Sep 12, 2019
Blainville
VetteCoins
Car
2018 C7 Z06-Z07 CONV
Province
QC
I purchased a brand new 2018 z06 convertible last year and every time I brake there is a squeaking noise coming from behind the wheels. I have brought it into GM (3) times already and they cannot find the problem. Any ideas before I go for the fourth time? Has anyone here had a similar problem? Thanks!

• Sad
Reactions: ddgermann
I purchased a brand new 2018 z06 convertible last year and every time I brake there is a squeaking noise coming from behind the wheels. I have brought it into GM (3) times already and they cannot find the problem. Any ideas before I go for the fourth time? Has anyone here had a similar problem? Thanks!

You should not be hearing this. Especially with the CC brakes. I have never heard a squeak from mine (same Z07) or heard of this being common on our brake configuration. Sounds like you have an issue back there somewhere. Hope they find it quickly for you. Try a different dealership. There must be guys here from your area that can recommend a good one.

You should not be hearing this. Especially with the CC brakes. I have never heard a squeak from mine (same Z07) or heard of this being common on our brake configuration. Sounds like you have an issue back there somewhere. Hope they find it quickly for you. Try a different dealership. There must be guys here from your area that can recommend a good one.
Apparently I am not the only client with this problem, it is all over the net..... GM has apparently found a fix but has not released the solution yet. See threads of issues Z07 Owners, Brake Squeal Solved!!!......almost - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

I hope they find a fix, quickly- lots of posting issues on this. Thanks

Apparently I am not the only client with this problem, it is all over the net..... GM has apparently found a fix but has not released the solution yet. See threads of issues

Guess I am one of the lucky ones.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure it isn't the brake pads? Thats the first thing I would change and go with better ones. The metallic ones tend to get glazed over too if they get to hot.

Are you sure it isn't the brake pads? Thats the first thing I would change and go with better ones. The metallic ones tend to get glazed over too if they get to hot.

Don't think he has too many options on a Z07 Car. Well, there are options from the aftermarket for Carbon Ceramic brakes now but mainly on the rotors. I actually had no idea there were as many problems as @WARLORD decided to reveal after asking his question. I cancelled my gold membership on the forum he inserted 2 years ago due to.... well that's another subject.

Is your car Z07? If yes... wow you have a captive audience here. If not... you are still great here. :thumbs:

The car is brand new started squeaking on first day out of the dealer. GM recognizes it is a problem, the mechanic said most people have their radio on so they do not hear it when stopping. Due to Covid19 I have not been able to bring it to the garage since they are all closed. There are plenty of posting on this, GM does not want to change the pads because if they do this it will be very costly for all the vettes out there with a similar problem. They greased a particular area within the outer break pads, cleaned the pads out and it still does not work. I now have 4000 Km and when I brake everyone knows I am next to them! Love my vettte but that sound is very annoying! If anyone has this problem I suggest you bring it in as soon as the garage opens!

Don't think he has too many options on a Z07 Car. Well, there are options from the aftermarket for Carbon Ceramic brakes now but mainly on the rotors. I actually had no idea there were as many problems as @WARLORD decided to reveal after asking his question. I cancelled my gold membership on the forum he inserted 2 years ago due to.... well that's another subject.

Is your car Z07? If yes... wow you have a captive audience here. If not... you are still great here. :thumbs:
Hello and thanks for you reply and comments BTW the Z07 is the package details on the Z06! Love it! Cheers!

One of my friends bought a new Grand Sport last year. The very first thing he did was swap out the original GM brake pads and put after market ones on. He never worries about the price of changing stuff around. I can't remember the name of the brand of pads he used but they are a softer compound and would be easier on the rotors. Also got rid of the brake dust he was getting from the original pads. Dust shows up pretty good on a white car. Also the metallic shaving that came off from them would leave small rust spots on the paint. Most car companies don't use high quality components because it puts the price up.

Reactions: ddgermann
Hello and thanks for you reply and comments BTW the Z07 is the package details on the Z06! Love it! Cheers!

