Casual User
You're 5
Jan 17, 2015
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
2016 Z06 LB
Hello Friends,

Looking for winter storage advice for a non-heated detached garage.

Wondering most about Engine Coolant versus intercooler coolant, sounds like they are two different reservoirs and I want both to be protected down below -35C or so. It gets cold in the the north.

I can easily drain/add Dexos coolant to the Radiator, but how do I get to the intercooler coolant?

Also, I have heard to pump the tires up to 40 PSI, add winter washer fluid and gas stabilizer.

Any other tips ?

Appreciate all advice.

Thanks. Matt.

Hello Friends,

Wondering most about Engine Coolant versus intercooler coolant, sounds like they are two different reservoirs and I want both to be protected down below -35C or so. It gets cold in the the north.

I can easily drain/add Dexos coolant to the Radiator, but how do I get to the intercooler coolant?

Also, I have heard to pump the tires up to 40 PSI, add winter washer fluid and gas stabilizer.

Any other tips ?

Appreciate all advice.

Thanks. Matt.

I don't have a z06 so no knowledge of the intercooler ... yes, over inflate the tires slightly, definitely a battery tender (Ctek makes very good ones) oil change (not a must), gas stabilizer, a good clean and wax, a cover, you can change the rad fluid (I didn't and last Feb. was bloody cold) and hope that the winter is short so we can drive our cars sooner.

Hello Friends,

Any other tips ?

Appreciate all advice.

Thanks. Matt.
Matt -- you'll find many tips in this special thread for winter storage including Paul's suggestion above:

http://www.canadiancorvetteforums.com/threads/corvette-winter-storage-thread.1816/

My guess is that the same coolant is circulated to the intercooler and should protect to -35*C -- a coolant tested will confirm that for you and is a very handy tool to have in your toolbox.

The dealer should have definitive answers to any questions about the coolant.

Colin.

The coolant of your blower should be the same as the one for the engine, just in a different reservoir/circuit. On my car (ZR1) I did check the coolant in the supercharger systeme and it was at -37c whit a refractometer. I am pretty sure it is the same in yours. I always put a bag of descicant inside the car to absorb humidity, I am not sure if it can stain the carpet so I put it on a little piece of wood.

Definitely put any descicant in or on something. The stuff I used to use, I purchased from an RV shop, I put it in a sock (as it was a bag of small pellets) and hung it from the roof with a sour cream container below it. It probably pulled half a cup of water out of the air and the "water" was a mix of the white powder goo and water so it would have stained everything. Yuck.

Also, I second the battery tender and if you can't get one, pull the battery and store it inside.
Oddly enough, Corvette Central has a battery tender on for the deal of the day today!

I was told by my dealership in Alberta that my Z06 needs to be stored in a heated area because the tires crack in the cold. Here is a interesting link:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/03...er-corvette-owners-complain-of-cracked-tires/

Sure, an ideal storage ... but how many people have a heated garage? Last February was the coldest on record in Ontario. As long as you don't drive the car, the tires should be ok. If they crack while stored, the warranty should kick in.

Great advice, thanks.

I tested the coolant and also had a reading of -37C so all good.

Added dessicant as suggested so thanks for that. Found that Walmart has 100% silica gel cat litter that does the job for $18 for a large container. Put it in 3 tupperware containers with an open hole in the lid with lots left over for next year. Disconnected battery and wrapped it all up in 2 waterproof layers of tarps plus a car cover (I parked on top of one large tarp, covered the car with a car cover, warped the large tarp over the car cover to give a 360 degree coverage and then covered with another tarp on top). Laid a bunch of mouse traps and bounce sheets around the perimeter to keep the critters away.

Crossing my fingers, but so far all is good.

Thanks guys !

Sounds like you have it all wrapped up! :D
As for wrapping the car in a tarp and a tarp. My only reservation may be with any trapped moisture not being able to escape. I'm conflicted as to whether it is better to seal the car up, or let it breath.......HOWEVER, reading your post again and the fact that you have desiccant, you should be good to go!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread