xlr8r

Power User
Apr 23, 2012
Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
Hey all.

What's the reald ifference between an "h" and an "x" pipe? Do the produce different gains of power? Noise differences? Just curious what most people have oin their 'Vette. Is "x" pipe more prominent on after market exhausts? How come?

Thanks for your opinions and input.:seeya:

i have an x pipe for my 76. from what i have been able to gather is the x pipe does a better job of scavenging and takes out alot of the in car drone or buzz at certain cruising rpm's. i hav'nt been able to install it yet because i may have to pull the motor to install the headers [ can't get the manifold bolts out ]. and if i pull the engine of course i won't want to put the same one back in. one thing really does lead to another !!! mine is a 2 1/2" magnaflow i got from performanceparts.com - 85 bucks. doug.

From my vast knowledge:)D) the H pipe just equalizes pressures; the X pipe also scavenges the exhaust and produces a few more ponies.

Don't know about noise or drones.

I believe the X pipe was developed by NASCAR racers.

C.

From my vast knowledge:)D) the H pipe just equalizes pressures; the X pipe also scavenges the exhaust and produces a few more ponies.

Don't know about noise or drones.

I believe the X pipe was developed by NASCAR racers.

C.

DING>DING DING we have a winner :rofl:

We ran our L78 Chevelle with and without the "H" pipe and there was no difference that you could feel. It did mellow the exhaust note some. I ran FloPro Originals on the car and they were fairly mellow and had zero drone anyway. FLO~PRO - Original They also have what they call an "X" pipe. Canadian company too. I had their mufflers on the Chevelle for 14 years and they were still in good shape. I don't think they are into Corvette exhaust but I wish they were. Loud enough to know you are there but not obnoxious. While the gains may be small with each change, do enough of them and they do add up.

Last edited:
The kit I bought for my Chevelle had an H pipe. I think Colin is totally right about both. I would rather not have the H pipe in the Chevelle as I like hearing the exhaust better from the back of the car without it but it was part of the kit so what are you going to do? I would do an X pipe though as it seems to have function.

would like to hear a before & after sound clip of a car that has had the x pipe installed, my magnaflows are loud and straight out the back, does the x-pipe smooth out the cam lumpy sound?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.