i have C-Tek maintainers for our cars. With our old Chevelles, I just disconnected the battery in the fall and hooked it back up in the spring. Batteries last me 7-9 years on average. With the constant draw from the computer system in the Corvette, you will definitely need to disconnect the battery or use a maintainer. Whatever, i just connect the maintainers and let them do their job. Can't hurt I guess. We'll see if these batteries last any longer with the maintainers.

I have had great success with my Ctek unit as well. As mentioned, I too would recommend using a battery maintainer for your car. My unit has a winter setting as well so you know it will keep on going through the winter. I'm sure others may have this but I am not familiar with the other products.

Watch a CTEK commercial on youtube--they look like the best product out there IMO for winter storage--so much so, I got one myself. I just hooked that bad boy up today.

I don't have an outlet available to plug one in so I have never used a tender. Thankfully disconnecting the battery then reconnecting it in the spring has never been an issue for me. Fires up fine every year. Don't recall every having to redo my memory settings either.

Wow CCO, i have another option that i didnt know about. I have never used one before. I always just disconnected the battery and charged it once or twice over the winter. I hope it works. I guess we will find out in the spring.

If you disconnect the battery it will still self discharge over time. So it is best to periodically give it a charge as some wisely mentioned. I've done some testing and found the Battery Tender Jr. is a great little charger if you have a good battery to begin with. If you need to charge a dead battery and maintain, a mid-level CTEK is supposed to be the best. It is used for Ferraris, Lambos, etc. Just as a straight maintainer, a CTEK is much more expensive than the BTjr (on sale next week at CT Ontario).

One question, why do people put plywood under their tires? I asked this on a major U.S. forum and got no satisfactory reason. Urban myth I think. Plywood is not much different than sitting on concrete.

Last edited:
Re plywood under tires.

Rational for that is its better for the rubber.Has some 'give' whereas concrete
doesn't 'flex' !!
Some folks put a tarp under the whole car.....rational...with a cement floor, the tarp stops dampness rising onto the metal frame of the car and hence encouraging rust.

Hope this helps.

Tony,
welland

Re plywood under tires.

Rational for that is its better for the rubber.Has some 'give' whereas concrete
doesn't 'flex' !!
Some folks put a tarp under the whole car.....rational...with a cement floor, the tarp stops dampness rising onto the metal frame of the car and hence encouraging rust.

Hope this helps.

Tony,
welland

Mine gets carpeting under the car. I like keeping the cold and dampness off the car.
Cradles under the wheels work well for me too.

C.

I use an old piece of carpet underpad under mine also to keep the dampness away. Also soaks up anything that may drip:(
I also use 4 pieces of Styrofoam under the tires. I have a 1 amp trickle charger I was going to use this year to keep the battery full but I am hearing maybe I should not? Am I safe if I use it weekly to top the battery back up? I don't intend on keeping it plugged in all winter.

I use an old piece of carpet underpad under mine also to keep the dampness away. Also soaks up anything that may drip:(
I also use 4 pieces of Styrofoam under the tires. I have a 1 amp trickle charger I was going to use this year to keep the battery full but I am hearing maybe I should not? Am I safe if I use it weekly to top the battery back up? I don't intend on keeping it plugged in all winter.

Before I got the C-tek trickle chargers I used a regular charger once every week or 2 to keep batteries fully charged and never had an issue.
C.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.