This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Anyone doing HPDE on a race track?

Jesus Christ has nothing to do with my post about track day insurance...
What is your issue! Haggerty has some strange rules for ANY insurance! Track, daily or anything! It has tons to do with track day insurance! Buyer beware!

It is rare to hear good things about the TMP run lapping days, but I'm sure it depends on the specific events you've been out to.

Grand Bend is a nice local track, and the officials do a good job, but while the track itself is safe for minor off-track excursions, it's definitely not safe for more serious type failures. Have a look around that track and figure out what RV you want to hit if you lose your brakes (for example). It has virtually no containment. Don't get me wrong, I still go there, but it's a bit of a stretch to call it a safe track.

It's very rare to anyone to purchase track day insurance. Most just accept if you crash your car on track (or someone crashes into you, or it catches fire, etc.), you're out of pocket for it.

Reactions: Murray20c8
I've never been to TMP for lapping, so I can't confirm or deny, but others I know who have done it, have enjoyed it.
If you have an accident with another car at a track, by law it's the same as having an accident in a mall parking lot, however would you really want to tell your insurer that you race your car? I wouldn't trust any insurance company not to share the info. Likely why most, including me, just accept that if I hurt my car it's all on me.

I really enjoyed the driver development track at CTMP. Nice technical track with almost zero concrete.

I keep my track alignment always. On the track tires wear the outside edges more and on the street the inside wears more. The tires will wear much faster if you track the car anyway. I find for me it balances out somewhat. I do run higher tire pressure on the street to help compensate for the wear - cold 6 to 8 psi more. Most of the track users I know drive to and from the track leave the track alignment permanently.
If you don't have a track alignment you may not get the grip you expect on track and since you know how it should feel based on going to SM you could be disappointed. It is also safer IMO on track to have the proper alignment. The only difference I feel with tht track alignment on the street is on the highway changing lanes you can feel a pull into the lane as you move over the tire wear areas of the road.

Reactions: Murray20c8 and HZOR
I was only referring to the open lapping events. I am sure there are many good clubs that do an excellent job managing the drivers at TMP.

Reactions: Murray20c8
I was only referring to the open lapping events. I am sure there are many good clubs that do an excellent job managing the drivers at TMP.
Ya, sorry, open lapping events can bring out yoyo's. New racers shouldn't go to them.

I like the club events because they are generally low key. Little pressure and a lot of comradery.

Reactions: GM MUSL
My advice if you are new to tracking and lapping days is to go out, have fun and not worry too much about how fast you are going to go, lap times etc etc.

Learn the track, watch some videos on YT on the track you are going to. Start in the newbie group the club or event organiser for the lapping day will have a specific meeting with new drivers and experienced driver volunteers that will take you around the track at a reduced speed to get you up to speed on the various parts of the course and what to look for while you are driving the track by yourself.

Have the car prepared days ahead of you going to the event. Have new higher temp brake fluid in your car at the very least and of course proper pad material and thickness. Learn a bit on how to wrench on your car like torquing wheel nuts (means having and knowing how to use a torque wrench) and a basic tool kit will help with minor things that can pop up when at the track. Bring a tire pressure gauge as you will be adjusting pressures constantly.

Be aware of how you are driving and how others are driving around you especially if you are a novice, know your and their abilities before you decide to fly through that corner way faster then you and your cars abilities or trying to outbrake someone entering a corner. Always watch for changing conditions on the track (someone could drop some fluids ahead of you or stall out in a blind corner as you are coming through).

There're tons of others tips and stuff but basically have fun, don't abuse the car on track or damage it and that makes for a great day especially afterwards when you can drive your car home intact.

Tony

Update in case anyone else is interested: I did the track prep at the dealership (Willson Niblett). I had to supply my own high-perf brake fluid. They knew how to do the track alignment and I went with the less aggressive settings for now (-2 deg camber) which also did not require moving the control arm washers. I’ll go all the way to -2.5/-3 if I don’t like the handling after the first track day.