAuto and it's like 180CAD with shipping, I reckon I can spend an hour or two under the hood myself if they decide to try and bill me like 800 in labor for it.

I only mentioned the alternator and water pump as items to rule out. When they go, like the belt tensioner, they tend to be bearing related failures and, as such, will sound similar. The sound location should tell you which component is at fault.

Powertrain warranty should cover it but, if not, the repair is very straight forward and the parts pricing quoted by RockAuto is right in the ball park.

Best of luck
Ross

Sorry to hear about your issue. No issues with my 2015 with 56K KM on it. Hadn't heard of the tensioner issue, but will definitely be aware now. Thanks for posting and best of luck on the resolution.

Took it in, I didn't realize but apparently I still have my new vehicle warranty on it which expires in 4 days. I completely forgot but they brought it up first thing and said whatever they find after a diagnostics should be covered. Good timing I guess.

The sound got even worse at low RPMs this morning (cold and damp morning), it sort of sounds like a dying toad, very weird noise. There's a specific range in the higher RPMs when the V8 kicks in that it doesn't make a noise at all so I think that confirms it's the tensioner.

Yeah got a call and they told me it's the "tensioner belt", I think they meant the belt tensioner. Said there was slack in the belt and it was loose. New part is coming in tomorrow, covered under new vehicle warranty.

Got the car back. It was the tensioner, car drives perfectly now and makes no noise (for a Corvette).

Can't believe that tiny part can be responsible for so many random issues.

My car doesn't rattle when changing from V4-V8 anymore, I thought that was a normal quirk of the car. Apparently not. The car drives (and shifts?) smoothly now, there's no abruptness in the pedal anymore in the lower RPM range. And of course no more whine and the car isn't shaking as much. Yeah I just didn't look at the part correctly, new one is shiny, the old one was caked in oil.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.