This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

1970 C3 LS5 ... Question about fuel

I've used STA-BIL for my lawnmowers in the past, and it seemed to do the trick. However, when it comes to my 'precious old cars', I simply prefer not to take any chances. Fuel with no ethanol is better than ethanol in your fuel, and an additive to try to neutralize its effects. If its not too much trouble at this point to pump the fuel out, I would do that. If not STA-BIL is a good choice for stabilizer.

Stabil does little to neutralize the effects of ethanol, even the formulations that claim they do. It is purely an additive to prevent the degradation of gasoline, which for pure gasoline begins to occur between three to six months. Gasoline with ethanol degrades somewhat faster, between two and three months.

Reactions: V8! and Luke 1967
Just brotherly advice, refrain from using anything with ETHANOL. Specially during storage. Drain that staff off your vehicles.

Reactions: vintageracer
Hopefully, it’s not the fuel pump.

Yes. Moisture in your tank will mix with fuel. So ensure premium full tank specially during storage.

Before we bought our 2005 Corvette in 2012, I had a 1969 SS396 Chevelle with the L78 engine and 11-1 compression. First, I blocked the heat riser open. Getting heat away from the incoming air charge was the big thing. I added the sheet metal heat shield that snaps in between the heads. I blocked off the intake heat crossover passage in the intake. I also installed the GM aluminum heat shield that goes under the carb base and used two thick base gaskets for extra insulation. These engines run the 4346 780 Holley carb but the same rules apply to other carbs. I ran #73 jets on the primary side which are one size richer than what came in 1966. I toyed a lot with the advance curve with different weights and springs until things worked right. No numbers for that part of the mods. I drove the car that way from 1998 until 2012 with no problems.

That all make sense, sometimes simple minor comonsence goes a long way. Plus it works too. DIY methods are best sometimes. Thanks for the info. I don’t think any GOOD Mechanic would have thought of it. Cheers

Petro Can has a different detergent called TACTROL im not sure if it has something to do with ETHANOL!!!

All PC gasoline has ethanol. Tactrol is just a detergent trade marked by PC. All gasoline companies have there own version of cleaning detergents. It has nothing to do with ethanol.

All PC gasoline has ethanol. Tactrol is just a detergent trade marked by PC. All gasoline companies have there own version of cleaning detergents. It has nothing to do with ethanol.
Thanks. Now I’m really confused. If it’s Federal and Provincial regulations stations should not even put the percentage of ethanol on their pumps. Or should they???

Start with steering - replenish power steering fluid. You might have to do it a few times but it’s worth a try.

Thought I would give an update ....

Adjusted the timing and now using Petro-Canada 94 for the past 5-6 fill-ups.

Car runs great!
Yes. Previously someone posted that Petro-Canada contains Ethanol as per Government regulation. I use to put the same in my tank now I’m back to Shell 91 and will stay as Shell user. Cheers