With my 2021 I would routinely remote start the engine while walking up to the car, but my 2024 seems to lock out remote start if the engine was running less than 30min ago.

so here is the scenario: Open the garage, remote start the engine, and drive for 10 min to a coffee shop. park and go in to get a drink (maybe 5 min), walk out, hit remote start, lights on the car respond but no engine start, no error messages or any signs of error. Drive for another 5-10 min to a lake front park, park for 30-45 min, come back and remote start works again.

With my 2021 I would routinely remote start the engine while walking up to the car, but my 2024 seems to lock out remote start if the engine was running less than 30min ago.

so here is the scenario: Open the garage, remote start the engine, and drive for 10 min to a coffee shop. park and go in to get a drink (maybe 5 min), walk out, hit remote start, lights on the car respond but no engine start, no error messages or any signs of error. Drive for another 5-10 min to a lake front park, park for 30-45 min, come back and remote start works again.
I can hear the car now "Lazy askhole!" ;)

IS the car locked when you try the remote start?
There is a limit as to how long it will run when started remotely. I think that is 10 minutes. Perhaps it's a bug with that timer.

• Haha
Reactions: MKC8
Page 13 in the PDF version of the OM has a list of "remote start won't work" conditions.
Did you leave a/the backup remote "key" in the vehicle at the Tim Hortons?

"Conditions in Which Remote Start Will Not Work
The remote start will not operate if any of the following occur:
The ignition is in any mode other than off.
A remote key is in the vehicle.
The hatch/trunk is not closed..
The convertible top is not fully open or closed..
The tonneau cover is not closed..
The hazard warning flashers are on..
There is an emission control system malfunction..
The engine coolant temperature is too high..
The oil pressure is low..
The 30 minutes of engine run time have been used..
The vehicle is not in P (Park)."

What the hell does that mean?
Somehow, and this is Top Secret with Tadge level clearance required to view it, the car tracks how long the remote starts have been running for, up to the cumulative maximum total of 30 minutes per session, between driving it.
That said, I have no idea.

(I assumed all the other possibilities, including the 30 min max, were not applicable in this case)

Total Engine Run Time
Remote start can be used for up to
30 minutes of total engine run time.
After two remote starts of 15 minutes,
or multiple shorter time starts totaling
30 minutes have been used, the vehicle's
ignition must be turned on and then off
before the remote start can be used again.

The

There's the problem. The car isn't running so of course the oil pressure is low..... duh.... :Banghead:
Funny and I don't know if it's just a 2020 C8 thing, but when you put the car in accessory mode you get a low oil pressure warning on the dash. Of course there is low oil pressure when the engine isn't running!

• Informative
Since the OP has apparently left the building, I'll assume he figured it out. :Hurray:
Nope, just went for a drive to figure it.
Coolant temp not even up to the middle of the gauge. Remote start run time only 1 min while I walk up to the car to enjoy the start up sound.

Here is what I did today. Started the car the normal way, drove to the coffee shop 10min away. Went in for 5 min and returned to the car and remote started it successfully. Went for a 30 min drive, parked and shut down the car for 2-3 min, and remote started it successfully.

So my conclusion so far is there seems to be a time limit between remote starts

Last edited:
Dennis, try this, when the remote start won't work, start the car from in the car. After this, try the remote again. I believe you can only start remote 2 times.
before it has to be started from the ignition switch.
worth a shot.
I was able to start and and shut down the car via remote start 4 times in a row

I will try to replicate the issue again, and see if I can start the car via my chevy app and see if it give me an error

I was able to start and and shut down the car via remote start 4 times in a row
Hmmm then IDK This is from the 24 manual and it also was the same idea as my previous C7. "After two remote starts of 15 minutes,or multiple shorter time starts totaling30 minutes have been used, the vehicle'signition must be turned on and then off before the remote start can be used again".

• Agree
You should be able to remote start and stop the car as many times as you can do, inside the 30 minute maximum time limit, between the manual start requirements. The OM implies it's time constrained (30 minutes total), not total number of remote starts/stops in the 30 minutes.
Hot damn, I get to experience this aggravation first hand on Tuesday. :Banghead:

update: same issue continues. Car would not start at the coffee shop after it was remote started at home 10 min ago. I opened the mychevrolet app, and hit "start" nothing happened for about a minute, then the car started. Drove to the lake front park, locked the car waited couple of minutes, and tried remote starting it with no luck. unlocked it, locked it, still no remote start. Opened the door, closed the door, locked it. Hit remote start and it started. Went for a walk for 30min, came back and started the car with remote start. I will try this again with my 2nd key next to I go for this drive.

at the end of the day this is not a big deal, but I still want to figure it out.

• Agree
Reactions: Murray20c8 and MKC8
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.