Better check again...Z07 is not standard with the Z06 or the Grand Sport where it was also available with the C7. It is a 9Kish option. Ask me how I know.. wait don't bother

Done playing with you.

One of my friends bought a new Grand Sport last year. The very first thing he did was swap out the original GM brake pads and put after market ones on. He never worries about the price of changing stuff around. I can't remember the name of the brand of pads he used but they are a softer compound and would be easier on the rotors. Also got rid of the brake dust he was getting from the original pads. Dust shows up pretty good on a white car. Also the metallic shaving that came off from them would leave small rust spots on the paint. Most car companies don't use high quality components because it puts the price up.

100% true for a non Z07 car. There are much better aftermarket pad options available with way less dust. :thumbs:

Last edited:
Apparently I am not the only client with this problem, it is all over the net..... GM has apparently found a fix but has not released the solution yet. See threads of issues

Just a heads up Warlord. Our forum rules do not allow direct links to other Corvette forums...Legal reasons. You are welcome to copy and paste the post text, giving credit to the author though. Here's a link to our rules.

I will be removing your link. Thanks

My ZR1 squeak like hell once in a while. I have to heat them real hot and it stop for some time. In the owner manual, there is a ''burnish'' procedure wich I did and it did stop for a longer time. These brakes aren't made for cruising, they are high performance brakes that normaly run really hot on a track or whit a more agressive way of driving. My friend have a Porsche and it is the same situation, he fixed the problem, he now drive it like a maniac, no more noise.

Just a heads up Warlord. Our forum rules do not allow direct links to other Corvette forums...Legal reasons. You are welcome to copy and paste the post text, giving credit to the author though. Here's a link to our rules.

I will be removing your link. Thanks

Got it makes sense thanks!

Reactions: Rruuff Day
2017 G. Sport with Z07 package...... I also had my car in for servicing on 2 occasions for brake squeal. Temporarily fixed the problem but still resurfaces every once in a while. I find that if I brake hard from high speed 2-3 times in a row it diminish or disappears for awhile. It is definitely annoying when it occurs! (9600kms on brakes)

2017 G. Sport with Z07 package...... I also had my car in for servicing on 2 occasions for brake squeal. Temporarily fixed the problem but still resurfaces every once in a while. I find that if I brake hard from high speed 2-3 times in a row it diminish or disappears for awhile. It is definitely annoying when it occurs! (9600kms on brakes)
Thanks Paul for your reply. Did you go back to GM for additional servicing? They told me GM is aware of it and has the fix for this issue. I am only waiting for my dealership to open. They obviously do not want to expose this to everyone - is my guess. The Z07 package was definitely worth while to take...it makes such an impressive change in detail to the car! Send me a photo! I would love to see it! I ordered the Moriomoto lights at an amazing price but decided not to go ahead with it due to complex installation! Cheers!
TRANSPARENT VETTE.png

When I wash my car - I spend a lot of time on the wheels - even wash as best I can, the brake calipers etc. - so, lots of rinsing with the hose; the darn brakes squeak for quiet a while until I've driven it a fair bit; then, squeak gone.

When I wash my car - I spend a lot of time on the wheels - even wash as best I can, the brake calipers etc. - so, lots of rinsing with the hose; the darn brakes squeak for quiet a while until I've driven it a fair bit; then, squeak gone.
thanks for your input however for the price I paid for this car it is not normal this is happening. Looking forward to GM’s fix! Thanks!!

Hi Warlord. No, I have not gone back to dealership as I was not aware there may be a fix in place. If the squealing were to resume I most certainly will. Please send pics when your Morimotos are installed.... I do like the look and the sequential feature. I will also be interested on hearing your opinion of the fit, finish and quality! Im still dealing with a few medical issues otherwise my car would be on the road by now. We have had some very nice weather over the past couple of weeks. Happy motoring to you all!!

Attachments

• Resized_20200416_072712_8124[644].jpeg
    Resized_20200416_072712_8124[644].jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 20200425_155213[2305843009214465681].jpg
    20200425_155213[2305843009214465681].jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: WARLORD
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.