Power User
Oct 8, 2016
West Vancouver, BC
VetteCoins
Car
2022 C8 Z51 3LT HTC
Province
BC

The rumors keep coming - interesting? I am a fan of N.A. engines - less to go wrong and turbos are expensive to service according to my neighbour. We shall see?

The rumors keep coming - interesting? I am a fan of N.A. engines - less to go wrong and turbos are expensive to service according to my neighbour. We shall see?
Nah, your neighbor is operating on old, outdated information.

Modern turbo’s are stone axe reliable and make a NA engine pull like a freight train from idle to redline. Turbo’s used to have a “sketchy” relibility record becuase of material and design deficiencies, but modern metalurgy combined with modern computer modelling and cnc production processes have all but eliminated thise concerns. Sure, turbo’s can always fail, but no more so than any orher part on a new vehicle.

Same as people complaining about “turbo lag”. Essentially, it doesn’t exist anymore as a result of turbo sizing, variable nozzles, etc.

Take my F-150 ecoboost. 3.5 liters, 390 hp, 385 lb/ft. Straight off the showroom floor, a crew cab 4x4 capable of high 13’s in the 1/4. Rated to tow 11,500 lbs and it will do it without breaking a sweat. Make my old gmc diesel look like a puss. Turbo lag? Yeah...nope. Hit the loud peddle and it just GOES like a bat outta heck....

Give me a modern turbocharged engine any day of the week...;)

Yeah well, they are called mechanical engineers - probably software and electrical as well- who knows. I guess cams can do the same thing as a turbo to a point??

Nah, your neighbor is operating on old information.

Modern turbo’s are stone axe reliable and make a NA engine pull like a freight train from idle to redline.

Same as people complaining about “turbo lag”. Essentially, it doesn’t exist anymore as a result of turbo sizing, variable nozzles, design advances, material choices, etc.

Take my F-150 ecoboost for example. 3.5 liters, 390 hp, 385 lb/ft. Straight off the showroom floor, crew cab 4x4 capable of high 13’s in the 1/4. Rated to tow 11,500 lbs and it will do it without breaking a sweat. Makes my old gmc diesel look like a puss. Throttle from idle makes it feel like the truck is attached to some huge rubber band that just keeps pulling harder and harder the more you stomp the peddle.

Give me a modern turbocharged engine any day of the week...;)
You got a basically double post there Tourmax. Please delete the one you don't like the most. :happy: Thanks.

I believe turbo units have to be serviced regularly ; maybe, not anymore? He just had his done on his bi-turbo BMW - not cheap.My son's Audi is super charged and his friends - same vehicle a few years newer is bi-turbo. My son feels that throttle response is better than the turbo charged car - who knows? In any case, I do know that there are many different configurations of each and that most mfg. are going to smaller engines with turbo charging - even Porsche now - 3 L and smaller I believe? I love NA engines - I love my 6.2L and will love it even more in the C8. The eco boost engine is a great engine to be sure.

Turbos have come a long way and factory installations are as dependable as superchargers and/or naturally aspirated engines. Since 1995 I have had 2 factory turbocharged vehicles and have logged over 600,000 km between the two of them. Never had a dollar's worth of problems with the turbos, or any other part of the engine for that matter and all I did was regular oil changes and air and fuel filters. I really doubt GM will try and pull 600hp out of a naturally aspirated engine but I was wrong once before...I think I was anyway... ..At the very least if they don't supercharge it, it will definately be a dual overhead cam opening 4 valves per cylinder to get enough air and fuel to it to remain NA. My money though is on a forced induction Z06, whether it's a Blower or a Turbo, and then dual OH cam and dual turbos on the ZR1 or Zora or whatever the H they call it.
But rumours are good things. I was starting to get bored after the C8 reveal. I'd gotten so comfortable with nearly 3 years of "maybe this, maybe that" that I was worried I'd have no more pure conjecture to read about... I sure miss Paul Harvey.... :angelic:

Reactions: ddgermann
I think you may be right: dual OH cams and 4V per cylinder. Yes, I believe you were wrong once - but, only once - not bad for a life time of prognostication:Nopity:

• Haha
Reactions: ddgermann
I think you may be right: dual OH cams and 4V per cylinder. Yes, I believe you were wrong once - but, only once - not bad for a life time of prognostication:Nopity:
hahahaha.... Yes. But it wasn't my fault. MotorAuthority misquoted me on that article.... :Biggrin:

Those bastards. Hey, doesn't anyone work anymore in AB?:Laughingatyou:

To be almost totally honest, I have a farm and everyone knows what farmers are like. We get out at 3 am. Milk the chickens, feed the cows, collect the eggs from the pigs, saddle the bull, ride 4 hours into the big city, buy a new combine, have coffee with the mistress, come home, argue with the wife, visit the sheep :)angelic: ), log into the forum, ban a few totally innocent members, drink bourbon until 3 the next morning and then start all over again....

I believe turbo units have to be serviced regularly ; maybe, not anymore? He just had his done on his bi-turbo BMW - not cheap.My son's Audi is super charged and his friends - same vehicle a few years newer is bi-turbo. My son feels that throttle response is better than the turbo charged car - who knows? In any case, I do know that there are many different configurations of each and that most mfg. are going to smaller engines with turbo charging - even Porsche now - 3 L and smaller I believe? I love NA engines - I love my 6.2L and will love it even more in the C8. The eco boost engine is a great engine to be sure.
Nope. Only service modern tubo’s require is regular engine oil changes on the scheduled maint.

Ugh, bi-turbo. Anything I’ve had any experience with that has “bi-turbo” stuck on it has been a nightmare. Poorly designed imho. Modern ones may be different though. Hard to imagine BMW building something crappy, but it happens sometimes.

A supercharger will always have better throttle response than a turbo. A supercharger is always spinning with the engine (belt driven off the crank) so boost is always there. A turbo is just along for the ride until you get enough exhaust gas velocity to build boost.

But, a supercharger creates parasitic hp loose when running (ie: like a ps pump or alternator does) and a turbo doesn’t as it is run off the exhaust gas, which is normally wasted energy. A turbo “re-claims” some of that exhaust energy and turns it into boost.

Pick your poison....;)

Last edited:
I’ve had NA/supercharged/turbocharged sports cars.
The best grunt has always been the NA engine. There is always some lag in Supercharged or turboed engines till the RPM comes up. Although in recent years this has been tuned to feel a lot less annoying.
No car I have ever had could come out of the hole at low rpm like my 13 Z06 with the NA LS7. This includes my 17 supercharged Z. Have to keep high rpms for this car to feel and perform like the LS7. And if you do... wow fun and fast. But who drives around like that? Not practical for daily driving.
I believe the full power parasitic draw is over 100HP on the C7Z06 and more for the ZR1s. Read that somewhere. Maybe somebody can confirm or correct me.
But in all practical matter the modern turbo on a car is really amazing and reliable.
My daughters car has a 1.4 L turbo engine and pulls pretty good once it spools up. Which is pretty fast and not annoying to feel. Not bad for a little Chevy Trax...
👍😂

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Back in the day, and likely now as well there was a saying for diesel pickups.... If you want a great ride, buy a GM; If you want a great engine, buy a Dodge; and if you want a great truck, buy a Ford.

There Al. That should get some feedback..... :laughbig:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread