Wes4975

I'm New Here
Mar 11, 2018
Denver
VetteCoins
I recently bought a 72 corvette. My car emits gas fumes for several days after I drive it. I heard it could be the charcoal canister , but I can't find a replacement for it. Any advice would be appreciated .

I would recommend checking all the rubber fuel hoses at the pump and back at the tank. My 70 hoses were all original, cracking and brittle. They were weeping from the connections. A quick and relatively easy fix. Also check the fuel sending unit gasket on the bottom of your tank. The carburetor gaskets and fittings are also something to check first. Best of luck.

My ‘75 had a fuel vapour smell many years ago...I couldn’t figure it out either.
A couple of months later I was under the car cleaning and generally poking around.
I found some dirt/sand built-up in an area on the frame rail just ahead of the rear wheel.
When I started cleaning with a small brush I realized this was ‘caked’ around the fuel line next to the frame..
The line had almost rusted thru due to this build-up of dirt holding moisture.
I cut out the bad section of line and replaced it with a length of the best rubber fuel line I could buy.
It is now a regular part of my 5-year maintenance to replace that rubber line.

Ya never know where that leak might be coming from.
Having a fuel leak is not good.

Good luck
Graham

I had the classic old car gas smell for years. It was fairly strong and always made me wonder if I had a gas leak somewhere. I checked the canister, the lines, and the gas cap (those do wear and need to be replaced), but the gas smell never went away. When I switched to an efi setup the gas smell went away. Now it is a bit expensive but if it bothers you it might be the solution. You get other benefits along with better fuel economy, usually more power from an extremely accurate tune, and drivability especially on long road trips where you’re going to be changing elevation. They also have somecost effective options like Fitech and the Holley Sniper.

If you’re feeling bored one winter, I’d recommend cleaning up your gas lines, as long as they’re in decent condition. That would really suck to have a line rust through on you like Graham’s. A few winters ago I was doing an engine swap and had the fuel lines disconnected. Cleaned them up with a red scotch bright pad, polished them, then clear coated them with POR 15. They turned out very nice and it gives me piece of mind knowing there isn’t any rust working it’s way through them.

Attachments

• DB8AA474-D525-45A3-B0F8-95F493BFEC1B.jpeg
    DB8AA474-D525-45A3-B0F8-95F493BFEC1B.jpeg
    764.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Western Corvette is also a good source if you live near Calgary. They have some parts cars and a bunch of spare parts. If they don’t have anything used they might be able to source you a new one. I looked at corvette depot and it doesn’t appear they sell one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.