I have put lubrication all over the rubber seals and pin holes plus double walled heat shirk on the two front locator pins. It hasn't completely stopped the annoying squeak but it has certainly reduced it. I find sometimes that I have to release all the clamps and redo them again but in a different pattern of tightening.

Reactions: KevinB
What kind of lubricant do you use?
It was a silicone based lubricant. I don't remember the name now. I will check tomorrow in the garage to see if I still have some left.
The brakes are known for squealing if not used hard once in a while. My understanding is the pads have a tendency to glaze over a bit if you are too gentle. A couple of good hard stops done in a safe manner should be able to clear it. As soon as I even think I hear it, I find a spot to safely stomp the brakes hard. I have been able to do it without hitting any high speeds.

• Informative
Reactions: ddgermann
I followed this guide:

When I did it the first time last summer, my locating pins needed tightening, and there was dirt on the contact points. I didn't have any of the GM weatherstripping lubricant, so I just used silicone lube. My top wasn't too loud to begin with, but it did seem a bit quieter after servicing. I just serviced it again a couple weeks ago, the pins didn't need tightening, and there wasn't much dirt.

Thank you for the brake advise.
I have seen this video, and asked for the part number at a GM dealership and they told it didn’t exist. Instead gave me a white paste that got all over the place and dried to a white powdery mess. It did nothing for the squeaky top. Now I always try to drive topless on sunny days. (The car is topless, I wear a shirt)

Thank you for the brake advise.
I have seen this video, and asked for the part number at a GM dealership and they told it didn’t exist. Instead gave me a white paste that got all over the place and dried to a white powdery mess. It did nothing for the squeaky top. Now I always try to drive topless on sunny days. (The car is topless, I wear a shirt)

Dielectric grease is what i used on my C6. My C7 doesn't squeak or creak. The other cure many talk about is slipping a rubber o-ring over each of the pins. This snugs up the fit and eliminates the creaks as well.

I had the same issue and drove me crazy! I installed the 5/32" E clips on the pin and I now have ZERO noise. Here is a link for the info:

The noise doesn't bug me when I'm alone, only when i have a passenger. Nothing better than taking someone for a ride to show off your car, then you catch them looking up the roof with a wtf is that noise look lol. ugh. "The top comes off, its normal!"

• Agree
Reactions: 12cents
I know I cannot be only one that the roof makes a creaking noise. What lube do people use to stop this .
The roof on our 2005 was creaking even with all the rubbers lubed. I got the 5/32 E-clips, installed them and all is well.....so far. With two pair of needle nose pliers I installed the clips without having to remove the handle from the roof section. Thanks to those who came up with the cure. It sure was simple. The creaking could be aggravating if you drove on many rough roads.

• Informative
Reactions: ddgermann
The roof on our 2005 was creaking even with all the rubbers lubed. I got the 5/32 E-clips, installed them and all is well.....so far. With two pair of needle nose pliers I installed the clips without having to remove the handle from the roof section. Thanks to those who came up with the cure. It sure was simple. The creaking could be aggravating if you drove on many rough roads.
A year later and still quiet.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.