Sep 25, 2021
VetteCoins
Province
AB
Back in October I picked up my 2023 HTC C8.

I’ve been getting it ready for the spring and just the other day I went to bring the top down using the remote fob and it stopped half way and then an error appeared on the dash, “Top not secure”.

The only way I could open/close the top was to turn the car on and use the switch inside the car.

Has anyone experienced this?

I called the dealership to ask about this and they essentially told me to drop the car off with them for a few days. Which is kind of hard to swallow considering I picked it up, drove it for 2 days, then parked it for the winter and now I have to take a brand new car in to get something fixed. Just a bit frustrating.

Not necessarily the same issue, but all my GM convertibles have had issues with using the remote. If there is any electronic interference the signal can be disrupted between the remote and the car which can stop the process. On my 2019 GS the “top not secure” message could only be resolved from inside the car and not by the remote.

Back in October I picked up my 2023 HTC C8.

I’ve been getting it ready for the spring and just the other day I went to bring the top down using the remote fob and it stopped half way and then an error appeared on the dash, “Top not secure”.

The only way I could open/close the top was to turn the car on and use the switch inside the car.

Has anyone experienced this?

I called the dealership to ask about this and they essentially told me to drop the car off with them for a few days. Which is kind of hard to swallow considering I picked it up, drove it for 2 days, then parked it for the winter and now I have to take a brand new car in to get something fixed. Just a bit frustrating.
I don’t have a convertible but my understanding is that if the car battery isn’t fully charged the key fob may not work properly.

Thanks all for the replies. The car has been plugged in using the GM Battery maintainer the whole time and is showing that the car battery is fully charged. In addtion, the issue happens with both key fobs. Which I'm assuming should have fairly new batteries since it's a new car.

Are you suggesting I wait until I start using the car more and see if it just goes away?
If the top is stuck halfway, then I don't really see much choice. I'd start the car and see what happens. If it is back up and you are worried about it then, yes, wait until you can start the car the way you want to. Personally starting the car once while it's in hibernation is not that big a deal. You don't want to do it regularly, but once won't hurt.
I've had issues with updates even when the battery is "fully charged". Seems there is "fully charged" and "seemingly fully charged". <shrug>

Reactions: C8-YYC
If the top is stuck halfway, then I don't really see much choice. I'd start the car and see what happens. If it is back up and you are worried about it then, yes, wait until you can start the car the way you want to. Personally starting the car once while it's in hibernation is not that big a deal. You don't want to do it regularly, but once won't hurt.
I've had issues with updates even when the battery is "fully charged". Seems there is "fully charged" and "seemingly fully charged". <shrug>
I think he is saying that the top works normally when operated from inside the car, so its not currently stuck

Reactions: Murray20c8
That’s correct. If I use the fob, it stops half way. Then gives me the error. But then I can sit in the car and finish the process by using the switch in the car.
Gotcha! I misunderstood. I don't have a HTC, so I'm only wondering, but do you have to hold the button on the fob all the time the lid is coming off? Would make sense for safety reasons. Especially if the car is not going.

Gotcha! I misunderstood. I don't have a HTC, so I'm only wondering, but do you have to hold the button on the fob all the time the lid is coming off? Would make sense for safety reasons. Especially if the car is not going.
yes you have to hold it, and if you let go, you have to press and hold it again and it take like 30 seconds for the roof to start moving again.

Howdy.
My 2019 C7 convertible has stopped in the middle of the process a number of times using the remote. All I have ever done was to press the remotes UNLOCK button again then press/hold the remotes TOP OPEN button. The top resumes its process to completion. Easy-peasy and works every time for me. :)
I should mention that the opening process is most often (always?) interrupted when my car is parked in my garage. There are many "signals" in and around my garage so I don't think it is a stretch there is a bit of "interference"?
"Top Not Secure" message: IIRC this message is displayed while the top opening or closing, even when I use the dashboard switch. It has never concerned me. .... If the top is not completely stowed or latched closed then it is definitely "not secure".
:Cheers2:

Reactions: Murray20c8
No similar problems with my 2020 HTC (after 12,300 km of LOTS of top up/down), nor with my 2023 HTC. I know it's frustrating but think taking it back to your dealer is a good idea, even though some members have posted good/helpful ideas on this thread. Best to make sure it's solved. Let us know how this is resolved and good luck!

Reactions: JR410
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.