ray

2 You're 10
Feb 23, 2010
hamilton
VetteCoins
Car
2009 coupe
will be putting the vette c6 in storage what type of battery charger do u guys recommend it is going in my garage also when i stored my other cars i put plywood under the tires

Hi Ray, I would leave it in place and use a battery tender to maintain the charge, those cars have a slow bleed on the battery but it's best for the puter to leave the batt hooked up because the memory will be affected if you disconnect it.....battery tenders are in the $50. price range and charge only when necessary...i'm sure others will chime in on this one.....good luck! And yes a couple sheets of plywood is an excellent idea

Last edited:
Battery Tender

Got a Schumacher automatic battery charger/maintainer at home hardware for a total price of $50.84 going to mount it alongside the battery.:canada:

I have had great success with my Ctek unit as well. As mentioned, I too would recommend using a battery maintainer for your car. My unit has a winter setting as well so you know it will keep on going through the winter. I'm sure others may have this but I am not familiar with the other products.

It kept it fresh like a bag of bananas...Ok, bad reference.... How the Ctek works is that it allows the battery to drain (not completely dead, just a bit) and then it charges it back up to 12.6 Volts. This movement of electrons is what keeps the battery in good condition because batteries degrade when stagnant....or so I think I read.

So instead of just replying yes, like I should have, I will say that it kept it cycling all winter so that it would be in tip top shape for the Spring....which it was.

yes a battery needs the electrons to move back and forth to keep in good shape, a battery will only hold a charge when the elecrolite is warm thou and so keeping a slight trickle going thru it is a good thing or as it was said bring it in the warm and just refresh it every now and then . Havent ever heard of a car being hurt computer wise if no battery in it as when you start it up again with a battery installed it just relearnes the perameters in the program and away you go again . Kinda like what a person does sometimes to clear a code is all. Try and jack the car of the ground as well and that way you wont get any flat spots from it sitting in one spot all winter as well.

I leave my battery disconnected for the winter season. When i take the car out in spring car fires right up and ALL my memory settings are still there. No adjusting seats, mirrors, radio.....no re-indexing windows...nothing. I find it weird that anyone else would lose their settings.

It kept it fresh like a bag of bananas...Ok, bad reference.... How the Ctek works is that it allows the battery to drain (not completely dead, just a bit) and then it charges it back up to 12.6 Volts. This movement of electrons is what keeps the battery in good condition because batteries degrade when stagnant....or so I think I read.

So instead of just replying yes, like I should have, I will say that it kept it cycling all winter so that it would be in tip top shape for the Spring....which it was.

i wonder if the battery tender does the same...

Battery Tender or Ctek are the most popular units.
Don't go with the CTC 1 amp units. Too many lost battery stories with these.
Most power Sports dealers / Motorcycle shops sell the BT & Ctek units.:canada:

I second that.... Been using Ctek for 4 years now without any issues. My battery is the original, 6yrs old still running strong :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.