ScottB

Casual User
May 18, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
1974 Corvette 454
Province
PEI
So awhile back I posted that my son surprised me with a '74 454 (nice surprise - said it coyld be my new hobby). It made a grinding sound when backing up so I put it up on the Quickjacks to have a look. I read it could be the parking brake so that was the first line. Never did get that far as whoever was in there last torqued things so tight I rounded a bolt. While up, I noticed the lower leaf spring bushing looked odd. Turned out someone used hockey pucks (NHL sanctioned?) as the bushings. Also the strut rod bushings were shot, shocks toast, wheel bearing done and there is 1/8" play at the side yokes. Figure I better look into that. After removing the spare tire carrier I discover the differential housing cracked at one of the leaf spring attachment points.
Feel better now......just had to rant.

Still love my son

Attachments

• 20210612_151026.jpg
    20210612_151026.jpg
    845.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 20210612_151040.jpg
    20210612_151040.jpg
    685.1 KB · Views: 92
Well he did say hobby. :) I’m sure that after these findings there will be be hobby work to do. Take lots of pics, post and we’ll commiserate along with you.

So after yesterdays rant I got back at it this morning. Leaf spring is out, driveshaft is out (more bad u joints) and diff is out. Have to investigate the side yoke play

Attachments

• 20210613_104505.jpg
    20210613_104505.jpg
    505.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20210613_104532.jpg
    20210613_104532.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Wow
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
So I'm still at it, and finding more things to replace lol. After the trailing arms came out, I thought I'd look at the body mounts - a little concerned when I noticed the "made in Slovakia" (hockey pucks) body mounts for #4 and #8. So all the mounts are except #1 and 5 are toast. New ones on order. It's the gift that keeps on giving (headaches). Expecting a big order this week so I can start on the diff and all the bushings.
20210712_151916.jpg
body mount #3
20210712_151935.jpg
body mount #4
20210712_151952.jpg
body mount #7
20210712_152014.jpg
Slovakian hockey puck #8 mount (sigh)
20210712_152030.jpg
#2 mount
20210712_152251.jpg
A little empty back here

Wow! I would be checking the rear frame swing arm pocket assembly and birdcage for rot there as well, being your body mount areas are badly rotted. If those areas are rotten or very thin you may want to reevaluate your project. Sorry, just saying. Best of luck!

It doesn't seem good, but it also seems like you know what you are doing, and the car was a gift.
A smart a## would say "what would you expect for nuthin" (LOL). Truthfully, lets hope its only a bit more restoration than you thought, hate to see an old vette go to the wreckers. Good luck, we'll watch yer posts.

Thanks for the replies. Luckily the trailing arm pockets are in good shape and from what I can see the frame is good too. Lots of undercoating went on the car.

The birdcage has had some work done to it from what I was told. New windshield and frame. The lower? We'll see when the body gets raised. Hoping the rot ends where the pics show and I don't need a whole rocker rebuild.

When I got the car it had and still has 86000 miles on it and I won't be putting too many on a year. I understand the 454 can be a thirst devil lol.

I have to admit it has been challenging and frustrating at times but I love a challenge. Looking forward to getting that big box of parts this week. I'll keep you posted

A tiny step forward this weekend. The differential is buttoned up after new bearings, side yoke and cover. Not a big step forward but at least some parts are off the dining room table! On to the body mounts while I await the rear bearing setup tools.

Reactions: OL Yeller
Back at it this week. Patched the big hole in the fiberglass on the #4 mount. Got lucky (I guess) with the rocker channel. Only rotten at the #2 and #3 mounts. Welded in the #3 repair patch I received and a patch i made to go under the rocker at the #2 mount. I will NEVER give up my day job to become a welder lol. Also welded in a small patch at the bottom if the birdcage (#2 mount). Bushings are in and time to move on to the other side. I wonder what surprises await?

Back at it this week. Patched the big hole in the fiberglass on the #4 mount. Got lucky (I guess) with the rocker channel. Only rotten at the #2 and #3 mounts. Welded in the #3 repair patch I received and a patch i made to go under the rocker at the #2 mount. I will NEVER give up my day job to become a welder lol. Also welded in a small patch at the bottom if the birdcage (#2 mount). Bushings are in and time to move on to the other side. I wonder what surprises await?
Cudos on the progress, post progress pictures please.

• Agree
Reactions: 12cents
Hey Scott, Just a short word of encouragement towards your endeavor. As much as the surprises keep popping, looks like you can handle it and will be turning them into achievements that will give you lots of satisfaction.
But it does sound like you will be spending quite a bit of time in the garage (not a bad thing!). So one piece of advice... Get a nice fridge in there, and 'guilt' your son into restocking with your refreshment of choice when he visits. It will make the journey even better. ;):Cheers2:

Good luck and lots of success with your project!!
Cheers, Luke

1627729907096.png

Hey Luke. Like your fridge. In my small garage (12*24), between the car and my woodworking tools, unless I hung a fridge from the wall, there'd be no room lol. Of course I could just whistle for the wife.......
I see you're from St. Bruno. We lived up near Mont Tremblant untill 3 years ago. Nice spot St. Bruno.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread