Ok revised mine for 3LZ and added the full interior carbon...now at $124k USD.

Yeesh... decisions decisions
So you passed on front lift, painted nacelles, carbon fiber interior package level 1, stealth interior package and two tone seats I take it?

That difference in price along with the AWD and stealth modes I think will result in more folks hitting up the E-Ray.

Sure the Z06 sounds bananas but the E-Ray just like the Stingrays sounds great too!
most corvette buyers already own 1-2 AWD vehicles and don't daily drive their Corvette.

Don't need front lift...I've had 3 C8s without it.

I'm going coupe and Scott you sold me on just going to 3LZ as I'm spec'ing the GT2 seat for two tone anyway...
I think the tension blue is the right colour interior for riptide blue your getting and you'll like the carbon fiber steering wheel as well.

Reactions: CamsC8
A question, and I am being serious;
What are the primary reasons anyone would choose a Z06 over an E-Ray?
It seems to be a rather dominant theme here in this forum, but I have yet to figure out why.
E-Ray will have better real world performance, comfort, fuel economy and the Z06 turns 20L/100km of 91 octane into exotic engine sound LOL

but in all seriousness: C8 Z06 is the best natural aspirated pure internal combustion corvette ever made and the E-Ray is the best Corvette ever made as of now.

Reactions: DW Ruby
E-Ray will have better real world performance, comfort, fuel economy and the Z06 turns 20L/100km of 91 octane into exotic engine sound LOL

but in all seriousness: C8 Z06 is the best natural aspirated pure internal combustion corvette ever made and the E-Ray is the best Corvette ever made as of now.
Is it fair to say the fact the E-Ray derives a portion of it's hp from an electric motor is seen as a 'bad' thing by some?

I waged this internal debate about the E-Ray versus the Z06 and which one to buy, ever since the E-Ray was announced. I finally came down firmly on the Z06 side and gave away my #1 spot on my dealer's E-Ray list, no doubt swayed by attending the April 2022 Bash in Bowling Green which then focused on the Z06 with the majority of its presentations. So take that into account while reading my following comments, which you can reject as coming from someone who has "drank the Z06 Kool-Aid". In other words, my apologies in advance to Forum members like DenisC8.

Yes the E-Ray is AWD and hopefully the regenerative characteristics for the battery, will maintain its charge whenever needed and maintain the AWD. Yes the added torque is there with the additional electronic "assist" as with anything automotive and electric powered. Same comments apply for this added torque, in terms of the battery maintaining sufficient charge to support that. It's touted by GM as being the first truly year-round Corvette with its AWD but like any battery-propulsion vehicle, I question how efficiently the battery will function in colder temperatures. The stealth mode is a debatable benefit IMO, since very few will likely need/use it...most of us (like all current C8 Stingray owners) haven't been evicted from our houses due to loud start-ups...and for me, some of my neighbours actually enjoy the sound when I start my C8. And if your neighbours think the Stingray is too loud, they haven't heard the C8 Z06 start up yet, nor are they used to the sound of a 2-stroke straight-piped Harley...

BUT if we're speaking only of $$:

-the E-Ray is surprisingly close to the Z06 in pricing. Like many others, I wasn't expecting that and thought it would be priced in the middle of the Stingray and Z06 prices.

-how is the Z06 pricing justified:

a) a unique ground-up designed LT6 engine, that's "the most powerful naturally aspirated motor, ever made". As with any performance vehicle, the engine is the heart of it and accounts for most of the price
b) a Ferrari-like exhaust note from Ferrari-years long gone by and wistfully remembered, that was years in the making and came about after the original exhaust system was scrapped entirely to create the marvellous Z06 sound symphony we have today
c) a new wider body (designed for the Z06)
d) wider and newly designed tires (summer and "track"), specifically for the Z06
e) carbon fiber rims to fit the Z06, as an option, with special heat-shedding properties
f) carbon ceramic brakes, designed for the Z06, as an option
g) the list goes on, but the main reasons are above

-how is the E-Ray price justified:

a) a new electric motor and accompanying software, to "marry" the electric and ICE power for this hybrid powertrain. Not IMO "ground-breaking" electric technology or certainly I don't rank it anywhere near the LT6. Note: the E-Ray has an all-electric range of less than 5 miles and can't go over 45 mph
b) the "stealth mode" feature. You have my comments above. It also has the "shuttle mode" which is another feature with very limited applications (ie. relocating within your garage)
c) newly designed tires (all-season) that IMO take their cue from the Z06 tires (same width; fit on the Z06)
d) the same wide body developed for the Z06
e) the same LT2 engine, now in the C8 Stingray
f) the same carbon fiber rims, available as an option, just like the Z06
g) same carbon ceramic brakes as the Z06, but now mandatory and not an option

