The chances of GM opening up another production facility or expanding existing Bowling Green production to make more C8's, are zero IMO. GM is having trouble sourcing out parts with the existing production, as shown by the recent stats released by GM on Z06 constraints (only 10% of the C8 production will be Z06's and only 3% of the Z06's will have the carbon fiber aero accessories) and the already existing constraints on some of the C8 Stingray options, plus plant shut-downs which are likely to continue due to future part shortages. And GM is no doubt already planning what it takes to retool and manufacture the all-electric C9 Corvette, so investing in new infrastructure for the "soon-to-be-antiquated" ICE C8, is likely already in its rear-view mirror. We in Canada will have to get used to a dearth of future C8's and with that, others like me looking to other car manufacturers (I've placed a deposit on the new Lotus Emira) will increase in numbers as time goes on and reality sets in and rudely intrudes on what are now unrealistic sport car dreams. Again, a sad consequence of GM's decision to cut Canadian allocations and especially hard to swallow, for someone like me so enamoured with the C8 and so looking forward to

The chances of GM opening up another production facility or expanding existing Bowling Green production to make more C8's, are zero IMO. GM is having trouble sourcing out parts with the existing production, as shown by the recent stats released by GM on Z06 constraints (only 10% of the C8 production will be Z06's and only 3% of the Z06's will have the carbon fiber aero accessories) and the already existing constraints on some of the C8 Stingray options, plus plant shut-downs which are likely to continue due to future part shortages. And GM is no doubt already planning what it takes to retool and manufacture the all-electric C9 Corvette, so investing in new infrastructure for the "soon-to-be-antiquated" ICE C8, is likely already in its rear-view mirror. We in Canada will have to get used to a dearth of future C8's and with that, others like me looking to other car manufacturers (I've placed a deposit on the new Lotus Emira) will increase in numbers as time goes on and reality sets in and rudely intrudes on what are now unrealistic sport car dreams. Again, a sad consequence of GM's decision to cut Canadian allocations and especially hard to swallow, for someone like me so enamoured with the C8 and so looking forward to a Z06.
Sounds like it's time for me to seriously consider moving to the US ... 😒

I was discouraged when the first mid engine C8 came out in 2020, foolishly thinking I had time to order one and missed out. I think it's ridicule's that GM abandons us here in Canada in regards to dealer allocations cut in half. Couldn't they have split that between Canada and the US? I like everything about the C8 but certainly not going to pay a dealer $125,000 to $130,000 for a 2021 C8, I have seen on Car Gurus. There are more important things in life to me than this. Good Luck guys getting your C8's, hope the long wait will be worth it.

Damn ... that's exactly what I was considering yesterday after reading this thread ... :bored: How long do you have to wait to make it eligible to export to Canada ? This situation REALLY sucks.
From what I've heard from multiple dealers its either 6 months or 10,000 miles. If I could find one at retail in the U.S. I'd buy it and put it in my brother in law's name, store it at his place for the winter, then import it next Spring. Trouble is, NO one has new stock anywhere that isn't thousands over sticker price. As bad as many things are in Canada this one really chaps me. Hundreds of people are in the same boat and have cash in pocket and CANNOT buy a C8. How we get 1/25th of the yearly production available with GM plants in Canada is beyond me.

My dealer gets between 6 and 9 allocations per year. I went in about a month ago and was told at that time they have had only one 2023 allocation so far. I am the next on the list and am wondering if they should have received at least one more since then? With them receiving 6-9 per year should I have received a call by now? Also wondering if anyone here has a dealer with similar yearly numbers how many 2023 allocations have they received so far? I'm not sure if the allocations are granted evenly or they may get multiples later in the year and what would be the rough cutoff date for 2023 orders? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
I have been, next in line, on my dealers list since May 2022. They were told 4 allocations for a 2023 but have gotten only one , in May and nothing since then. 30 months and counting.

From what I've heard from multiple dealers its either 6 months or 10,000 miles. If I could find one at retail in the U.S. I'd buy it and put it in my brother in law's name, store it at his place for the winter, then import it next Spring. Trouble is, NO one has new stock anywhere that isn't thousands over sticker price. As bad as many things are in Canada this one really chaps me. Hundreds of people are in the same boat and have cash in pocket and CANNOT buy a C8. How we get 1/25th of the yearly production available with GM plants in Canada is beyond me.
I'm with you with regards to your last comment ... and no matter where you search for a used car (Canada or USA), the sticker price is insane. I'm quite puzzled honestly by GM attitude. They claim they want to appeal to the true enthusiasts (look at the recent measures taken to restrict speculation on the Z06 for exemple) but not increasing the manufacturing capabilities while increasing the number of geos and products naturally results in speculation as demand exceeds offer.

I'm with you with regards to your last comment ... and no matter where you search for a used car (Canada or USA), the sticker price is insane. I'm quite puzzled honestly by GM attitude. They claim they want to appeal to the true enthusiasts (look at the recent measures taken to restrict speculation on the Z06 for exemple) but not increasing the manufacturing capabilities while increasing the number of geos and products naturally results in speculation as demand exceeds offer.

It is so very simple......$$$$$$. GM makes thousands more profit when they sell a C8 overseas vs Canada.

And $$$$ more profit on trucks and SUVs so no good reason from financial viewpoint to spend tons of money to start C8 production at another plant.
In that case, why not simply starting with a sticker price 20k above the current price point ? And balance offer with demand ? Unless they see very positively people asking 130k for a 3 yr old C8 stringray for marketing purpose.

In that case, why not simply starting with a sticker price 20k above the current price point ? And balance offer with demand ? Unless they see very positively people asking 130k for a 3 yr old C8 stringray for marketing purpose.
Good question- if I had any say at GM I would ask. I suspect it’s because they know that at some point the demand is going to die down and if the cost is excessively high then they won’t move product. I remember the old days (4 yes ago) when you could but a new C7 for $10,000 or more off the msrp at Bill Spencer.
Other than that, I have no more insight into the working at GM than anyone else on this forum.

And $$$$ more profit on trucks and SUVs so no good reason from financial viewpoint to spend tons of money to start C8 production at another plant.
Yep. Been saying that since 2020. If you don't already have a summer toy. I would suggest to treat yourself on the used market, for a C7, 911, GT350,etc... and don't waste time waiting for GM.

Reactions: NablaG
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.