N

navion

Just wondering if any of you have installed the 3m protective film on your cars? I have heard it works quite well but they recommend having a professional installer put it on. Does it stand out on the car or does it blend right into the colour of the car? Might save some stone chips etc. from happening but I don't want anything that is going to be visible to any extent.

I've had it since 08 on my 08 and I also have it on major wear areas .I love it and consider it something that is at the top of the list to ever buy on a car .No yellowing or discoloring on machine silver .You wax and clean it just like everything else .I would never consider installing it myself ,I'd recommend a pro install .

Good afternoon Elf,

What did it cost back in the day to get this done??

I've been giving it some thought for a while and the concensus seems to be that it is a worthwhile thing to do.

How extensive/far did you go with this?

Cheers,

Garry

Just wondering if any of you have installed the 3m protective film on your cars? I have heard it works quite well but they recommend having a professional installer put it on. Does it stand out on the car or does it blend right into the colour of the car? Might save some stone chips etc. from happening but I don't want anything that is going to be visible to any extent.

This is a service we provide . Our installer is one of the best around , and you would be very happy with the results .

Hey Manny, there seems to be different 3m products and I don't know what the differences are? Can you advise and an estimate of time to install on zr1 and approx. cost please? Thx.

Good afternoon Elf,

What did it cost back in the day to get this done??

I've been giving it some thought for a while and the concensus seems to be that it is a worthwhile thing to do.

How extensive/far did you go with this?

Cheers,

Garry
Manny can tell you better than I about cost .The gentleman who did mine installed it for the cost of materials only which was in the range of $200 at the time and I could be off .

What I had done was the front clip up to the break .In back of all the wheels the rocker panels and the door handle pockets .Those are the primary damage areas of damage on a C6 .The nose area has taken some pretty good hits which would have really left some serious chips .Another plus is if you have bugs in Canada it's easier to clean if you use a heavier base wax .

The cost to do a C5 or C6 depends on how much coverage you want , and the type of film being used . There are varying thickness and some will make it look like you are getting a bargain , but they just use cheaper thinner film .

Paul's 2010 Z06 was done complete in 10mm:
Bumper
Hood
Headlights
Fenders
rockers
Rear quarters

The total cost was $1500.00

I do have pricing by the section and can provide it if anyone is interested .

Good evening Manny,

What does the 10mm refer to, it can't be the thickness unless we're talking mils and not mm........??

Do people ever get the area above the windshield done??

Cheers,

Garry

Just had mine done, the tech came to my house to do it. He did the front bumper, the spliter, the fog and headlight, 1/3 hood, 1/3 of the front fendres, the mirrors, the 2 carbon fiber part on each side, the 2 rocker panels and the front part of the quarter panels. The front bumper and spliter took him quite some time as there is a lot of curves and it is pretty low. He used a 3M film that can be stretch 370% of its original size. It is almost perfectly invisible. I was going to buy a kit on the net and try to do it myself but since I saw what kind of job it is and the equipement he used to make it fit good, I would suggest to leave that to a pro.

The cost to do a C5 or C6 depends on how much coverage you want , and the type of film being used . There are varying thickness and some will make it look like you are getting a bargain , but they just use cheaper thinner film .

Paul's 2010 Z06 was done complete in 10mm:
Bumper
Hood
Headlights
Fenders
rockers
Rear quarters

The total cost was $1500.00

I do have pricing by the section and can provide it if anyone is interested .
The price looks reasonable for the area done .I did not do the hood, fenders and headlights .I think it really is relative to where an individual wants to stop .Price by the section makes it practical for more budgets .Knowing what you know I doubt if you'd recommend someone trying to install this on their own .

The price looks reasonable for the area done .I did not do the hood, fenders and headlights .I think it really is relative to where an individual wants to stop .Price by the section makes it practical for more budgets .Knowing what you know I doubt if you'd recommend someone trying to install this on their own .

Sorry for the typo guys , it s MIL not mm .

Its not something I would do myself and I have a talent or 2 :D

A professional installer is recommended .

Manny, I mentioned in my original post that there are several 3M brand's of film and I was wondering exactly what is the difference between them aside from cost.

Good morning,

I sort of thought so. 10 mm would be 1 cm which would have been more like a plexiglass sheet instead of a film!

Any chance it might make side mirrors stronger in case of owner stupidity??!!

Awaiting results of 3rd railcar of wheat shipped. If it grades #1 I might be able to tackle this............less expensive than repainting and probably much better than my current chip filling attempts on other vehicles!

Cheers,

Garry

My only question is on the hood area ,that area gets direct sun and engine heat .I'm not saying it's a problem but I'd be alert.

The product is very durable and heat/yellow resistant. I've never had any issues with that on previous installs.-- and I believe it's guaranteed not to discolour too.

C.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.