Dr. Lou

ZEEUL8R
You're 5
Jun 21, 2015
VetteCoins
Car
2016 C7 Z06
I recently had the clutch fluid replaced by a qualified professional. I have 31, 000 Km
on the car and I'm having trouble getting stick shift into 1st even when the car is at a stop. Any ideas what the issue is and how it may be resolved??

If I come to a dead stop, shift into 2nd, then back up into 1st it goes in without grinding but if I try to go directly into 1st it will grind! Every other gear shift is totally smooth and fine. No accidents, no bad shifts etc that may have caused damage to syncro etc. . Just started happening about 1 month ago.

Thank you

Welcome Dr Lou!! When you get some time post up on the new members thread a little about your self and some pictures of your ride. We like lots of pictures!! From what you described , it sounds like you have air trapped in the line from the clutch cylinder to the slave cylinder at the clutch. If the clutch pedal feels spongy when you push it down or in, that may be true. Also try pumping the pedal a couple of times and if it doesn't grind when you go into first then that's an other sign of air in the line. Let us know what you find.
Cheers Rob

I recently had the clutch fluid replaced by a qualified professional. I have 31, 000 Km
on the car and I'm having trouble getting stick shift into 1st even when the car is at a stop. Any ideas what the issue is and how it may be resolved??

If I come to a dead stop, shift into 2nd, then back up into 1st it goes in without grinding but if I try to go directly into 1st it will grind! Every other gear shift is totally smooth and fine. No accidents, no bad shifts etc that may have caused damage to syncro etc. . Just started happening about 1 month ago.

Thank you
Qualified or not, they don't always get the job done right the first time. Over the years, I have had to do my share of jobs a second time. As mentioned above, air is a likely culprit, especially when things were working fine before.

Welcome Dr Lou!! When you get some time post up on the new members thread a little about your self and some pictures of your ride. We like lots of pictures!! From what you described , it sounds like you have air trapped in the line from the clutch cylinder to the slave cylinder at the clutch. If the clutch pedal feels spongy when you push it down or in, that may be true. Also try pumping the pedal a couple of times and if it doesn't grind when you go into first then that's an other sign of air in the line. Let us know what you find.
Cheers Rob

Thank you so much Rob, I will definitely follow up on that. Would the air have gotten trapped in there when the mechanic replaced the clutch fluid?

Yes, if he drained all of the fluid out and replaced it.
If the line was not purged when it was refilled there's a possibility of air being trapped in the line.
It takes two people to do that, one to pump the the pedal and one below to open and close the the bleeder screw.
It's the same function as bleeding the brakes!
Rob

Ah! That really sucks to hear about. Hopefully the air will work it's way to the top or the shop can re-bleed the system for you.

Welcome to the forum!!!......I just wish it was on a better note...

Reactions: Dr. Lou
Ah! That really sucks to hear about. Hopefully the air will work it's way to the top or the shop can re-bleed the system for you.

Welcome to the forum!!!......I just wish it was on a better note...

Thanks spoke to shop and he says definitely not air in the system. . . Feels it's probably throughout bearing, and maybe beginnings of a clutch issue. But for now toggling from 2nd to 1st, seems to work fine and that's good enough for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's possible that the sycros are worn in first but for this issue to show up after getting the system bled and the fact that you have so few km on the car is what is odd about it. My totally unmechanical opinion is if the throw out bearing or clutch was going, all gears would grind. However, I am not familiar enough with the differences between 1st and 2nd gear and the size and number of sycros or if 1st and 2nd gears are on the same shaft in the transmission making second work but 1st not work.
If you have further questions, PM Manny (Nasty98) as he would be able to direct you through the different scenarios that could cause this.

Good morning Dr Lou,

So I just have to chime in with my 2 cent comment.

The car was shifting fine, then immediately after the clutch oil changed you start to have shifting issues and the only comment from the shop is that it was nothing that they did??!! HELLO!

I think that as Riley said I'd consult with Manny, better yet take a road trip to see him. Get some other upgrades aat the same time oo, cam, Vararam, header (really!) and Manny to get the tranny shifting working right. No point in having a car you're not 100% able to enjoy.

Avoid that other shop like the plauge too, sounds like they are not too interested in what they might have hatched in the process of changing the clutch oil which is totally disppointing.....................

Good luck!

Garry

Dr. Lou, I would agree with Riley and Garry, if it was working fine before and not after the clutch bleed there is a good possibility it was not done properly. I have always been very leery of shops that would just say "not me" rather than saying "lets have a look".

No sure where you are located but if it is anywhere near Dasilva Motorsport I would be seeing Manny about it before any serious damage is done.

Good luck with it.

Murray

I agree. Most shops don't like to have a job come back, and admit an error. I would try to follow up with the suggestions the guys mentioned above.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.