RIP
You're a Regular King of the Post You're Liked 2 You're 10
Jul 15, 2012
Fairview, Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
2006 Z06
Good morning Arun,

I recall you mentioning when I met you in April that I needed to do something when I was putting the car away for the winter on the menthanol injection side of things.

Can you remind me what it is and give me a step by step list of instructions to walk me through it.

Youtube videos of you doing it would be even cooler!!

You attended to this yet Colin?? Any other Alky Meth users done their cars for the winter? Is it hard to do??

Cheers,

Garry

Good morning Arun,

I recall you mentioning when I met you in April that I needed to do something when I was putting the car away for the winter on the menthanol injection side of things.

Can you remind me what it is and give me a step by step list of instructions to walk me through it.

Youtube videos of you doing it would be even cooler!!

You attended to this yet Colin?? Any other Alky Meth users done their cars for the winter? Is it hard to do??

Cheers,

Garry

You need to drain the system of all the the Meth for storage and then ion the spring fill it up up .

Manny

What if you had a 50/50 meth injection system? Would you still have to drain it or could the meth absorb even more water upsetting the alcohol to water ratio? Do you know how long meth can sit in a tank before it absorbs too much water? Just asking in case I force induct my car in the future plus I just like learning!

Good evening Manny,

For the mechanically challenged do I do this by pulling the hose off the bottom of the tank? and draining it? Is it difficult to get to? The car is currently in Spirit River or I'd go pop the hood right now but if you could steer me in the right direction I could prepare myself with the necessary tools etc.

Could I stick a hoes inside and syphon it out? Or does the tank have to be bone dry??

Is this for avoiding water absorption or for line seal/o-ring protection?? I thought Arun mentioned something about seals that would get damaged........

Good questions too Riley!

Cheers,

Garry

Garry its best to leave the plumbing alone and just use a hose to pump it out .

This will pump the seals as well as the from corroding .

Manny

Good morning Manny,

Thanks for the info.

I'll go hunt for a pony pump and if not do it by hand pump I guess. I hope by hand with a squeeze bulb will not take too long but then again I've got time on my hands now.

Maybe the worlds biggest turkey baster??!! I actually have some fairly large syringes that I use for measuring out liquid herbicides for test plots, I'll see about fishing one of those out and maybe fastening a flexable hose to it.........

I hope all my meth friends are doing likewise - you moving on this too Colin or already attended to it??

Cheers,

Garry

Ah! Excellent reply Manny! I never thought about corrosion!

Do you have a shop vac Garry?.........Hmmmm......I think it might be possible to do this but sucking flammable fluid through an electric vacuum with the vapor being blown out.....:D

Good morning Riley,

It is interesting, isn't it. What I learned the most is that while meth systems can run on 50/50 (actual windshield washer fluid) and that can be left in year-round that the 100% methyl hydrate stuff is so much more corrosive that it it needs to be drained if the vehicle is not in use for a prolonged period like winter. Who'd have guessed??

Not to mention that if you were running the vehicle 12 months of the year (insert dreams here) you'd be find to just keep filling the tank. Some use I guess makes it OK to have in all the time but months of non-use is bad for the system...........now how interesting to learn is that??

I wonder what variety of techniques people have come up with to empty the windshield washer fluid tank???? Anyone want to contributre or share??

Cheers,

Garry

Last edited:
Good evening Colin,

A 4 foot rubber hose! Is the reservoir that buried???

What is the Alky Control test button for by the way - manual activation??

Didn't you have to run the engine pretty WOT to use up the remainder? I thought it didn't come on until you were into like 4 psi of boost?? Like the BAP...........

Otherwise the methanol is not being injected until you reach that boost level.........

Cheers,

Garry

Good evening Colin,

A 4 foot rubber hose! Is the reservoir that buried???

What is the Alky Control test button for by the way - manual activation??

Didn't you have to run the engine pretty WOT to use up the remainder? I thought it didn't come on until you were into like 4 psi of boost?? Like the BAP...........

Otherwise the methanol is not being injected until you reach that boost level.........

Cheers,

Garry

Yes Garry you need that much hose since the reservoir is down low so you need a length long enough to get to that bottom of that and back to the container on the ground.

The red button in the control cubby is for manual activation of the meth pump but like I said do it slowly or you'll stall the engine.

You could just drive it to use up any meth that's left in the tank.

Siphon out as much as you can first tho.

C.

Garry

Go to Can-Tire or CARQUEST pick up a 12v universal fuel pump, some fuel line and some electrical wire

done deal
Just my 2cents :)

Good evening MADDOX,

I actually do have a 12 V pony pump kicking around somewhere but that was 4 years ago so I am not sure off-hand where it has gotten to.

I think this year I'll go with my oversized syringe and long hose and give that a try.

Colin, thanks for giving me more details of how it went with you more step by step! I won't go into shock now that I have your description.

Cheers,

Garry

There's a car here is Saskatchewan that is a blank canvas for you if you are itching to work on something. I'll even let you do the labour and put in whatever parts you want for free! :D

Good morning Canuk,

What a great suggestion and as well an opportunity to learn a bit more about the system and how it works - I like this one, clean and simple.............the sharing of people's experiences here is terrific!

Cheers,

Garry

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.