wilyvet

Casual User
Dec 16, 2014
Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
2002 Z06
Last July I took delivery of a 2015 1LZ Z06 coupe with Z07 option. My intention was to use it in my role as an HPDE driving instructor. Numerous reports of Z06s overheating in track use caused me to abandon that idea and continue with my dead reliable 2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder on track. The Z06 became my daily driver. Before retiring for the winter it delivered 7200 km of enjoyment in and around Edmonton: room for two big bags of golf clubs, quiet AC, music from USB memsticks (not audible in the Porsche) and the pleasure of approaching the best-looking car in the parking lot. Fuel economy was a pleasant surprise for one who remembers the carbureted 427s.
The Cup 2 tires would not take any prizes on wet roads, but they are manageable - nothing to be alarmed about. They are noisy over 120 kph, but using a fraction of this car's performance on public roads could well cost one a driver's licence. After 7200 km the Cup 2s have life remaining.
Problems: a rattle in the passenger side door and dealer service people who have no idea about dry sump systems (I had to bring a case of Mobil 1 15/50 to the dealership to prove to them that such a thing existed). Steep driveway entrances must be taken at an angle or not at all in order to avoid scraping the front spoiler. According to US Corvette forum contributors, aftermarket suppliers have developed a radiator, oil cooler and heat shield wrap which cures with the track use overheating problem ... one wishes GM had offered such a performance upgrade instead of the bling which desecrates the "R" designation.
This summer I expect to replace the Cup 2s with a quieter tire ... and listen to the music. Does anyone have experience along these lines?

I have a 2015 Z51 M7. I have read many threads about the tires and I will wait until mine need replacing. I'm going to get something lighter and non-run flat. Conti, Michelin, Perelli or Bridgestone may fit the bill. I'm sure there are others out there. The stock tires are noisy and rough and they throw up gravel, which of course hits the sides of the car. I guess that's what the side skirts are for?:Cheers2:

Otherwise no issues with the car. Really enjoy it. I just wish the weather would be a little more cooperative.:(

Why not take the Z06 to the track and find out just how it does perform?
The experience of others on Corvette Forum USA is large ( 228 threads and more than 1,000 contributions re "Z06 overheating issues") and unequivocal. The essence is that following GM's suggestions for track use (half a litre extra of Mobil 1 15/50, 80% water instead of 60% in the radiator, short shifting) does not prevent dangerously high oil and water temperatures. Various aftermarket devices have proven helpful for some drivers - Dewitts radiators, wrapping cats with thermal insulation, additional oil coolers, underbody mods, etc. Engine damage would imply seeking warranty. I would not like to explain to the dealer service personnel whom I've encountered that GM advertised my car as "the most track ready Corvette ever", and that GM should therefore pay for the engine repair. Believing GM's annual reports caused me to make my worst investment ever - total loss when GM bankrupted. Aftermarket engineering and parts may succeed in making Z06s competent for track use; in the meantime I have old Porsches to race and use in HPDE, and a fast, reasonably quiet and comfortable, beautiful GT car in the Z06.

Where are the pics! :D

Quite interesting with the tires. I have not heard much feedback about noise, but it's good to hear you can get a little bit of life out of them. I think AllFlash should have some good words about what tires to use as he must be through his OEM tires....but maybe not. I'll wait for his reply.

"The Cup 2 tires would not take any prizes on wet roads, but they are manageable - nothing to be alarmed about. They are noisy over 120 kph, but using a fraction of this car's performance on public roads could well cost one a driver's licence. After7200 km the Cup 2s have life remaining."

Hi friends.
I need a bit of experience from the Alberta / Saskatchewan gang.
I was looking for a thread specifically on this and this is as close as I could find.
I will start of by letting you know I'm no driving instructor or skilled race guy. I grew up beating the crap out of camaros and pick ups to the limits. Survived that and and know how to handle a car. The Z06 however is whole different animal. The car deserves respect and being allegedly finally an adult.... I'm happy just enjoying it and lightly playing with it a bit now and then.
I have had a 13 C6 and a C7 15 Z06 both with the Michelin Pilot SS on them. Great tires for what I want from the car. Ok on the wet roads when I got caught on the highway in a storm last month and a little sketchy but totally manageable in colder temps spring and fall mornings. A respected throttle offered no problems for normal driving.
I am picking up my new 17 Z06 Z07 first week of August and I am trying to decide if I should dump the Pilot Sport Cup 2s and put the PSS on the car.
In Edmonton there is not many opitimum days for these tires and I'm not tracking this car.
What is your opinion on just how much difference is there between the wet road and cold weather performance of these 2 different tires? Is it that pronounced?
I have never had these cars even close to their limits and frankly do not see it happening at this point. Maybe later once the new car smell is toned down... in 5 years.
Appreciate any experience you can share.
Derek
I attached both the Zs I've enjoyed.

Attachments

• IMG_4845.JPG
    IMG_4845.JPG
    947.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5068.JPG
    IMG_5068.JPG
    992.4 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: MikeysZ06
I'm really curious what the fix will be for the overheating issue. As for tires, when I replace mine next spring I'm going to try the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Everything I've read, and heard on them have been very positive.

Reactions: ddgermann
What is your opinion on just how much difference is there between the wet road and cold weather performance of these 2 different tires? Is it that pronounced?
I have never had these cars even close to their limits and frankly do not see it happening at this point. Maybe later once the new car smell is toned down... in 5 years.
Appreciate any experience you can share.
Derek

Hi Derek,

When I looked at the Sport Cup 2's in person, they looked very similar to slicks. I really couldn't imagine trying these out in the rain. Obviously, if you are overly cautious, I am sure you will be fine but it will probably be nerve wrecking. I love the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the car. 2 weeks ago I was going to Wasaga Beach from Downtown Toronto and was met with a good thunderstorm and heavy rain on the way. Throughout the way, I was driving at 120, no issues at all. The car/tires handled superbly in all weather mode, literally like any other normal car. The only time I had to slow down or be careful was when I encountered big puddles and that too wasn't because of the tires, it was because of how low the car is and it's fairly light. I lived in Fort McMurray for 8 months for one of my internships (in 2012) and from the weather I experienced there, I would say Super Sports would be the best bet. However, it's entirely up to you :)

Hi Derek,

When I looked at the Sport Cup 2's in person, they looked very similar to slicks. I really couldn't imagine trying these out in the rain. Obviously, if you are overly cautious, I am sure you will be fine but it will probably be nerve wrecking. I love the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the car. 2 weeks ago I was going to Wasaga Beach from Downtown Toronto and was met with a good thunderstorm and heavy rain on the way. Throughout the way, I was driving at 120, no issues at all. The car/tires handled superbly in all weather mode, literally like any other normal car. The only time I had to slow down or be careful was when I encountered big puddles and that too wasn't because of the tires, it was because of how low the car is and it's fairly light. I lived in Fort McMurray for 8 months for one of my internships (in 2012) and from the weather I experienced there, I would say Super Sports would be the best bet. However, it's entirely up to you :)

Thanks for that Karam. I appreciate you thoughts on this. I have read so much on these PSC2 tires. The positive of amazing performance in dry warm conditions and the nail biting stuff about cold or wet performance is pretty consistent. Considering what I will be expecting from the car the PSS or the new version is more suited for my needs. I just want to enjoy the feeling of driving this awesome car without watching the clouds for a raindrop or squeezing the steering wheel in a bit of wet driving. The cold part doesn't bother me much as all these performance tires will break loose on the Z06 if your not careful. I can deal with that. I have a spare set of PSS in my garage so I'm thinking I'm not going to bother with scaring the hell out of myself this fall and just get them put on before I pick up the car. I'll put the PSC2 right back in the same place in the garage. Likely someone in the area will be looking for a new set soon enough.
Thanks again
D

Reactions: Karam
I'm really curious what the fix will be for the overheating issue. As for tires, when I replace mine next spring I'm going to try the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Everything I've read, and heard on them have been very positive.

Hi Dub.
I somehow missed you reply. Pardon that.
I've read some things about bigger heat exchangers and a modified air flow on the 17 but frankly I never had a problem with the 15 overheating. Mind you I'm from Edmonton and not on the track either. The worst I've put the car through was rush hour traffic on a 30 degree day. I've had the car working hard for short periods on deserted places a few times but again never a problem in Alberta on a 30 degree day. For person who doesn't drive these cars to the limits I doubt they would ever see the issue.
Ya tires... I think I'm going with the Pilot S4s. The reality is I'm never going to use the PSC2 tires close to what they are designed for anyway.

Thanks appreciate you thoughts.

I may be close to hijacking this thread.... I was reluctant to start a new one on this tire question and get told off like some poor guys on other forums.

Derek

Hi ddgermann, I wouldn't worry too much about threads going off topic and everyone's response. It seems we have a habit of doing just that although we do try to stay on topic. Riley and his gang might threaten to put us in the penalty box from time to time but they are all just big lovable teddy bears :bear:

Reactions: ddgermann
Hi ddgermann, I wouldn't worry too much about threads going off topic and everyone's response. It seems we have a habit of doing just that although we do try to stay on topic. Riley and his gang might threaten to put us in the penalty box from time to time but they are all just big lovable teddy bears :bear:

Yes thanks for that. I have enjoyed the positive aspects of the community on this forum. Very much like the Canadian Hummer Club forum. Good guys / gals from all walks of life who share a common passion and leave the ego out of it.
:Woohoo:
D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.