This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

A/C swap?

boB E

Casual User
Sep 5, 2013
Owen Sound ON
VetteCoins
Car
1978 coupe
It was Graham who told me to bring on the questions----soooo---here goes!
I have an 87 Monte Carlo LS 350 . Do u think I can rob the A/C from it and put it in my 78 c3. or will i have probs getting it to fit? It may be a winter project because I do have lots of more pressing work to do on this car.

Your saying your '78 doesn't have AC Bob or is it just not working? If the car never had AC there is a lot of work to do to retrofit it. And C3 AC is moderately effective at best. Just take the T-tops off and roll the windows down. Cheaper and works better.

a/c

Works for me!!----that is take tops off----but ---better half will demand air or she may not ride----There is no air in the 78. I'm up for the task but I wonder about the dash panel controls?

If you want to do a retrofit, Vintage Air may be your best bet as they give you everything for the conversion. I see kits for up to a 76 Corvette and am not familiar enough with the changes to know why it doesn't extend through 82. I'm sure one call will resolve that.

Center stack was changed in '77 Riley.

Works for me!!----that is take tops off----but ---better half will demand air or she may not ride----There is no air in the 78. I'm up for the task but I wonder about the dash panel controls?

Get a new better half or leave her at home.

But seriously, I have air in my '75 and never use it. The dash vents are nearly useless and I've had the whole dash removed and sealed every vent up. It blows cold air but it has a hard time over coming the heat coming up through the trans tunnel and floor. It's a C3; get used to being hot. You'll spend a small fortune putting air in it.

That's a good reason right there to forget the AC.

Like the others have told you, to retro fit will be a big task that is really not worth it. The only time I run my AC in my 88 is to keep it lubed. Top down is the only way to fly.

With that said, I think you will get more benefit from insulating the floor and tunnel area with them sheets they sell. The tranny area does throw a lot of heat.

Just my nickel's worth.

I haven't had it for a long ride so far, only around the block. It has new carpets so maybe the previous owner has already installed those sheets. The seats are bolted to the floor with no runners so I will be taking them out and I will know then.
P.S.--There's not a Vette in the world that can cook like my Girl---she's staying!!

nothing from the 87 monte will swap to your 78 c3. all the air conditioning components are corvette specific. the compressor may or may not work, the last year of monte that i have listed as compatible is 84 but i do believe it requires corvette mounting brackets and perhaps the pulley.

Thanks

Thanks for your replies, I guess I'll work on the other concerns and forget the air for now! Found a "new" rear caliper with the mounting bolts only half in. Could have been a safety issue. All in all I'm satisfied with my purchase----so far.