Jan 25, 2022
Kitchener
VetteCoins
Car
1987 C4 Z51 Corvette
Province
ON
Hi there everyone!

A new 1987 C4 owner from Kitchener-Waterloo, joining you here. Just picked up our Nassau Blue (Medium Blue) C4 last week, we trailered it home since it's so cold here! -15C is not ideal weather to be loading a car, but you do what you have too.

The car is blue on blue with about 117,000 kms on the odometer. 4+3 Doug Nash manual, which I believe was required in '87 for the Z51 packaged. Overall, optioned pretty highly. The last owner only put about 3,000 kms on it in the last 3 years, so needs full servicing and tune up to bring it up to our standards. In good shape otherwise, though.

One thing I'm already learning from reading some of the last threads here, is the availability (or lack there of!) of 255/50R16 tires. The DOT dates on the current Dunlops is 2003, so they are just too old to try and eek any further life out of them. I've been searching everywhere for BFGooderich g-Force Sport Comp-2 tires, but there are just none available. Don't want to give up on them, but seems it's also true they may no longer be produced. Hope they change their mind! Anyone heard any further updates? My sources here say they have no production date set in the system.

I'm aware of some of the Toyo Proxes options (RA1 and R888R), however, my plan is to regularly drive the car from May - Oct. Not sure how well these tires would be on the street, especially in the Spring and Fall temps. The final option is looking at 245/50R16 tires. These are not that common either, but I do have a source for some Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 tires in stock and available. The car has the 9.5" wide tires, so I understand the 245 might be right at the minimum.

If anyone has an other tire ideas, or comments on running either the RA1s, or running 245s, I am all ears!

Look forward to learning as much as I can from all of you, and thanks in advance for your help.
Josh

Hey Josh..
Congrats on the new-to-you ride. Great looking car and I love the colour.
Try Continentals Extreme Contact DWS6+ for proper sizes. These are great 3-season tire.
Post some more pics when you have a chance.

welcome to CCF.

graham
Thanks, Graham! Thanks for the suggestion as well. Gave it a whirl on the Conti Extreme Contacts, but doesn't seem they have my size (255/50R16). 16" wheels have been tricky.

Haven't had a chance to get too many good shots yet, but here are a few.

Attachments

• IMG_3070.jpeg
    IMG_3070.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3061.jpeg
    IMG_3061.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3056.jpeg
    IMG_3056.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2463.jpeg
    IMG_2463.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3095.jpeg
    IMG_3095.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3063.jpeg
    IMG_3063.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
Love the car/colours/clean engine (steam cleaned?; hopefully no "fluid sweating") and expect you'll get lots of "oooohs and aaaaahs" from appreciative onlookers. As others have said, welcome to the Forums and you're off to a great start with your first postings!
Thanks for the kind words! I actually haven't had a chance to do any cleaning or detailing yet, those pics are as it was when I bought it. Stored indoors and only 3,000 km put on in the last 3 years or so. I'll admit the camera and the angle might be making the engine bay look cleaner. It's pretty clean under the hood, but actually quite a bit of detailing still needed. A pretty nice starting point at least :).

Hello and welcome to the forum @JJTL. Nice new to you Vette you picked up. I fully agree with Graham about the DWS06, great handling tire with excellent wear characteristics. I have a set that I run on my 2015 Vert, no complaints here. They even performed quite decent on the track at Bowling Green. Not quite to the level of what the PSS are on the track, but for a decent 3 season street tire, can't beat the price versus performance.

Reactions: nascar03 and JJTL
Congratulations! Nice car!! The tires problem is real...I think I got the last set of BF Goodrich tires in Canada last summer...Sorry! But check out what the guys in this blog are saying with regards to finding equivalent sizes. Can't wait for this crappy snow to go away!

Reactions: JJTL
Congratulations! Nice car!! The tires problem is real...I think I got the last set of BF Goodrich tires in Canada last summer...Sorry! But check out what the guys in this blog are saying with regards to finding equivalent sizes. Can't wait for this crappy snow to go away!
Thanks!! Yes, I'm certainly learning lots about tires. I actually almost had my hands on a used set of Yokohama tires last week. Can't wait for the snow to end! At least it gives me some time to solve the tire conundrum.

do the existing tires have cracks?
No major cracking that I can see. The sidewalls look quite good. Maybe some micro-cracking in the tread area.
Lebivette, you're right near Caledon Corvette! Very helpful if you need stuff. Helped me out a while back, and very reasonable and friendly!
First time I'm hearing of Caledon Corvette, thanks! Always great to have another source for Vette parts.

I don't have much history on the engine oil in the car right now, going to do a change soon to get it fresh. Not sure if it has synthetic or conventional in it now.

Are most of you guys running 5W30 engine oil in your C4? Brand? Conventional or Synthetic?

5w30 is what i run. its a sbc. it will be fine with whatever ha. if you are track driving, different story! and if u are cold starting in -30c, different story!

I track my Z as many times as i can in the summer, and before that was an 86 4+3, i run 15w40 at the track, and only synthetic, due to its resistance to heat breakdown exceeding 300f.

for street driving, long as its clean, really doesnt matter, in my opinion, based on my experience.

On that 86 high miler i had, it wasn’t maintained very good. Lots of hard crusty sludge. Id read a thread on cf about just running the cheapest oil u could find through it because you were only going to let it stay in the engine for a couple heat cycles and then drop change it. This technique worked quite well on that car. when i removed vc’s again a few months later (about three oil changes) it was substantially “cleaned up”. once that was done i then began to run synthetic 10w40 for the track and always had that in there until i sold it.

my high miler had extremely smelly oil! if you dont have nasty oil, you can pretty mich disregard the part about doing a few cleaning sacrificial oil changes

Reactions: JJTL
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.