Sep 29, 2017
St. Thomas
VetteCoins
I have a 1976 that I bought 6 years ago and was in storage. Just started working on it with my son as a project and found the previous Owner stripped the flywheel gear and the starter pinion. I am looking for step by step info and guidance to perform this work.

Thanks for the help!

...ouch ! , you have a job ahead of you. The reason they stripped may be cause they were not meshing when starter drive engaged, something that shims between the block and starter can fix. Or the starter was lose and the guy just kept grinding away ? Anyways the starter is easy, the flywheel you have 2 choices. Either drop the transmission to change the flywheel or pull out the motor to change the flywheel. Flywheel is a one minute job to switch, but the work to get at it is the killer. Also I would suggest getting a factory shop service manual for your car, they can be very helpfull in doing any mechanical work.

Last edited:
...ouch ! , you have a job ahead of you. The reason they stripped may be cause they were not meshing when starter drive engaged, something that shims between the block and starter can fix. Or the starter was lose and the guy just kept grinding away ? Anyways the starter is easy, the flywheel you have 2 choices. Either drop the transmission to change the flywheel or pull out the motor to change the flywheel. Flywheel is a one minute job to switch, but the work to get at it is the killer. Also I would suggest getting a factory shop service manual for your car, they can be very helpfull in doing any mechanical work.
Thanks . I think I will pull the motor and paint the firewalls at the same time.

Reactions: ddgermann
While you're at it replace both the throwout bearing and clutch release bearing.

...he didn't say if auto or std tranny , but if a auto ( my guess it is ) then there are no bearings. and if it is a std then might as well put a new clutch and pressure plate too while all is apart.

• Useful
Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.