jbiggie

I'm New Here
Mar 12, 2010
Edmonton
VetteCoins
Car
C6
I'm looking to pick up an 08' Vette and I'm looking at cars in the U.S. I've been looking at autotrader.com and I've noticed that when I search for 2008's with an auto tranny for under $35 000 I find that more than half of the listings are for the ZHZ's, kinda strange since these are a "Special Edition" and there were only 500 produced. Is it just because of the paint scheme that they re-sell for so cheap?

A contact of mine purchased a ZHZ and just brought it back to Canada 2 weeks ago. From what I think they are all being auctioned for between 26,000 and 29,000 US. I did a rough calculation and with 1 ZHZ being rented for a low average of 100 / day, Hertz has made estimated profits by renting these vettes and now recouping initial investment by selling them all now to get high dollar for them with, low-mod mileage [~60,0000 km], unique ZHZ package and warranty.

On the "other" forum, many members have bought the ZHZ's and only a few have had issues, and a few with minor interior scatches, but most of these items are fairly cheap to replace. As most rental vehicles, the upkeep is good, and most have the GM warranty work done on a regular basis, including all the TSB's completed. There were a total of 500 coupes and 375 convertibles built for North America in 2008 and 2009. There is a dealer here in Mississauga that has about 10 of them for sale, one of them with about 42k on it for only $36,995 CDN
Most buy them because they are cheap in comparison, and then remove the stripes and fender badges, so as to not be perceived as renters of the car. There is a big demand for the ZHZ stiched interior appointments including the floor mats, seats and center console arm rest. The outside appointments are the full length spoiler (common) black stripes (availale at GM) and the rims (available at GM) the badges may be hard to find from GM, but there may be some new ones available. They can be copied, although that is against the law :)
There are for sure fewer than 500 coupes available as some have not endured the abuse, as the attached photo shows.
area-z51-albums-my-z51-picture253-zhz.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't go near them. Many of them had been in accidents too, because the drivers were handling them like a front wheel drive.

:agree: I agree with Pierre would not touch one of these as most likely they have been over driven by people
just looking for a joy ride, no different then any rental car resale, would not touch it.

On the "other" forum, many members have bought the ZHZ's and only a few have had issues, and a few with minor interior scatches, but most of these items are fairly cheap to replace. As most rental vehicles, the upkeep is good, and most have the GM warranty work done on a regular basis, including all the TSB's completed. There were a total of 500 coupes and 375 convertibles built for North America in 2008 and 2009. There is a dealer here in Mississauga that has about 10 of them for sale, one of them with about 42k on it for only $36,995 CDN
Most buy them because they are cheap in comparison, and then remove the stripes and fender badges, so as to not be perceived as renters of the car. There is a big demand for the ZHZ stiched interior appointments including the floor mats, seats and center console arm rest. The outside appointments are the full length spoiler (common) black stripes (availale at GM) and the rims (available at GM) the badges may be hard to find from GM, but there may be some new ones available. They can be copied, although that is against the law :)
There are for sure fewer than 500 coupes available as some have not endured the abuse, as the attached photo shows.
area-z51-albums-my-z51-picture253-zhz.jpg

Not too much to salvage on that car :eek:

I have a friend wanting to sell his. He used to own some Hertz franchises and got one for himself. It currently has 71 miles on it. I personally think he wants too much for it - he's thinking he should be able to get close to MSRP. Nice car and 1 of like 30 that didn't get put in rental service, but it's still 3 years old in a Month when the 11's hit the stores.

the above is pretty cool.

But seriously, on the streets, how much abuse can one actually put on a rental? You can download how much duty cycle at max rpms the engine has been at. I bet its less than people who go 1/4 mile their car, or do a hpde day.

If you 4x4 with it, that is a totally different story. But, yes, they aren't as good as a regular guy that doesn't step on his car. But seriously, how many are out there that do that, and shame on you.

Some dealers are asking 40k for them. Good luck.

I would buy one in a flash if I were in the market for that type, and scan the computer, and lay away some $ for higher maintenance costs, like 1-2k with the savings.

I thought about the ZHZ myself a few weeks back. The price was very appealing. I can still get close to what I paid for my 02 3 years ago and only sink $5000 into one of these Hertz cars to trade up. I even went to see a couple in person to check them out. The exterior conditions alone made me walk away. None of them have the HUD and the sterring wheel controls either so that's was a deal breaker for me too.

I've seen some youtube vids people post driving them...
:eek:

When I travel to the States (Florida in particular) MANY of the Vettes I see are these Hertz Rentals. I don't personally like the wheels at all, but thats subjective and can always be changed. If you want a Vette for a good price and don't mind the fact that it has likely been driven hard by MANY different drivers, go for it. But I wouldn't expect it to be worth any money in the future the way the old ZHZ models were long ago.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread