Feb 11, 2019
VetteCoins
I have a new issue with what i think is the tensioner for the AC pump. I know someone here can confirm or refute my thoughts and lead me down the right path.

I am getting a squeeling noise (like metal on metal) coming from the right front of the engine. Without the A/C engaged, i get the noise. When I turn on the A/C, the noise disappears. Is this the tensioner pulley for the drive belt for the A/C? Is it the A/C clutch bearing? To me it sounds similar to the noise that came out of the tensioner on the front of the engine before I replaced it about 4-5 years ago. All my pulleys and tensioner were replaced at the same time.

Any advice?

Edited to add sounds with A/C on, off and on again.

Attachments

• VID_20230911_190103435[1].mp4
    62.7 MB
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I was asked by the parts manager (and former Mechanic) at a local GM dealership to remove the A/C belt and spin the clutch to see if indeed the tensioner bearing was bad. I did this and the sound above was indeed coming from the A/C clutch bearing, the tensioner pully didn't make a sound. So I guess i'll be hoping that the clutch bearing can be replaced without taking off the compressor -- a youtube search just enlightened me to the fact that removing the compressor is a PITA.

I know nothing of Corvettes, but why is it a PITA to re&re?
Other than the obvious with the freon.
It's the position of the compressor that makes it a PIA. Without removing multiple other things including the exhaust/header on that side the PIA is getting at it and getting it out and the new one in. Even with the header removed you still have to have at least one arm that simultaneously can bend in 4 different directions at once.

ac.png

It's the position of the compressor that makes it a PIA. Without removing multiple other things including the exhaust/header on that side the PIA is getting at it and getting it out and the new one in. Even with the header removed you still have to have at least one arm that simultaneously can bend in 4 different directions at once.

View attachment 114026
Ruuff, I hope that pic wasn't of your previous Corvette. The person that did the welding on the header needs a bit more practice I think.:Biggrin:

Ruuff, I hope that pic wasn't of your previous Corvette. The person that did the welding on the header needs a bit more practice I think.:Biggrin:
lol.... No not mine. I noticed that as well. I'm not an accomplished welder but I think even I could do a cleaner job than that with my mig. At worst, I would have ground it down so at least it would have looked better.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread