Status
Not open for further replies.
At a 26% exchange rate, $160,000 US works out to over $217,100 CDN. If you can get your car for S206,000 now, that converts to $151,800 US.
GM could make over $8,000 more by selling your car to someone in the US and tens of thousands more by selling your car to someone in Europe,
the middle east, Japan or Australia as a right hand drive. We in Canada for years, have experienced the lowest price cars out of all the export markets.
The taxation is an entirely different matter. I do not know where your from.

At a 26% exchange rate, $160,000 US works out to over $217,100 CDN. If you can get your car for S206,000 now, that converts to $151,800 US.
GM could make over $8,000 more by selling your car to someone in the US and tens of thousands more by selling your car to someone in Europe,
the middle east, Japan or Australia as a right hand drive. We in Canada for years, have experienced the lowest price cars out of all the export markets.
The taxation is an entirely different matter. I do not know where your from.

At 26% exchange 160k USD = 201,600.00 CDN not 217k, however that isn't the point. A 20k price increase in 1 model year is unacceptable in any business model IMO. I understand the 2024 has some technological upgrades, however those don't justify the price increase. Not to mention the fact the car is having ongoing DCT issues, engine problems and possible oil leaks. I have been on the Z06 list for over 3 years and have now worked my way down to #2 spot, the longer it takes the more the price will go up for the same car I will be lucky if I see an allocation by this time next year. The price at that time will probably have gone up even more, not to mention the fact that with all the constraints you most likely won't be able to order what you want anyways. GM has done a good job of dangling the carrot and not being able to deliver. If GM wants to price gouge Canadians then hand out more allocations, I live in BC so don't even get me started on the Taxes here.

At 26% exchange 160k USD = 201,600.00 CDN not 217k, however that isn't the point. A 20k price increase in 1 model year is unacceptable in any business model IMO. I understand the 2024 has some technological upgrades, however those don't justify the price increase. Not to mention the fact the car is having ongoing DCT issues, engine problems and possible oil leaks. I have been on the Z06 list for over 3 years and have now worked my way down to #2 spot, the longer it takes the more the price will go up for the same car I will be lucky if I see an allocation by this time next year. The price at that time will probably have gone up even more, not to mention the fact that with all the constraints you most likely won't be able to order what you want anyways. GM has done a good job of dangling the carrot and not being able to deliver. If GM wants to price gouge Canadians then hand out more allocations, I live in BC so don't even get me started on the Taxes here.
I think he meant 36% exchange rate.

Reactions: Mr.Corvette
The Canadian increase for 2024 is $22,000.

$18,100 base price, plus $3900 in additional luxury tax. It's insane, GM has never done anything like that before that I am aware of. Incredibly thankful I managed to get my 2023 Z06 instead of it getting pushed to 24.

Yes lucky you. Not me: after waiting almost 3 years for a Z06 allocation, I'm faced with a HUGE and unprecedented price increase. Don't forget to add the associated HST or GST, to that $22,000 extra, which means to actual increased cost to Canadians is even more.

And comparing Canada to other markets to somehow justify or explain the "made only for Canada massive price increase", isn't fair or accurate. Shipping costs from the USA for a C8, to Europe or other overseas markets, are vastly different compared to what it costs to truck/train a vehicle on the ground, from the States to Canada. Transportation to Canada has been going on for a long time and there's a well established network in place. Those other markets have different rules/regulations that impact "foreign/imported" vehicle pricing. GM has to recoup its design and production costs, for the right-hand drive C8, so some of the higher overseas pricing is for that reason. Canada has its own rules/regulations such as our metric system, which isn't a big deal when setting up electronics that switch between metric and imperial, which vehicle electronics have been in place for a long time now. Canada has a large/developed GM dealer network in place, compared to these overseas markets. So Canada can easily handle warranty claims and the charge back from the Canadian dealer network to GM has been carefully considered and worked out, again for a LONG time. Canadian vehicle pricing for GM product, in relation to what it charges for in the States, has been set for decades and GM still manages to make a profit and keep its Canadian dealers in business. Those past Canadian prices were carefully considered and set specifically for our Canadian market, separate and apart from other markets.

The Canadian new MY (model year) prices have NEVER increased to the same level as our 2024 C8 increase. And finally, GM chose to make this massive price increase, all in the same MY, as opposed to incrementally. That demonstrates its attitude towards Canadian hopeful C8 purchasers and IMO shows that GM is counting on a large decrease of Canadian orders, which will better enable it to compete globally with the C8 line, by providing even more allocations to the overseas markets it's looking to develop. And is you think I'm wrong about that, you need only look to where ALL our Canadian allocations went, when we faced a past drop of almost 50% of our regular allocations all in the same MY: they went to Europe, Australia and Japan...NONE of those overseas allocations came from the regular percentage of allocations given to the States. So once more, it was a "made only for Canada" allocation alteration.

To try and justify this or explain it away...and smooth over the anger from (previously loyal) Canadian C8/GM fans like me, isn't possible. My 2 (very unhappy) cents.

Reactions: PapaSmurf
Yes lucky you. Not me: after waiting almost 3 years for a Z06 allocation, I'm faced with a HUGE and unprecedented price increase. Don't forget to add the associated HST or GST, to that $22,000 extra, which means to actual increased cost to Canadians is even more.

