wilyvet

Casual User
Dec 16, 2014
Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
2002 Z06
From reading forum accounts of Z06 owners dealing with GM dealers, I was almost prepared for the service writer's claims that I was wrong in requesting Mobil 1 15/50 for the 800 km oil change - in view of intended track use. "We can't do that." "We don't have Mobil 1 15/50." Telling him that GM bulletins specified synthetic 15/50 (a week before bringing the car for its 800 km service, then again on presenting the car) did no good. Begging him to go online or into his product bulletins did no good. Standing there in front of him, with customers queuing and staring, finally persuaded him that I was not leaving until he looked it up.
For Z06 owners who wish to save some time in the dealership service dept.: "Document ID: 3686604; Track Events and Competitive Driving; Caution: Not changing the engine oil to 15/50 may cause engine damage. Engine oil must be changed to 15/50 synthetic. " You might also bring, as I did, 10 liters of Mobil 1 15/50 - to give to the service salesman when he tells you no such product exists.
Specifying what I wanted in the way of wheel alignment (camber, caster, toe) became much easier after the service writer read the above-noted GM bulletin (which also includes track specs. much different from street specs.).

That is very strange as i received a Mobil 1 booklet with my package of documentation along with a paper speaking to the Mobil 1 oil change and times...

For new Z51 or Z06 Corvette owners...
2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes – Additional Required Maintenance..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 11/24/2014 Ref. number: Service / Service Operations / G_0000205212
Subject: 2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes – Additional Required Maintenance
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, and Cadillac Dealers
2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes – Additional Required Maintenance
The following message only applies to dry sump Corvettes that have not had their first oil change performed.
Some 2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes may experience a condition that leads to oil leaking out from the air cleaner assembly. This condition may be caused by running the engine continuously at a high engine speed with the first factory fill oil, resulting in silicone sealants in the engine’s gaskets degrading the oil’s anti-foaming agents. The oil foam has no effect on the engine’s durability.
Effective Immediately:
GM is changing the required maintenance schedule for all 2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes equipped with dry sump systems. The new schedule will require the oil/filter be changed immediately after the break-in period, which occurs after the first 500 miles of operation. Once the break-in oil change is performed and the Oil Life Monitoring system is reset, customers should follow the Oil Life Monitoring system for all future oil change needs.
The 2nd printing of the 2015 Owner Manuals is being updated with this change. These manuals will not be in the glove box material until January 2015. For vehicles produced before this change, and for all vehicles going forward, it is important to notify the customers that a change has been made, and they will need to have the vehicle’s oil changed after the break-in period. Copies of the new maintenance grid will be available on GMPROGRAMINFO.com, under Chevrolet, Resources.
As you are aware, all 2014/2015 Corvettes come with Chevrolet Complete Care which covers 2 years/24,000 miles of select required maintenance. Previously, up to 4 service events were allowed under the program guidelines in the 2-year/24,000-mile period. With the change in the maintenance schedule being effective immediately, an additional oil change allowance will be added to 2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes, increasing the amount of coverage to 2 years/24,000 miles, up to 5 service events.
Please make sure all dealership personnel are aware of this change.
http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-rqd-maint.pdf

To: Chevrolet, Buick, and GMC Dealers
The 2014-2015 Chevrolet Complete Care Program for Corvettes was designed to take into account the preferred Mobil 1 oil choice of many Corvette owners. As a reminder, dealers are required to use Mobil 1 when performing oil changes on ALL 2014-2015 Corvettes through the Chevrolet Complete Care Program. Current reimbursement levels for Corvette are based on Mobil 1 usage. Please remind all personnel that only Mobil 1 should be used. In addition, please refer to GlobalConnect message # G_0000205212 for details on dry sump equipped (Z51, Z52, and Z06) Corvettes.
In the event a customer paid an upcharge for Mobil 1 under the Chevrolet Complete Care Program, customers should be directed to contact Executive CAC at (855) 435-7284 or email [email protected] for reimbursement.

That is very strange as i received a Mobil 1 booklet with my package of documentation along with a paper speaking to the Mobil 1 oil change and times...