For "bang-for-your-buck" I just don't see a comparison (sorry). GM spent millions on the Z06 development and needs to recoup its investment, so priced it accordingly. I think the E-Ray is woefully over-priced for what you get, especially since it has borrowed extensively from the Z06. IMO GM is hoping the market accepts the E-Ray's high price, due to the AWD capability and increased torque. Its touted torque increase will "soon" be eclipsed by the fully EV Corvette models (SUV and sports car) and then its only benefit compared to the EV Corvette, IMO, will be that it has "natural sound" from its LT2 exhaust, which will never compare to what the Z06 has. People also have to decide if they like the "jet-engine whine" noise the E-Ray has from the electric motor (piped in?), which can be heard in the YouTube videos. Many of those future EV Corvettes will be AWD. Long-term, I think the Z06 will remain popular as one of the last naturally-aspirated power-plants, whereas the E-Ray could blend in with the future EV's that we all know are coming. All just my opinion, of course, but something I offer to others who might be experiencing the same "E-Ray versus Z06 debate" which is easy to understand when their pricing is fairly similar. And yes, I say this knowing the E-Ray includes the carbon fiber brakes, so the E-Ray price reflects that. Like any opinions expressed while we're all living through the events in question, the "truth" will be revealed in the fullness of time. Whatever your perspective, I think we can all agree that we're living in interesting automotive times, with all the new development/technology occurring amongst the different vehicle manufacturers.

A question, and I am being serious;
What are the primary reasons anyone would choose a Z06 over an E-Ray?
It seems to be a rather dominant theme here in this forum, but I have yet to figure out why.
I'll be driving a Z06 in about a month and a half to get a feel for it. I am looking forward to taking mine to the track. Less weight and better handling are a benefit. The sound of the engine and the fact that the Z06 is 340 lbs lighter than the E-Ray with the Ceramic brakes is a big difference.
I don't think it's a bad thing using F1 technology to have quick charge batteries to provide additional power when needed. The Z06 is more of a track car, the E-Ray is more of a daily driver. It has the lowest top speed of any of the Corvette models but most won't notice.
I agree with Netsinah, the development costs for developing the electric motor and software comes no where close to developing the LT6 engine from a blank sheet of paper for the Z06. The E-Ray should be 20-25K more than the Stingray and not 50K! I believe the E-Ray buyers are being gouged and GM knows that if they opened up the system to orders, dealers could fulfill the entire years allocations for E-Rays in one day, based on the waiting lists that currently exist.

Last edited:
Reactions: GM MUSL
I waged this internal debate about the E-Ray versus the Z06 and which one to buy, ever since the E-Ray was announced. I finally came down firmly on the Z06 side and gave away my #1 spot on my dealer's E-Ray list, no doubt swayed by attending the April 2022 Bash in Bowling Green which then focused on the Z06 with the majority of its presentations. So take that into account while reading my following comments, which you can reject as coming from someone who has "drank the Z06 Kool-Aid". In other words, my apologies in advance to Forum members like DenisC8.

Yes the E-Ray is AWD and hopefully the regenerative characteristics for the battery, will maintain its charge whenever needed and maintain the AWD. Yes the added torque is there with the additional electronic "assist" as with anything automotive and electric powered. Same comments apply for this added torque, in terms of the battery maintaining sufficient charge to support that. It's touted by GM as being the first truly year-round Corvette with its AWD but like any battery-propulsion vehicle, I question how efficiently the battery will function in colder temperatures. The stealth mode is a debatable benefit IMO, since very few will likely need/use it...most of us (like all current C8 Stingray owners) haven't been evicted from our houses due to loud start-ups...and for me, some of my neighbours actually enjoy the sound when I start my C8. And if your neighbours think the Stingray is too loud, they haven't heard the C8 Z06 start up yet, nor are they used to the sound of a 2-stroke straight-piped Harley...

BUT if we're speaking only of $$:

-the E-Ray is surprisingly close to the Z06 in pricing. Like many others, I wasn't expecting that and thought it would be priced in the middle of the Stingray and Z06 prices.

-how is the Z06 pricing justified:

a) a unique ground-up designed LT6 engine, that's "the most powerful naturally aspirated motor, ever made". As with any performance vehicle, the engine is the heart of it and accounts for most of the price
b) a Ferrari-like exhaust note from Ferrari-years long gone by and wistfully remembered, that was years in the making and came about after the original exhaust system was scrapped entirely to create the marvellous Z06 sound symphony we have today
c) a new wider body (designed for the Z06)
d) wider and newly designed tires (summer and "track"), specifically for the Z06
e) carbon fiber rims to fit the Z06, as an option, with special heat-shedding properties
f) carbon ceramic brakes, designed for the Z06, as an option
g) the list goes on, but the main reasons are above

-how is the E-Ray price justified:

a) a new electric motor and accompanying software, to "marry" the electric and ICE power for this hybrid powertrain. Not IMO "ground-breaking" electric technology or certainly I don't rank it anywhere near the LT6. Note: the E-Ray has an all-electric range of less than 5 miles and can't go over 45 mph
b) the "stealth mode" feature. You have my comments above. It also has the "shuttle mode" which is another feature with very limited applications (ie. relocating within your garage)
c) newly designed tires (all-season) that IMO take their cue from the Z06 tires (same width; fit on the Z06)
d) the same wide body developed for the Z06
e) the same LT2 engine, now in the C8 Stingray
f) the same carbon fiber rims, available as an option, just like the Z06
g) same carbon ceramic brakes as the Z06, but now mandatory and not an option

For "bang-for-your-buck" I just don't see a comparison (sorry). GM spent millions on the Z06 development and needs to recoup its investment, so priced it accordingly. I think the E-Ray is woefully over-priced for what you get, especially since it has borrowed extensively from the Z06. IMO GM is hoping the market accepts the E-Ray's high price, due to the AWD capability and increased torque. Its touted torque increase will "soon" be eclipsed by the fully EV Corvette models (SUV and sports car) and then its only benefit compared to the EV Corvette, IMO, will be that it has "natural sound" from its LT2 exhaust, which will never compare to what the Z06 has. People also have to decide if they like the "jet-engine whine" noise the E-Ray has from the electric motor (piped in?), which can be heard in the YouTube videos. Many of those future EV Corvettes will be AWD. Long-term, I think the Z06 will remain popular as one of the last naturally-aspirated power-plants, whereas the E-Ray could blend in with the future EV's that we all know are coming. All just my opinion, of course, but something I offer to others who might be experiencing the same "E-Ray versus Z06 debate" which is easy to understand when their pricing is fairly similar. And yes, I say this knowing the E-Ray includes the carbon fiber brakes, so the E-Ray price reflects that. Like any opinions expressed while we're all living through the events in question, the "truth" will be revealed in the fullness of time. Whatever your perspective, I think we can all agree that we're living in interesting automotive times, with all the new development/technology occurring amongst the different vehicle manufacturers.
Your opinions are greatly appreciated and taken to heart.
Now, as in any good debate, allow me to be the 'fly in the ointment'.

Let's assume for a moment that the 'end game' of GM is to produce the absolute best production sports cars in the world, but through electrification, rather than internal combustion.
Further, this lofty goal was conceived prior to the introduction of the Z06, or it's remarkable LT6 engine (bear with me).
To do this, GM would first need to set the bar, hence the LT6 engine, then raise it again with the upcoming turbo-charging of the ZR1.
Now, having reached the loftiest peaks, how do we satisfy the 'more' crowd?
Electrification, pure and simple.

Take all those millions and millions of dollars mentioned as being spent on research and development, but swap out the name E-Ray for Z06.
It can't be cheap to design and build an electrified front wheel drive, acting in unison with a ICE powered, rear wheeled monster.
The body, tires, rims, brakes, etc., etc. - how do we know it wasn't all designed for an E-Ray, then "borrowed" for the Z06?
Was the 'tunnel' not there waiting for the batteries to go in?

Yes, 'stealth mode' on the E-Ray seems a bit 'corny' to me now, but if the Wife is taking a nap, that LT6 will certainly look after that, won't it?
(If you want to see real 'corny', my Mercedes/Airstream 'coach' has a front spoiler on it. Why?)

So far, the most compelling argument I have heard regarding the Z06 is the beautiful noise it offers. I've heard a few up close, and it's true.
On this, the Z06 crowd definitely wins the point.
Down the road, however, when that lofty performance bar needs surpassing, and the turbo-charged LT6 has reached it's limits, there's only electrification to turn to.
There's a lot of room in that 'frunk' for more batteries and bigger motors.

For myself, I'm like the vast majority of Corvette owners out there that will never utilize the full potential of a Stingray, let-alone a Z06 or an E-Ray.
That said, I'm opting for an E-Ray as my car of choice, but I'm sure I can live with a Z06 as a my conciliation prize, (provided it's black).

Just saying.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated and taken to heart.
Now, as in any good debate, allow me to be the 'fly in the ointment'.

