Scottb - my dream was to build a C3 with a big block. Total supermod but look 100% original. You are helping make the choice to do a factory five build instead.
I look forward to following your progress!

Some pictures of this weeks work. Hopefully next week I can get the passenger side done. From what I've seen so far, it seems the body was held down by the # 1, 5, 4 and 7 mounts and #4 was a stretch
20210730_084837.jpg
Repair to #4 mount20210730_101245.jpg
Welded in patch #2 mount (I hate welding over my head. Only started one small fire lol)20210730_101225.jpg
New cage #4 mount. Not yet riveted20210730_101206.jpg
New #3 mount welded in and rustproofed (gotta hide those ugly welds lol)

So a good day. Got the passenger side bushings in. Caught a break on that side - only the #7 mount had to be replaced. The rest of the rocker channel was in good shape. I did have to cut the cage off at the #6 mount as I couldn't get the bolt out. Welded that that back in (what an awkward spot with the body up a few inches) along with the #7 repair patch I ordered. No fires today! A new cage for the #8 and she's sitting on all new bushings! Still have to have the wife crawl in the back so I can pop rivet the cages on but so glad that part of the job is over. Next up - reinstall the diff and driveshaft. Still waiting on the bearing setup tool so no trailing arm install yet.
Keep you posted

Got the differential installed this morning and driveshaft installed this afternoon. Only dropped the cups a half dozen times attaching it to the diff yoke. A few choice words were heard to say the least. Two more things off the list.
It's Friday and time for "tea". A good weekend to all.

So after a brief hiatus (life does get in the way sometimes), I was able to get a few things done. Got the trailing arm bushings in and finally received the wheel bearing setup tool so I was able to install the bearings on one side. New front wheel bearings on the drivers side, caliper rebuild and new rotor. Hoping to get the trailing arms installed later this week but we'll see what life has to say.

Another afternoon in the garage and a little more progress. Trailing arms in, half shafts in. Aligned the trailing arms (thanks google) using the string along the frame method. I also used an 8 foot aluminum bar for initial setup. Drivers side is 101.4 mm from frame to string (front/back) with 1.8 mm toe in. Passenger side 100.2 mm with 1.8 mm toe in. I set everything with the trailing arms about 2.5 inches from the bump stop. I'm thinking that's pretty close to ride height. Camber is 0 degs and I'll recheck when the tires hit the pavement again. We'll see how she tracks. Leaf spring is back in too.
20210908_140041.jpg
String method

Attachments

• 20210908_140041.jpg
    20210908_140041.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 9
Well, she's out (temporarily at least. Got my son's Corolla in the garage now). Took it for a short drive and it tracked nicely so I'm pleased with that. Still have to align the doors and finish the interior work but I think the hard stuff is out of the way.
To all of you who do body off restos I tip my hat to you20210918_140440.jpg
Seeing the sunshine for the first time in four months

Well, she's out (temporarily at least. Got my son's Corolla in the garage now). Took it for a short drive and it tracked nicely so I'm pleased with that. Still have to align the doors and finish the interior work but I think the hard stuff is out of the way.
To all of you who do body off restos I tip my hat to youView attachment 87144
Seeing the sunshine for the first time in four months
Great job Scott. Kodoo's to all your hard work getting the car driveable again. :thumbs:

• Agree
Reactions: 12cents and Carson
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread