Nic69

Casual User
Feb 27, 2015
Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
1968 coupe
Good morning all,
I have found a 71 coupe, 350(270hp), 350 trans that has been parked in a garage since mid 90's. Looks ok as far as paint, was a good driver at the time it was parked, doesn't appear to have any frame damage, but I am going to re look at this this weekend again.
No attempt to start or make it even turn over. It wasn't "stored" as in engine fogged or anything when parked, just got left there and know one has touched it.
Interior looks to be nice, it has been parked in this dry cement floor garage so no sunlight or moisture issues really.

If I am going to give them a price for it as, what do you think it's worth the way it sits?

Thanks
Nic

Wowser. That does sound like a great find. But, as with any major purchase, be cautious and check (or have it checked) over well. We have lots of members that are way more experienced with the C3 than I am. Yes Murray. That is the chrome bumper front and rear. Too sweet! :thumbs:

Nic69...
Make arrangements to have a knowledgable Corvette mechanic take a peek at the car.
It might be the best $100 you ever spent, especially if you do not buy the car.
Frozen brakes, frame damage, bad trailing arms are all expensive Corvette issues.
Get some advice on how to properly fire-up that motor...unless you're assuming it has to come apart anyway.

Good luck with your purchase.
Ask any questions here and we will attempt to help.

Graham

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Thanks for all the good tips, I'm going to do my best to work out a deal with them, but I do want to look it over a bit more.
the owners aren't sure what they want for it and I don't want to insult them, but I've got a bit of an idea of what it is worth, so I'll cross my fingers.
If anyone else has an input, keep it coming. I'm going on Saturday I think to look at it again. I'm doing my homework this week before I do.

Thanks again!
Nic

...well I'm sure the fuel system and brakes are screwed. Pull the dipstick and see where the oil level is at. If no coolant leaks into the oil pan then that is a plus. Exhaust system may or may not have rotted here and there. Any sign of mice ? Tires are old , so not worth anything really. Has the upholstery dried up ? , vinyl / leather will crack now if you sit on it etc. First thing I would do is put a battery in , hook up a gallon of gas to the fuel pump instead of pulling from the tank , take off the air cleaner and try start it . If it goes then watch the carb to see if it don't overflow and flood out so not to catch fire. Slim chance brakes work or maybe only one wheel will lock up but still a problem, you don't know till you hit the pedal. If driven out the the emergency brake may be safest to use if the cable ain't rusted too. Look for body cracks , how the doors align and gaps. Do the headlights open close ? If has A/C grab the pulley on the compressor and see if it turns. Take out the kick panels by the feet and slam the door a few times. If you see rust falling on the floor mat or in the fender hole then it is rusted up in the pillar, not good.

my car also had been stored long term when i bought it, 17 years. a big plus is that means it has never had modern low zzdp engine oil or ethanol fuel. i changed the oil and filter using the correct zzdp additive, changed the fuel filter and primed the oil pump. a new battery and it fired right away.

my car also had been stored long term when i bought it, 17 years. a big plus is that means it has never had modern low zzdp engine oil or ethanol fuel. i changed the oil and filter using the correct zzdp additive, changed the fuel filter and primed the oil pump. a new battery and it fired right away.
What brand of oil additive did you use?

i use delco E.O.S. it's available at gm dealers parts counter, a MUST for a flat tappet camshaft engine. i use it in my shark, chevelle and the racecar. i premix it at one 16oz bottle to 5lt oil. only about 8 bucks per bottle. gm mechanics use it as assembly lube as well.

Happy Easter everyone,
I've had some time to look the car over and its getting close to trying to fire it, I've put some sea foam deep creep down each cylinder and let it soak, I'm going to prime the oil pump then going to try to start it in the next week or so. I got a bore scope and looked down each cylinder and it looks good in there so hears hoping.
Work has been getting in the way and I've been partially restoring my 68 in the mean time, I just need to quit work so I can play with my toys!
Hope everyone has a nice long weekend!

Nic

Reactions: stpman
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.