Well got the ABS unit back together today. Cooling off the o-ring worked a treat (fridge was enough).

But, I still can't get compressed air to blow through the RF. Running out of ideas on how to clean this thing.

Starting to look like my only option will be to either find a solenoid or a used ABS Modulator Pump.

Well got the ABS unit back together today. Cooling off the o-ring worked a treat (fridge was enough).

But, I still can't get compressed air to blow through the RF. Running out of ideas on how to clean this thing.

Starting to look like my only option will be to either find a solenoid or a used ABS Modulator Pump.
dang. it must be seized in closed position. i bet that is what happened to mine. in my case it was left front that was still open but blocked making the front left grab ling after the front right. this pulled the car right on hard braking.

you are in ontario right? there is a place called northern corvette. try them. all u need is one solenoid so if they a known bad one, u may get it real cheap and local. i know two of my solenoids are good and i was thinking i may be able to free up the other but who knows. how hard is it to pull apart the pump? do i need any special tools? i could pull a solenoid out and ship it to you

Reactions: Rruuff Day and JJTL
read through it. i think i can handle the disassembly with tools on hand.

see if northern corvette can source you one cheap and if not ill send you a solenoid.
Awesome, sounds like a plan.

I also have Corvette Depot near me. I'll try contacting both of them tomorrow morning and see what I can find out. Mirrock Corvette out of PA, is pretty close to me as well. I got my tires from them, might shoot him an email too.

I'm wondering if many don't actually open up the ABS Units, so not sure how many extra solenoids there are around, but worth a shot for sure.

Appreciate your help and encouragement on this one.

i would doubt if any open them up.

i have a used parts place local to me called western corvette. the deal with them is that if it doesnt work, you can return it. boneyards close to you might be the same.

Reactions: JJTL
Here is the update on trying to track down an ABS solenoid:

Mirrock Corvette: This is the place in PA where I got my used set of tires. They are out of the shop until Sept 12th, so can't get a response yet on special requests.

Corvette Depot: They are out of Windsor, ON, and so far they have told me they don't have just the solenoid, although they have opened an inquiry on their end to double check. Doubtful.

Northern Corvette: Out of Welland, ON, they don't have one on hand. They have made a few calls around to see if they can get one, but so far no dice. Waiting to hear back from a couple sources.

did they give you pricing?
For just the solenoid? No one has a solenoid so far, or thinks there is a good chance they will find one. So no pricing...

As far as the entire ABS Pump unit, I'll start to get the feelers out there for options. There are a couple on ebay ($500-$650), and Corvette Depot can get one ($800), but waiting to hear back on the condition and warranty on it.

Hi there everyone!

A new 1987 C4 owner from Kitchener-Waterloo, joining you here. Just picked up our Nassau Blue (Medium Blue) C4 last week, we trailered it home since it's so cold here! -15C is not ideal weather to be loading a car, but you do what you have too.

The car is blue on blue with about 117,000 kms on the odometer. 4+3 Doug Nash manual, which I believe was required in '87 for the Z51 packaged. Overall, optioned pretty highly. The last owner only put about 3,000 kms on it in the last 3 years, so needs full servicing and tune up to bring it up to our standards. In good shape otherwise, though.

One thing I'm already learning from reading some of the last threads here, is the availability (or lack there of!) of 255/50R16 tires. The DOT dates on the current Dunlops is 2003, so they are just too old to try and eek any further life out of them. I've been searching everywhere for BFGooderich g-Force Sport Comp-2 tires, but there are just none available. Don't want to give up on them, but seems it's also true they may no longer be produced. Hope they change their mind! Anyone heard any further updates? My sources here say they have no production date set in the system.

I'm aware of some of the Toyo Proxes options (RA1 and R888R), however, my plan is to regularly drive the car from May - Oct. Not sure how well these tires would be on the street, especially in the Spring and Fall temps. The final option is looking at 245/50R16 tires. These are not that common either, but I do have a source for some Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 tires in stock and available. The car has the 9.5" wide tires, so I understand the 245 might be right at the minimum.

If anyone has an other tire ideas, or comments on running either the RA1s, or running 245s, I am all ears!

Look forward to learning as much as I can from all of you, and thanks in advance for your help.
Josh
Welcome to the forum, nice car!
As for your tire search , try Tireland (ici pneu here in Quebec), I bought a set of BFGoodrich Comp 2’s last spring

Reactions: JJTL
A quick update on the ABS. I did bite the bullet and I was able to source an ABS Modulator Pump from Mirrock Corvette in PA, same place where I got my BFGooderich tires. I think a pretty fair price, $395USD. It's from an '89 car and has been tested. Hope to have it here before Thanksgiving, and get it in the car.

IMG_2453.jpeg

Cheers!
Josh

Happy Thanksgiving!

Lots to be thankful this year, including a C4 that is back on the road!! Thanks to everyone for the help along the way.

DB3DD002-954C-4F76-B5C1-B27B72D7799C.JPG

The "new" ABS unit got here last week, and we spent a few hours yesterday and today getting it installed in the car. Funny enough we still ran into the issue of getting the front MC brake line to thread back into the ABS pump. Took us over 2 hours to finally get it to thread. I can't think of anything that has tested patience this much before haha. The other 4 lines took 10 minutes combined to get threaded in. Sigh. Anyways, the brake bleeding went super smooth and we knew pretty quickly that our issue had been resolved.

Took it for a nice long test drive, and I can thankfully report back that the brakes are buttery smooth now. WOW! What a difference. Really drives nice.

The goal now is to drive it as much as I can before winter! Woohoo!

Hope you all had an awesome Thanksgiving as well!
Josh

Happy Thanksgiving!

Lots to be thankful this year, including a C4 that is back on the road!! Thanks to everyone for the help along the way.

View attachment 101583

The "new" ABS unit got here last week, and we spent a few hours yesterday and today getting it installed in the car. Funny enough we still ran into the issue of getting the front MC brake line to thread back into the ABS pump. Took us over 2 hours to finally get it to thread. I can't think of anything that has tested patience this much before haha. The other 4 lines took 10 minutes combined to get threaded in. Sigh. Anyways, the brake bleeding went super smooth and we knew pretty quickly that our issue had been resolved.

Took it for a nice long test drive, and I can thankfully report back that the brakes are buttery smooth now. WOW! What a difference. Really drives nice.

The goal now is to drive it as much as I can before winter! Woohoo!

Hope you all had an awesome Thanksgiving as well!
Josh
Congrats , it looks good. I have found over the years, that nothing gets fixed quick, but when its fixed it still puts that grin on your face.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.