Let's assume for a moment that the 'end game' of GM is to produce the absolute best production sports cars in the world, but through electrification, rather than internal combustion.
Further, this lofty goal was conceived prior to the introduction of the Z06, or it's remarkable LT6 engine (bear with me).
To do this, GM would first need to set the bar, hence the LT6 engine, then raise it again with the upcoming turbo-charging of the ZR1.
Now, having reached the loftiest peaks, how do we satisfy the 'more' crowd?
Electrification, pure and simple.

Take all those millions and millions of dollars mentioned as being spent on research and development, but swap out the name E-Ray for Z06.
It can't be cheap to design and build an electrified front wheel drive, acting in unison with a ICE powered, rear wheeled monster.
The body, tires, rims, brakes, etc., etc. - how do we know it wasn't all designed for an E-Ray, then "borrowed" for the Z06?
Was the 'tunnel' not there waiting for the batteries to go in?

Yes, 'stealth mode' on the E-Ray seems a bit 'corny' to me now, but if the Wife is taking a nap, that LT6 will certainly look after that, won't it?
(If you want to see real 'corny', my Mercedes/Airstream 'coach' has a front spoiler on it. Why?)

So far, the most compelling argument I have heard regarding the Z06 is the beautiful noise it offers. I've heard a few up close, and it's true.
On this, the Z06 crowd definitely wins the point.
Down the road, however, when that lofty performance bar needs surpassing, and the turbo-charged LT6 has reached it's limits, there's only electrification to turn to.
There's a lot of room in that 'frunk' for more batteries and bigger motors.

For myself, I'm like the vast majority of Corvette owners out there that will never utilize the full potential of a Stingray, let-alone a Z06 or an E-Ray.
That said, I'm opting for an E-Ray as my car of choice, but I'm sure I can live with a Z06 as a my conciliation prize, (provided it's black).

Just saying.
Is it an LS6 or LT6 engine in the Z06?
Sorry if I screwed up by using a random 'designation'.

@netsinah very good analysis of the Z06 above.

However, I too will be a bit of a fly in the ointment as I've driven a friends Z06. Initial impressions are "wow this is stiff in tour mode" which is collaborated by the designers and Tadge who said its 35 or 40% stiffer and feels like the Stingray Sport or Track modes. When I was driving it on the east end GTA roads I didn't like how bumpy it felt and reminded me of when I lowered my 20 Coupe with Z51 only (no mag ride). The second impression I had was the continual drone or exhaust note that on longer trips would drive me nuts (and trust me I am an exhaust loving guy...I have high flow sport cats and aftermarket exhaust on my NSX). What I noticed driving the Z06 was that it needed to be higher in the RPM range to really enjoy it whereas the E-Ray will be the better street car with off the dig acceleration that won't put you in jail etc.

Is the Z06 a track weapon - YUP! Is it built to be stiff and throaty - YUP! Is it a good street car - debatable.

And...now that the 2024 configurator is up but showing "Contact dealer for pricing" on the Z06...I feel there's a massive increase in price coming as GM won't be caught with their head in the sand knowing what dealers have been receiving on uplift. I hope I am wrong but I feel they like Porsche, aren't in it to allow others to profit (see Porsche's massive increase in pricing across all models due to shareholder pressure).

E-Ray:
I'm personally excited about the Stealth Mode. When I am up in the morning at 6am I start my Stingray up and it wakes my daughter up, the neighbors up etc. It will be great to get out of my garage and neighborhood without the fuss.

AWD - finally someone has replicated the outgoing NC1 NSX! If this E-Ray is not good I am seriously considering getting the NSX as its UNREAL. Its the most underrated car out there and the values are starting to go up as folks have caught on to how damn quick and reliable those cars are. That being said, I have always daily driven my 911s all year round and can't wait to get winters on the E-Ray and enjoying it. We have a Suburban for really deep snow days and honestly my area is plowed quickly being close to the 401 which I take to work.

You've discussed the widebody similarities etc. and I feel the carbon ceramics are fine as most other really good performance cars have ceramics (GT3, NSX, etc.) and they last.

If the Z06 were AWD then I would likely have it as I love that exhaust note but that's not enough to sway me...

Reactions: TreVette
Debate welcomed. No reasoned opinion is wrong and in the end, we all vote with our money and usually enjoy what we buy once committed to it. I struggled with my decision and considered the harsher ride (35% more than the Z51) as well. For me, hearing the Z06 exhaust note was a big factor since it reinforced my long love affair with the ICE and growing up enjoying the rumble of my neighbour’s souped-up 454 Camaro SS. Again, I’m curious to see how both the Z06 and E-Ray fare in the fullness of time, amongst automotive pundits and with resale value.

Reactions: CamsC8
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.