2015c7

Casual User
Oct 6, 2014
muskoka
VetteCoins
Car
coupe
2015 coupe,2lt, delivered mid October and down South for the winter. 6000 K now and thinking about buying extended warranty. Any thoughts ,comments or advice would be appreciated.....tks

2015 coupe,2lt, delivered mid October and down South for the winter. 6000 K now and thinking about buying extended warranty. Any thoughts ,comments or advice would be appreciated.....tks

I purchased the extended warranty. I thought it better to get it and not worry for the next years.

From experience extended warranty's are often over priced and can or should be easily negotiated for decent discounts. I know of one friend who got 40% off on his C7 extended warranty. Call around the country you don't have to buy it at the same dealer you bought your car from.

I bought the 7 year extended warranty. Since I will only drive 6 months of the year, I went for years instead of mileage. I bought 84 months but the mileaage remains at 60 thou.

I went with an extended warranty because these are not just cars any longer. They are rolling computers where any number of techy things can/will go wrong. These are not your fathers' Bel Airs. ;)

I've never been one for extended warranties. For the most part, anything that will go wrong usually does so within the first year which is covered by the basic warranty. In 2005 they wanted $1700 for the extended warranty to cover a $18K Jimmy. About 10% of the value. I passed and to this day, the only thing that has ever gone wrong that would have been warranty related was the emergency brake release knob which fell off within the first year. $1700 ahead. Our 2005 Corvette is a little over 10 years old now and according to the paperwork that came in the glove box, nothing went wrong there either. Our '97 Olds LSS, with the supercharged 3.8, while a summer car only, has over 130K miles with nothing serious going wrong there. You can argue that these new Corvettes are a whole bunch of complication and IF something goes wrong, it is generally expensive. However, I kind of doubt that anything will go wrong unless you are beating the tar out of the car. Warranties are real up sell money makers for the dealers and the company. As with any other insurance, what is your comfort level?

AllFlash: I work on the principle as Santa Claus. You ask for things and you get them. My 84 month extended warranty cost $2958.00 and it is called "gmpp total plus" on the initial new vehicle bill of sale.
:driving:

Ok so... can I ask... does it extend the manufacturers warranty or is it a total separate warranty. I have had experience with third party warranties in the past and, to this date, there are many you can never truly collect on. If this is 3rd party, does it have a very positive reputation?

Thanks tyho.....can you give me an idea of what type of coverage is available I assume from your GMC dealer and what they are looking for pricing wise ?? tks

The coverage is essentially what the original warranty covers. Cost approx. $3,000. I don't remember the exact figure as it was built into the overall price. I believe there is a $100 deductible as well. I know it covers the tires for accidental puncture. Maybe you could pull some more info off the web??

When I ordered the car, my dealer had offered the extended warranty and said no. When I picked up the car, they said they had a deal on the warranty I could not refuse. 84 months total warranty for $1,500 less a rebate of $700.00. That gives me 6 years @ 10,000km per year for $135 per year. No brainer. Only problem was I put on 14,000 km in 4+ months till I parked it this fall.

Took a 8,000 km trip to San Diego, best driving trip of my life.

Extended Warranty cost

AllFlash: I work on the principle as Santa Claus. You ask for things and you get them. My 84 month extended warranty cost $2958.00 and it is called "gmpp total plus" on the initial new vehicle bill of sale.
:driving:

Like 81Wayne say's shop around, as you do not have to buy the warranty from your dealer, I shopped around and got prices of the 84 month warranty GMPP total plus, the highest was $3390 and lowest was $2190 when I went to my dealer the day I picked up my car of course they want to sell me GMPP total plus so I had fire power and they matched prices. SO DO THE LEG WORK GET PRICE FROM A NUMBER OF DEALERS.......:canada:

Like 81Wayne say's shop around, as you do not have to buy the warranty from your dealer, I shopped around and got prices of the 84 month warranty GMPP total plus, the highest was $3390 and lowest was $2190 when I went to my dealer the day I picked up my car of course they want to sell me GMPP total plus so I had fire power and they matched prices. SO DO THE LEG WORK GET PRICE FROM A NUMBER OF DEALERS.......:canada:

I know it was a long time ago (2005) but I found that the warranty on my 2003 was something that could be negotiated and the price really did vary from dealership to dealership. With the amount of electronics on these cars I think the extended warranty would be well worth the investment.

Let us know how you made out getting the extend warranty.

Extended Warranty cost

I know it was a long time ago (2005) but I found that the warranty on my 2003 was something that could be negotiated and the price really did vary from dealership to dealership. With the amount of electronics on these cars I think the extended warranty would be well worth the investment.

Let us know how you made out getting the extend warranty.

Got mine for a great price, and yes it can be negotiated as I do believe that the money that the dealer charges he keeps 50% and the rest goes to GM and they throw all that money into a pot to run the warranty plan. So dealers can vary prices as they get to keeps 50%, so shop around.........

Sounds like I was looking at the world through crystal red tintcoat glasses. I did not shop around. I 'think' my extended warranty is a GM warranty but will have to ask.

As for extended warranties, I have gone the umbrella/no rain route simply due to experience. First couple of new cars I just went with the standard warranty. Within months of the warranty expiring I had some significant repairs - door window motor fails twice on my Ford, a transfer box fail on my Jeep Cherokee and water pump fail on my Camaro. Bought the extended warranty for the next Jeep and my current Pathfinder and now even past the extended warranty on the Pathfinder and only a battery fail after four years. Yes, I cannot deny that the MTBF is longer these days with the later model vee-hickles. The longer MTBF does have to be taken into consideration.

When I factory ordered my 2003 - 50th Anniversary Red edition I opted to not buy extended warranty. That Corvette was the best car I have ever owned. Took it to a dealer for its 1st oil and change and to this day over the last 11 years the only time it was ever in the dealer again was for a front wheel alignment, otherwise not 1 single warranty issue. Not even so much as a bulb. The Vette was flawless. Warranty is often a gamble that most people never get a chance to take advantage of. Like some say any problems are usually going to happen within the 1st year and you don't have to buy extended right away.

81Wayne, my 03 never had any issues except for the bad seal on the drivers side diff. It continued to leak even after the replacement. I took the extended warranty because of that issue. Eventually discovered the mechanic screwed up the initial repair (did not replace the crush washers). Since then the car was never back to a GM dealer.

Dasilva Motorsport did a number of maintenance functions last year. I had no issues with leaving it with them, never would have left it at the dealer.

I agree the C5's are a great car.

I paid $2341 for the 84 month, 80k km, GMPP extended warranty. $100 deductible, just checked my invoice. Dealer claimed it was on sale last summer when I bought , normally about $3k. I didn't mind spending the money on it considering it's a $75k car, peace of mind. I will no doubt keep it thru the entire warranty period. Normally I would not buy extended warranties on anything, this is one exception.

Last edited:
I paid $2341 for the 84 month, 80k km, GMPP extended warranty. $100 deductible, just checked my invoice. Dealer claimed it was on sale last summer when I bought , normally about $3k. I didn't mind spending the money on it considering it's a $75k car, peace of mind. I will no doubt keep it thru the entire warranty period. Normally I would not buy extended warranties on anything, this is one exception.

:agree: [nods]

I think it depends on how you look at it. As stricly an investment, no, but investing in protecting your investment, yes. Repairs whether wear and tear or not are expensive for these cars. Knowing that my car is covered over the next 7 years is an investment in my sleep.:agree:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.