And comparing Canada to other markets to somehow justify or explain the "made only for Canada massive price increase", isn't fair or accurate. Shipping costs from the USA for a C8, to Europe or other overseas markets, are vastly different compared to what it costs to truck/train a vehicle on the ground, from the States to Canada. Transportation to Canada has been going on for a long time and there's a well established network in place. Those other markets have different rules/regulations that impact "foreign/imported" vehicle pricing. GM has to recoup its design and production costs, for the right-hand drive C8, so some of the higher overseas pricing is for that reason. Canada has its own rules/regulations such as our metric system, which isn't a big deal when setting up electronics that switch between metric and imperial, which vehicle electronics have been in place for a long time now. Canada has a large/developed GM dealer network in place, compared to these overseas markets. So Canada can easily handle warranty claims and the charge back from the Canadian dealer network to GM has been carefully considered and worked out, again for a LONG time. Canadian vehicle pricing for GM product, in relation to what it charges for in the States, has been set for decades and GM still manages to make a profit and keep its Canadian dealers in business. Those past Canadian prices were carefully considered and set specifically for our Canadian market, separate and apart from other markets.

The Canadian new MY (model year) prices have NEVER increased to the same level as our 2024 C8 increase. And finally, GM chose to make this massive price increase, all in the same MY, as opposed to incrementally. That demonstrates its attitude towards Canadian hopeful C8 purchasers and IMO shows that GM is counting on a large decrease of Canadian orders, which will better enable it to compete globally with the C8 line, by providing even more allocations to the overseas markets it's looking to develop. And is you think I'm wrong about that, you need only look to where ALL our Canadian allocations went, when we faced a past drop of almost 50% of our regular allocations all in the same MY: they went to Europe, Australia and Japan...NONE of those overseas allocations came from the regular percentage of allocations given to the States. So once more, it was a "made only for Canada" allocation alteration.

To try and justify this or explain it away...and smooth over the anger from (previously loyal) Canadian C8/GM fans like me, isn't possible. My 2 (very unhappy) cents.
Unless you've moved Vaughn, HST is not an issue for you... You're saving a big chunk of change compared to the rest of Canada...

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Unless you've moved Vaughn, HST is not an issue for you... You're saving a big chunk of change compared to the rest of Canada...

My post refers to “Canadians” and hst or gst”; not just me/Albertans. Being better off price-wise due to the province I live in, is like a male passenger taking satisfaction from being in first class rather than steerage, during the Titanic’s maiden voyage. As a Canadian anywhere, we’re all in the same boat and screwed (substitute another word starting with “f”) compared to other countries and the US in particular.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day

I don't disagree with you but they do because they can. Porsche game is the same if not worse--huge increases, years long wait lists and allocation games overseas. This is not going away.

True, but some customers will.
Agree. Article below is from 2021 and GM was already seeing shifting demographics. Z06, ERay, and ZR1 will only make it 'worse'.

The demographic is rapidly moving towards a younger and wealthier customer base. On premium models, I don't think the price sensitivity will be anywhere near what it may have been 10 years ago. Yes it will absolutely drive some people off outrageously long Z06 wait lists which will in turn into really long wait lists...ie lots of buyers still lining up. Another article in WSJ last week pointed to the new inventory model for auto manufacturers--it involves long waits and much closer to a true 'make to order' model. Days of inventory of premium model autos sitting on dealer lots is over for good and this all plays into the pricing model, and ultimately the profitability of the auto makers.

One of the main reasons that GM can increase the price so significantly is that there is no competition. Porsche, McLaren etc already cost more. GM can’t do the same to any other vehicle they make because Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Mazda etc would be happy to oblige potential customers.

Reactions: Murray20c8
One of the main reasons that GM can increase the price so significantly is that there is no competition. Porsche, McLaren etc already cost more. GM can’t do the same to any other vehicle they make because Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Mazda etc would be happy to oblige potential customers.
Yep and Porsche just also jacked up their prices and the have low supply

I haven't been following this stuff very closely, but I just noticed a lot of comments from people in the US saying that they are starting to see Z06's for sale at MSRP. With this trend to hopefully continue as production continues to increase and sales drop in the car market overall, I was wondering what would be involved with importing one from the States. The US price for a 1LZ is 112, 700. The Canadian price for a 1LZ is 159, 324. That's 119, 116 US, so a difference of 6, 416. Is it possible to buy a new one from a dealer or would they not sell to you when you are Canadian? Does anyone have any experience importing used cars, and what were the cost involved? I have a feeling that you would eat up that 6, 416 difference in a hurry, but I am not sure.

I haven't been following this stuff very closely, but I just noticed a lot of comments from people in the US saying that they are starting to see Z06's for sale at MSRP. With this trend to hopefully continue as production continues to increase and sales drop in the car market overall, I was wondering what would be involved with importing one from the States. The US price for a 1LZ is 112, 700. The Canadian price for a 1LZ is 159, 324. That's 119, 116 US, so a difference of 6, 416. Is it possible to buy a new one from a dealer or would they not sell to you when you are Canadian? Does anyone have any experience importing used cars, and what were the cost involved? I have a feeling that you would eat up that 6, 416 difference in a hurry, but I am not sure.
It is my understanding that a US based GM franchised dealer cannot sell a new Corvette that is not registered in the US. That said a used corvette with near zero miles can be sold to someone outside the US but it will not have warranty until it has 7500 miles and is 12 months old. The warranty situation may be changed further as there have been some Z06 sold without any warranty whatsoever due to being sold before the time restriction for resale at the time. Costs are shipping plus approx. $1000 fees for RIV and brokerage etc. and you still have to pay Luxury tax and GST.

Would you pay the luxury tax on a used Z06 from the States? My understanding was that used cars were exempt from paying the luxury tax.
Any car never registered in Canada no matter the age is subject to the Luxury tax. The cost of the vehicle plus the cost of importation etc. will be taxed also.

Reactions: DenisC8
Status
Not open for further replies.