I bought two new Optima Red Tops at the same time. One went in the Vette, and one went in the TBSS. The Vette doesn't get driven very often, which is part of the reason for choosing the Red Top. It is supposed to be better at handling the infrequent usage. Always maintained over the winter with a Genius or NoCo smart charger.

The TBSS was a daily driver, so there was no need for a charger, and I never had an issue with that Red Top. It was a great battery for 4+ years. The Red Top in the Vette is done. Won't take a charge even off the smart charger at all any more. So it clearly depends on your usage.

I'd just like to add that in my Trans Am that I have had for 13 years, I use Canadian Tire Eliminator batteries. It was simply a convenience thing when I was up north and didn't have a lot of options and needed it right away, but I have not been disappointed. I have replaced it twice, both times replaced for free under warranty. I have left it connected and in cold storage over an entire winter twice, and the car started without a boost in the spring. It's not as pretty as the Optima, but it works, and if it doesn't, I get a new one for free. To wit: I do believe they have stopped the lifetime free replacement program now, but they still have absolutely excellent batteries.

In all likelihood the Canadian Tire battery you got was probably made by East Penn Manufacturing and distributed in Canada by EPM owned Power Battery Sales. American made product (Pennsylvania) that I believe are a cut above in quality.

East Penn took the business from Exide at CTC around 2006.

I'll probaby regret saying this but I put two new Kirkland batteries in my 99 Ford diesel in 2007. I think they were about $ 70.00 each back then. Unheated shop for my truck. Tender goes on in the winter and as far as I can tell, they are still working just fine. Always starts good whether on the tender (winter) or not (summer). I'm guessing by the posts that 11 years is not bad for battery life?

You can get the Optima Red Top with side or top, or both. My TBSS had both. I remember boosting with it and scratching up those brand new posts and losing the plastic covers for them. :(

Are these the plastic covers you’re talking about?If so your welcome to them,also I ordered the extra o-rings from Elite for the catch can and don’t think I’ll ever be able to use them all if you’d like a few of them.If you do want them send me a pm with your address and, I’ll send them to you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 5
I ended up buying a battery from PartSource, a MPS75 with 690 CCA. It has the MagnaPower Silver label and it is made by EPM so that gave me confidence that I was buying a quality product. We have an EPM distribution hub here in Saskatoon and asked them about it and they said it was one of the type they make. It is a group 75 battery so it is identical in size to my OEM battery and has the two side posts. The cost was reasonable at $140 (tax in with my old core).

In all likelihood the Canadian Tire battery you got was probably made by East Penn Manufacturing and distributed in Canada by EPM owned Power Battery Sales. American made product (Pennsylvania) that I believe are a cut above in quality.

East Penn took the business from Exide at CTC around 2006.

I know many people think Scotty is kind of a clown but I think he is credible.

That video just ruined my day hemicat, the main reason I bought the Optima was that they don't leak. But after just having my car judged by the NCRS & losing points for not having a GM battery, I'll be installing an A.C. Delco when it goes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.