For new Z51 or Z06 Corvette owners...
2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes – Additional Required Maintenance..
Date: 11/24/2014 Ref. number: Service / Service Operations / G_0000205212
Subject: 2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes – Additional Required Maintenance
To: Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, and Cadillac Dealers
2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes – Additional Required Maintenance
The following message only applies to dry sump Corvettes that have not had their first oil change performed.
Some 2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes may experience a condition that leads to oil leaking out from the air cleaner assembly. This condition may be caused by running the engine continuously at a high engine speed with the first factory fill oil, resulting in silicone sealants in the engine’s gaskets degrading the oil’s anti-foaming agents. The oil foam has no effect on the engine’s durability.
Effective Immediately:
GM is changing the required maintenance schedule for all 2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes equipped with dry sump systems. The new schedule will require the oil/filter be changed immediately after the break-in period, which occurs after the first 500 miles of operation. Once the break-in oil change is performed and the Oil Life Monitoring system is reset, customers should follow the Oil Life Monitoring system for all future oil change needs.
The 2nd printing of the 2015 Owner Manuals is being updated with this change. These manuals will not be in the glove box material until January 2015. For vehicles produced before this change, and for all vehicles going forward, it is important to notify the customers that a change has been made, and they will need to have the vehicle’s oil changed after the break-in period. Copies of the new maintenance grid will be available on GMPROGRAMINFO.com, under Chevrolet, Resources.
As you are aware, all 2014/2015 Corvettes come with Chevrolet Complete Care which covers 2 years/24,000 miles of select required maintenance. Previously, up to 4 service events were allowed under the program guidelines in the 2-year/24,000-mile period. With the change in the maintenance schedule being effective immediately, an additional oil change allowance will be added to 2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes, increasing the amount of coverage to 2 years/24,000 miles, up to 5 service events.
Please make sure all dealership personnel are aware of this change.
http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-rqd-maint.pdf

To: Chevrolet, Buick, and GMC Dealers
The 2014-2015 Chevrolet Complete Care Program for Corvettes was designed to take into account the preferred Mobil 1 oil choice of many Corvette owners. As a reminder, dealers are required to use Mobil 1 when performing oil changes on ALL 2014-2015 Corvettes through the Chevrolet Complete Care Program. Current reimbursement levels for Corvette are based on Mobil 1 usage. Please remind all personnel that only Mobil 1 should be used. In addition, please refer to GlobalConnect message # G_0000205212 for details on dry sump equipped (Z51, Z52, and Z06) Corvettes.
In the event a customer paid an upcharge for Mobil 1 under the Chevrolet Complete Care Program, customers should be directed to contact Executive CAC at (855) 435-7284 or email [email protected] for reimbursement.

Thanks for this. I forwarded it to the dealer's service dept. and the sales manager (who might be wondering why they don't sell more Corvettes). I'm hoping that they forward the letter I wrote outlining this debacle to the District Service Manager.
When I picked up the Z06 from the service dept., there was an invoice for $190: $160 for the alignment; $20 for "shop supplies", which seemed to be antifreeze, because there was a note to the effect that they had brought coolant to a -40 degrees specification. Of course this indicates that they did not know that Corvettes use a 60/40 water/antifreeze mix, not the 50/50 mix implied by the "-40 degrees" of the note on the invoice. Moreover, Tadge Juechter has suggested that the overheating being experienced by those tracking their Z06s might be alleviated by changing to an 80/20 water/antifreeze mix, or even 100% water with an agent like Water Wetter (to promote heat transfer).
The purpose of checking the wheel alignment, as I explained to the service salesman a week in advance of my appointment, and again on the occasion, was mainly to check the rear caster. The first Z06 that Randy Pobst tested for Motor Trend handled dangerously (understeer on entry and snap oversteer on corner exit). It was discovered that the cause was 2 degrees positive caster at the rear, instead of the spec. 0 degrees. Top Gear reported an identical handling problem with the early Z06 they tested. I was prepared to pay for a wheel re-alignment to insure that this problem did not plague my car. The before/after alignment report indicated that the left rear was toed out from the factory (stock spec. has all four wheel toed in a bit, rear wheel toe out can also cause oversteer) and did not address rear caster at all. I still don't know what the rear caster is in my car. And apparently a car delivered (812 km on the odometer) with out of spec. wheel alignment is not eligible for warranty.
When asked by the service salesman if they could supply Mobil 1 15/50, the service manager apparently replied that there was no such product. I supplied the 9.3 liters of Mobil 1 15/50 used ... which has me wondering, since 9.5 liters is the spec., did they not change the filter? No mention was made of filter on the invoice. No credit was extended for the oil I supplied.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread