72ray

72ray
Casual User
Aug 7, 2018
Sydney Australia
VetteCoins
Car
1972 coupe 350 TH400
My A/C guy tells me my compressor has had it. Wondering about my options. What are your thoughts/ experiences with remanufactured compressors? How about the aluminum replacement units?
I’m guessing the root of the problem was that my car was previously sitting pretty well unused for quite some time. TIA

Attachments

• iOS Image - 2037864619.jpg
    iOS Image - 2037864619.jpg
    682.6 KB · Views: 43
  • iOS Image - 3744946159.jpg
    iOS Image - 3744946159.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
JMHO but if that sweet Stingray of yours is bone stock now, then I would make every effort to keep in that way. If there's mods already, then more options are out there for ya. :thumbs:

Yeah, good points you’ve made there. It is very original and I’d like to see it stay that way. A new compressor unit is going to ‘sting’ alright but I’m sure the cool air and joy of lifting the bonnet to see the heart of the beast is still as it was in the day will be worth it for years to come.

Reactions: ddgermann
those original compressors were very good units, I have a few of them running as many farm equipment companies used them also, even Ford used them. They are virtually trouble free other than a leaky seal eventually or clutch bearing, both which can be easily replaced. Should be cheaper to rebuild yours than buying a Rebuilt one , my guess just a seal kit and if you can do it yourself then not a big deal. Probably hard to find R12 freon there, but if not then 134a will be next choice. Or if any salvage yards out there, go looking under the hood of any old GM's or Fords and if you see a compressor all lines in tact yet press the high or low valve and if it has pressure then you know that one is good ( just like a tire valve ).

Reactions: turbozig and 72ray
those original compressors were very good units, I have a few of them running as many farm equipment companies used them also, even Ford used them. They are virtually trouble free other than a leaky seal eventually or clutch bearing, both which can be easily replaced. Should be cheaper to rebuild yours than buying a Rebuilt one , my guess just a seal kit and if you can do it yourself then not a big deal. Probably hard to find R12 freon there, but if not then 134a will be next choice. Or if any salvage yards out there, go looking under the hood of any old GM's or Fords and if you see a compressor all lines in tact yet press the high or low valve and if it has pressure then you know that one is good ( just like a tire valve ).
Great tip! Thanks

$800 Aussie dollars for the NEW compressor (fitted and recharged) did hurt a little but it’s done 👍. Initially the heater/air conditioning fan wouldn’t turn off and now has stopped altogether. Fun times! It only dribbled cool air and now I can only get heat (& a lot of it). The heater/ ac ducting all appears to be in place but the flaps/doors in the foot wells appeared to be in need of lubricant. Any general tips re addressing this area in an effort to improve efficiency of the a/c? TIA

Reactions: Fast.asleep
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread