YZFMax

Casual User
Nov 26, 2014
Scarborough, ON
VetteCoins
Car
-
I'm in the market for a Corvette and will be a daily driver including winters. I understand that some people do drive their cars in the winter. I'm coming from a Mustang GT which I've been using for the past 11 winters and had no issues.

My question is around rust proofing, I understand that the frame is aluminum and not galvanized metal as most cars. Does the car still need to be rust proofed for the winters? I tried searching but could not get a definite answer. Looking for some guidance.

Thanks

I'm in the market for a Corvette and will be a daily driver including winters. I understand that some people do drive their cars in the winter. I'm coming from a Mustang GT which I've been using for the past 11 winters and had no issues.

My question is around rust proofing, I understand that the frame is aluminum and not galvanized metal as most cars. Does the car still need to be rust proofed for the winters? I tried searching but could not get a definite answer. Looking for some guidance.

Thanks

Firstly, you'll get a few raised eyebrows on winter driving a vette. Yes it is a car and not made of sugar but it's also far from ideal as a winter beater, low ground clearance, wide rears etc. even if you don't care about the salt damage.

If your heart is set on driving it in winter my personal opinion is your number one defence against rust and salt and the most effective way to keep your car rust free is to wash it 'properly' as frequently as possible. That means washing the underside as often as the body.

In terms of rust proofing methods there are 3 that I'm aware of (speaking of the frame specifically):

1. Electronic module - waste of money and almost no science behind it
2. Tar based sprays - ideally done on a new car and really as good as the application as cracks will develop and let moisture through
3. Oil sprays - involves drilling holes and reapplication once a year usually, some can go for a few years. This one is the most popular but keep in mind the oils will make it to the body of the car and give you that I've just come back from a coal mine look.

If you religiously wash and maintain your car frequently i.e. weekly basis or more then I'd say skip the treatments. If you're lax with maintenance then go with 3 above.

Personally I'd get a fun car that sits a bit higher off the ground for winter. You also need to come to terms with the fact that no matter how good your rust proofing is it will never be 100% again.

I think Nik answered that one pretty good. But it can depend on how old a corvette you want to use also. Not long ago I took in a friends 70 454 Stingray and this car had 235/75/15 grip tires on it . Obviously was used year round. It sat pretty high actually. But it was very rusty underneath as no undercoating.
If it was me, I would paint everything underneath with something like POR 15. It sticks unreal and does not crack or peel if applied right. Then I'd spray a tar type undercoating over it. And just keep washing it in a do it yourself cash wash where you can stick the wand underneath as much as possible to flush the crap out. That is about the best one can do to preserve the car . I think out east there they only use salt. Here we use red potash which is way worse .

Thanks for the quick replies, I'm looking at a new Corvette (2017). I knew this would raise eyebrows with winter driving the Corvette, but I plan on keeping the car for about 10 years (as with all my cars) and it will be mostly depreciated by then, so why not make good use of it?

The third car is not a real option for me as I have teenage kids that drive, so insuring them as primary drivers is way too expensive.

I just wanted to understand if rust proofing is required for the new Corvettes before heading to the dealership.

Thanks!

Right on, new car and enjoy it as much as possible. If the factory option is there then take the undercoating regardless winter driving or not my opinion. My 82 still has the factory undercoat and the underneath is very nice. Wouldn't hurt to ask the dealer if they can spray anything extra to add more protection . Salt/potash eats all metal , so protect it as much as possible if you want your car to last 10 years and still have something of value at the end.

I agree with Nik. Driving this car in the winter .... well to each his own, but I don't see this as being viable. Way too much power, even in weather mode, too low and IMO, too nice of a car. I don't think I have ever seen any vette driven in the winter, but I've been wrong before. Enjoy your car.

I know we've had a couple members who drive their vettes in winter, but I can't recall exactly who as it's been a while since they've visited us.
I think I may take a different stance on winter driving the Vette. Mostly as we haven't had snow and outside of the cold, nothing has been physically stopping me from being able to drive the Vette outside of just not wanting to. However, we did just get a 6" dump of snow.
The only limitation I see to driving a Vette in winter is ruts and snow. If you get some Blizzaks or other deadicated winter tires, I don't see the problem. The Vette has better weight distribution than a Mustang, so more weight over the rear tires, it has a lower centre of gravity for better turning, and its lighter. It still has traction and stability control so as long as you're not dragging the bottom of the car, I'd think you should be good to go.
As for rustproofing. I had a Counter Act electronic box on my truck when I redid the body on it.....it still rusted. I've heard very good things about the Ziebart rust proofing treatment and would lean that way myself and if the car is new, i believe it comes with a guarantee.
Let us know what you decide! It'll be interesting seeing how the Corvette does through winter over the years.

Reactions: Greg06
o_O Well Max..... congrats on your decision to buy a Corvette. I see you have been a member here for a couple years. Is this your first Corvette? You have some good advice in the previous posts but you are going to find a HUGE difference between the Mustang and the C7; especially in the winter.

It's possible that maybe you don't have much of a winter where you live but for what it's worth here in Alberta: I'm not a big man (175 anytime except Christmas season) but I couldn't imagine climbing into my Vette daily wearing a down filled jacket or even a couple extra layers... The cockpit fits like a glove and getting your hand into a glove is similar to getting into the C7. A pair of winter boots will be dragging salt and sand across the shiny new Stingray emblem on the door sills; the toes of those boots will also leave a briny trail as they scuff the leather door liner; then when you finally bend and twist enough to be sitting straight, that winter footwear will be fumbling around trying to differentiate between the dead pedal, the clutch, the brake and the go pedals....Those firm fitting and supportive seat bolsters will also wonder why you are fitting on top of them instead of between them...But you think after all that that 'they must have put heated seats in these for a reason'... Then at long last, when you are ready to go and push that starter button, it will all be worth it.... those 460 anxious ponies (or 650 if you are thinking supercharged Z06 winter driving) will greet you with a resounding roar and undertones of 'c'mon.. step on it...let's go'. And as you gently ease the clutch out because of the build up of compacted ice and the 2 inches of freshly fallen snow, being extremely careful to let the engine remain just over an idle so as to not light up the tires..... oops. the engine coughs and stalls.... grrrrr.... Ok... once more with some throttle this time... And ......vrrooom...vrooomm .... Nothing..... the car refuses to move...not even an inch... in either direction.... Ok.... not all is lost.... Brenda...Oh Brenda.... can you come out and give me a push.... Whoa.... not with your hands... here.... use this micro fibre cloth to push with.... Whoa.... Don't push on the Spoiler either.... Here... put one hand here... and the other hand there.... And Voila`...off we go slipping and sliding through the snow...sideways....now the other sideways...finally getting her straightened as you're trying to keep the car moving without bumping it up past an idle..... On Dasher....on Dancer...on Donner.... oops.... different story

Ok..... If you've read this far, that was not meant to call out your decision or discourage you....I've just had too much caffeine this morning... lol.......

That was actually me moving my car out of my man cave last New Years to make room for a party.... first time last time.... but keep in mind, I was running on the stock Pilot SS rubber.... you will be fine with a set of aggressive snow lugs.... and maybe chains....

Good Luck.... Guaranteed you will love your C7... especially in the summer.... :thumbs:

Eric

Ha! The last post almost made me spit my coffee out. Lol

Thanks for all the great advice. I live and work in Toronto, so our winters are not as bad as Alberta. I will be getting winter tires as I have done with all my cars. And if the weather is really bad, I can always work from home or take transit.

My mustang has been lowered and has no issues plowing through the snow, plus I threw up with rear wheel cars without all the new technologies and winter tires. Had no issues with driving in winter.

All in all, if I'm going to buy the car, I will be driving it. I've been a member on this forum for a couple of years and now is my time to buy. So exited. :)

haha, thanks Eric! I almost lost my coffee too. Your description was quite visual, in fact, I started to tear up just imagining what you were describing.

I also spent quite a few years driving fox body Mustangs in the winter, a couple of Camaros, and have had to drive my Trans Am in the ice and snow twice. I can relate to what you are saying about driving a rear-drive car without traction and stability controls and managing to keep control. It can be done, but let's be fair - you shouldn't! lol. Once I finally decided to get a dedicated winter beater, I was much happier (less stress), and vowed that I would never drive another high horsepower RWD car in the winter again. Of the 12 cars I saw in the ditches yesterday on the way home, 3 were Mustangs, and 1 Camaro. Not that any of this really matters. You are going to do what you want to do no matter what anybody tells you, so good luck to you.

I only have one piece of good advice for you: Leave the Corvette in the garage for the winter and buy a Trailblazer SS (or Cherokee SRT-8)! Then, you will look forward to when it snows! lol.

I only have one piece of good advice for you: Leave the Corvette in the garage for the winter and buy a Trailblazer SS (or Cherokee SRT-8)! Then, you will look forward to when it snows! lol.

I used to store cars in my garage for the winter, along with my bike. At the end of the day, it's a car and should be used. So I plan to use it as much as I can. And once I'm done with it, will give it to one of my kids.

You won't be alone in the GTA. I've parked mine for the season, but I've seen a couple of C7's out this winter.

Some of us here see our Corvette's as more than just a car, and we probably should go to group therapy together. I'd definitely inquire at the dealer on rust proofing, then the only other step would be getting the best winter tires and rims that fit.

Enjoy it when you get it!

You won't be alone in the GTA. I've parked mine for the season, but I've seen a couple of C7's out this winter.

Some of us here see our Corvette's as more than just a car, and we probably should go to group therapy together.

Shhhhhhhhhhhsh....don't listen to him baby.... you are way more than just a car...... :rolleyes:;)

vette.jpg
love my Vette.JPG

Reactions: smackYYZ
You can buy a winter beater for the price of a good set of winter tires. Beaters are great fun. You will have a way better time in a POS winter car ripping through the snow and bouncing off things than trying not to trash a vette. The independent rear in the vette would make it an absolute nightmare. It will swap ends on you real quick.

I winter drive my C7 in Toronto, and have a winter wheel package that I realy like. Not daily tho, and I avoid any snow that might cause ground clerance issues. So basically I view the winter tires/wheels as enabling safe traction in cold weather, when the roads are essentially bare.

I waited a long time in life to afford a new Vette, and I figure I am way too old to let it sit undriven and unenjoyed for months!

Reactions: Riley P
Friend of mine has always driven his Corvettes in winter and currently drives his C7 Z06 all winter with no problems. He of course has winter specific tires & wheels and does not take it out in fresh deep snow or ice unless he has to. Says that you have to be cautious as you would with any high horsepower rear drive vehicle. Can not emphasize changing out tires enough. Have driven both of my C7s (2014 Z51 & 2017 GS) well into the cold weather months and those standard summer Michelins get very hard and slippery below 10C and downright dangerous below 5C. I would steer clear of any form of rust proofing as it tends to create pockets that trap moisture. Several manufacturers now tell you not to do aftermarket rustproofing even threatening to void the corrosion warranty if you do. Consumer Reports, the bible of objective testing strongly recommends not to use aftermarket or dealer applied rust proofing saying that mainstream cars manufactured in the last decade have vastly improved their corrosion resistance. They say that at best it is a waste of money and at worst it can lead to moisture traps. Good luck the C7 it is truly a wonderful vehicle.

Reactions: smackYYZ
No way my baby gets driven in the snow, sand or salt: rain yes as I have decided to drive mine whenever possible as I am not getting any younger and I want to enjoy this amazing car as much as possible.
Great piece of writing RRUUFF: do I need to go to those group sessions still?

Not being familiar with the local weather in Ontario, I can only read through the obvious popularity of Corvette winter driving with awe. Even if I wasn't concerned about traction, clearance, and the chloride infused chip sand used on the roads here, I would still be embarrassed to see myself driving down the snow covered roads and the slick glazed ice intersections, and watch people point and laugh at the dufus (me) driving his Corvette in those conditions. But humour me because that is Alberta. We don't plow roads here. We allow snow to get packed by traffic in multiple layers until the winter's depth of snowfall has built up much higher than the sidewalks. The wheel tracks of course wear down somewhat to the point that even my SUV is apt to high center at the very least by early January. Thus, for the brief couple of weeks that I would possibly be able to winter drive my Corvette, I also would not jeopardize my possibly incorrect assumption that most Corvette aficionados would not purchase a used Vette that was winter driven in Alberta's climate, at least not if the truth be told and not for market value. But as I said, this is Alberta. Ok... Wife says I have to go to the store... Nope... Corvette is staying in the man cave...I'll take my winter beater instead.... :Biggrin:

lambo.jpg

lol.... JC. This is not the first time therapy has been suggested to me.... Brenda has her own opinion on my various obsessions and the increasingly high pedestal my Corvettes have resided upon.... But in answer to your question, Yes. I'm sure psychological help is available for us somewhere... maybe we could make it a Corvette run.... Summer only of course.... :rofl:
072913_5.gif

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.