This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Any one purchased extended warranty ?

I agree completely with your analysis of the expenditure for extended warranty. In the old days you knew how much it would cost to rebuild a motor, transmission etc. and you could perhaps do a cost analysis of purchasing or not purchasing the warranty. However these days the coverage, in my mind, is really for the electronics. Cars have become so complicated and parts so expensive the average guy cannot do much anymore. Sleep, yes even if the car is sleeping we have heard many stories of them refusing to wake up properly after a long winters nap.

If that decision helps one sleep I would go for it.

When I got my car last Monday I also purchased the extended warranty. I took the 6 year / 80km and it cost 1800$. I didn't take more km because I won't be doing that many and opted for a higher year count. With all the electronics on this car if only one thing goes wrong it will pay for itself. And if I do decide to sell it it I'm sure it will be easier with the ext war. Just my 2 cents.

I don't expect to have a fire, BUT- I have an extinguisher, smoke detectors and Fire Insurance---Just sayin..

Holy deviation from the topic batman ... from extended warranties to % of dealer mark-up on a Z06 & printer cartridges ... what do you say we all go back to the original topic of extended warranties?

I definitely see value in the extended warranty and purchased 7 yr/100k. My personal reasons:

1) Too many electronics, diagnosis of which is beyond my abilities
2) Cost divided by the term works out to less than a cup of coffee a day. Worthwhile investment for peace of mind
3) Helps with resale as I believe warranty is transferable (please correct me if I am wrong)

Whether the dealership is making money or not is irrelevant. I am perfectly fine with the dealership making a profit as long as I get value for my money as well. This is not a mandatory package, and one has to weigh the pros/cons for him/herself to decide.

Hmmm, I wasn't offered 7 years 100K, only 7 years 60K. I would like 7 years 80K.

Thanks!

GMPP Protection Plan Basics page on gm.ca

It's important to know who is backing your contract. Ask yourself and your dealer these questions
- Is it a genuine GM Protection Plan? GM Protection Plans are the only extended service plan provided by General Motors of Canada.
- How long has the company been in business? GM is in operation since 1908 and the GM Protection Plan has been offered for over 30 years in Canada.

I like C7AW also bought the 7yr/100 km, its a no brainer, we a buying a new car with a lot of new bells and whistles, that are in the c7 for the first time, lets face it these cars are made by humans, theres always something bound to go wrong, maybe not today, but someday down the road something will go wrong big or small I don't want the head ache of opening the wallet more than I have to...gas and tires iam ok with buying..

Hey Riley or Colin, do you think it might be time to put these guys out of their misery and delete the thread. I am getting tired of reading all of this crap!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Riley or Colin, do you think it might be time to put these guys out of their misery and delete the thread. I am getting tired of reading all of this crap!!!!!!!!!!

I second the motion. It's gone from discussing warranty to trying to one up other members. Doesn't matter that dealers make a profit, so they should as should everyone else in business, otherwise we wouldn't have a vette!!!

Seconded by me....!

2015C7.... I hope you got enough information about warranties..
Sorry everything went sideways on your only posts.
Try us again..

graham

Seconded by me....!

2015C7.... I hope you got enough information about warranties..
Sorry everything went sideways on your only posts.
Try us again..

graham

No prob! Despite the profit rants and all, I still got good info about extended warranties and chatted with my dealer today. I am currently planning on 7years/60K because, for my dealer that has been the typical extended warranty opted for by previous Vette buyers in my area. I was told that if I wanted, and yes there is a price increase threat in doing this, I could monitor my first year's mileage and, if I find I want to add more miles, I can extend the extend. Works for me.

My sister bought a 2004 Corvette convertible in 2013.
She inquired around and bought an extended warranty immediately.
It will give her piece of mind for the next few years.
I bought our C5 convert last year but did not get an extended warranty.
We're both very happy.. different reason to get or not to get this kind of
insurance. It's a personal thing.
The C4's - C7's sure have a lot more to go wrong compared to the older cars.
graham

I have said more than once, extended warranty is a personal preferences, no one deserves to slammed for buying it or not buying it.
I didn't buy any for my 03 - 50th Anniversary Red C5 and got very lucky, however for my C7 I think I will buy some due to so many more electronics in the car. I put on no more than 5k per year so I'll opt for longest period with lowest k option. Sounds like 7 year and 60k is more than I need for k's...

Hi Everyone!

Thread brought back on track. My apologize to all our members for not keeping tighter control on this and not being on here as much as I should. Please report or PM me if you notice threads derailing and I will take care of it.

Riley

Thanks ,Riley and to those who provided useful information on the original post question . I think we got some good feed back from forum members who stayed on topic.

Regards, Doug.

Does anyone know if the warranty for the more expensive Z06 will be different than the StingRay? Does price of the car increase warranty? Also, do I have to get it before I drive the car off the lot or can I get it a month or two later if it is the GM warranty? Thanks ahead... I am pretty much set on the GM 8/80

Last edited: