Wilbergz

Casual User
Jun 23, 2015
VetteCoins
Car
2015 Z06
I was on the track at mission yesterday and car was over heating under 10 mins of action. It was only 15 degrees out, and it already over heated so fast.. cant imagine if I was doing this in the summer.

Going to talk to Dueck about this issue, has anyone else dealt with this with dueck?

Hi Wilbergz...
I believe this is a known issue with the 2015Z06 mobiles.... and even the 2016s..
DUECK and all GM dealers are aware of this.
Check out here and other forums for this issue.
I’m not sure what/if there is a ‘fix’.

Graham

My 17Z intercooler is the full thickness front to back, It's almost double the size of the one I had on my 15. I haven't seen any sign of overheating yet. Oddly I never had overheating on the 15 either but I didn't track the car.
You can probably do a retrofit fairly easy although I havent checked that out. I expect the forums are full of info on the larger intercooler performance on the 17s by now too.

Keep us posted Wilber.

Derek

talked to one of the advisers today, they said they "haven't heard of this issue before" and ask me to schedule a service to bring the car in for them to look into.... they were asking about coolant etc... seems they want to say its overheating because of something else over the actual issue with the design...

Anyways appointment is on Friday, will keep everyone updated on whats happening.

Also if you can send me a picture somehow of the new inter cooler that would be awesome!

Wilber here is the 15:

IMG_5488.jpg

Here is the 17:
IMG_5778.jpg

The cooling brick has much larger volume.
Your problem is well known so GM will not be able to pretend they do not know of it.
Let us know what they say your options are,,,, beside getting a 17.

Derek

Reactions: Riley P
Just talked to the service advisor, they said car is working fine checked fans etc..... and he will provide me with a bulletin and provide options for add ons....

also he will give me a number to contact GM if I want to...

like come on...... playing the pretend they dunno about this game

Will let you guys know after I pick my car up about the "options" they have for me

@Wilbergz you might want to look into this

Also dual fan kits are available. GM is lying to you when they say that they are not aware of the overheating issue. It is the reason why changes were made to the 2017+ models.

When i had my 16 Z06 i never had the overheating issue but that's because i never tracked mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
I was on the track at mission yesterday and car was over heating under 10 mins of action. It was only 15 degrees out, and it already over heated so fast.. cant imagine if I was doing this in the summer.

Going to talk to Dueck about this issue, has anyone else dealt with this with dueck?
There are reports of a class action lawsuit over this all over the net.

If I am not mistaken the additional intercooler for 2017 was only added to the M7 transmission models. In 2017 all Corvettes with a dry sump and a M7 transmission got the additional intercooler. I know as my 2017 GS with M7 had a production delay of 6+ weeks due to the change. I ordered in May and didn't get delivery until September. The new intercooler looks like the one the A8 models have for their transmission cooler and is located in the same spot.

If I am not mistaken the additional intercooler for 2017 was only added to the M7 transmission models. In 2017 all Corvettes with a dry sump and a M7 transmission got the additional intercooler. I know as my 2017 GS with M7 had a production delay of 6+ weeks due to the change. I ordered in May and didn't get delivery until September. The new intercooler looks like the one the A8 models have for their transmission cooler and is located in the same spot.

You mean the transmission oil cooler?. An intercooler cools the air that is being produced by a turbo/supercharger.

Should have said trans cooler not intercooler. The 2017 M7s with dry sumps all have an additional rad in the front not an intercooler. semantics but in this case important semantics.

Wilber here is the 15:

View attachment 12150

Here is the 17:
View attachment 12151

The cooling brick has much larger volume.
Your problem is well known so GM will not be able to pretend they do not know of it.
Let us know what they say your options are,,,, beside getting a 17.

Derek

That is actually a really cool comparison. Nice pics!

The dealers pretty much said that there is nothing they can do as the car is working fine. Just follow the bulletins which tells you to shift earlier... as for parts there is no current GM part to improve the cooling, its only for regular stingrays to improve their fan into a Z06 fan.

On a side note, I spoke with someone whose friend also tracks their 2015 z06, he also had overheating issues and power steering issues. His solution was putting in plastic spacers to increase space for the piece of plastic above the cooler. Apparently he hasn't had issues with heating afterwards and hes setting some good track times (so he must be pushing his car).

As for how that is done I have no idea have to bring it to a shop and ask them about it as I am not familiar with the parts.
- does this void the warranty?

Also over heating issues occurs much more for the automatics only, in the 17s they made improvements for only the manuals i think.

The dealers pretty much said that there is nothing they can do as the car is working fine. Just follow the bulletins which tells you to shift earlier... as for parts there is no current GM part to improve the cooling, its only for regular stingrays to improve their fan into a Z06 fan.

On a side note, I spoke with someone whose friend also tracks their 2015 z06, he also had overheating issues and power steering issues. His solution was putting in plastic spacers to increase space for the piece of plastic above the cooler. Apparently he hasn't had issues with heating afterwards and hes setting some good track times (so he must be pushing his car).

As for how that is done I have no idea have to bring it to a shop and ask them about it as I am not familiar with the parts.

Also over heating issues occurs much more for the automatics only, in the 17s they made improvements for only the manuals i think.

Any non GM sanctioned alteration has the potential to void a warranty if they can prove it caused a failure or if they're pretty bitchy (pardon my French). As long as you can easily reverse the mod you should be ok. But I hear you and I don't expect GM to step up on the issue as that would mean they are acknowledging the issue so their well rehearsed legal team will never let that fly. No wonder the changes to the s/c lids and h/e blocks were pretty much low key/undocumented in the 17/18s.

If it's spoiling your track fun I would go ahead and do it with the caveat you may need to reverse it if something breaks and you need warranty service.

Very interesting Wilber. A bulletin to shift earlier.... wonder how that affects competitiveness on the track.. total BS answer from Dueck who must be told to tow the line on the GM rhetoric. I understand there is at least one class action suit against GM so I expect they are investing in lawyers for this now and not engineers.

This came out of an article July 22, 2016.
"Speaking to Autoblog, Juechter (Corvette's chief executive engineer) - Chevrolet will offer the improvements to existing owners, in addition to applying them to the 2017 Corvette Z06. The modifications won’t change the model’s beastly power rating — they’ll just keep temperatures below warning levels when on the track in hot weather."

There are a number of these articles from 2016 so I wonder what became of this.... did GM pull back and not deliver the retrofit or is your dealer totally blowing you off man? Although I haven't heard of anyone actually getting a factory retrofit on their 15 or 16 Z06. It appears there is more to it than just a different hood and supercharger cover if what he went on to say below is true. Otherwise this issue would be over by now with guys buying and bolting on the parts if the factory refused to supply them...?

"Tadge Juechter, said the 2017 Z06 'Vettes will have a new hood for better cooling, a different supercharger cover and modifications to the actual cooling system -- all working to help keep the Corvette cool. "
“We intend to have the new hardware as a relatively straightforward retrofit to existing cars,” he said. “We’ll announce timing and pricing as we get closer to the restart of Z06 production.”

You found someone with a solution I never heard of. There are aftermarket companies offering specific packages for this problem including larger exchangers etc for these cars but of course...your cost and bye bye warranty. I could not find any reference or photos about "spacers" solving this but it sounds like it worth checking into. Yes the warranty question must be considered too. As far as the M7/A8 comparison on the problem..many guys agree the A8 is more prone to this heat soak for various reasons but the debate is still strongly raging on that too. As far as I know the 2017 factory cooling mods were made on both M7 and A8 Z06s.

My solution was trade the 15Z06 while it was still with low KMs and worth something. I never had a problem with it as I did not track it. The 17 may never be tracked either but I know I can if I want to. Ya..not much help but this might be the most hassle free way to rid yourself of the problem if you want to track your Z06 Wilber. :Biggrin:

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.