Yep Alberta is a true challenge in winter for most vehicles. The stated goal of the department of highways in southern Ontario is all provincial roads to be bare and dry within 24 hours of any storm! We don't have a real winter like so many Canadian cities do, we just have 8 weeks of unpleasant weather. Most of us consider toe rubbers as serious winter footwear.

hmmmmm..... Can't believe in the interest of uniformity they didn't back it in.... How can they chat with each other when they are facing different directions? Bluetooth I suppose... :rolleyes:

Reactions: smackYYZ
OMG ... something new on the effects of global warming!
Can't ponder the worry about rust proofing ... if I was winter vette driving?
There's nothing to stop being hit by the dude rubber necking while checking out the vette next to him ...
... ok I am going back into hibernation ... zzzzzzzzz

Thanks for the quick replies, I'm looking at a new Corvette (2017). I knew this would raise eyebrows with winter driving the Corvette, but I plan on keeping the car for about 10 years (as with all my cars) and it will be mostly depreciated by then, so why not make good use of it?

The third car is not a real option for me as I have teenage kids that drive, so insuring them as primary drivers is way too expensive.

I just wanted to understand if rust proofing is required for the new Corvettes before heading to the dealership.

Thanks!
I know of at least four of by buddies that drive them all year and they are no different than a RWD truck with winter tires. No good in the deep snow.Lol

I've used Ziebart in a 300zx I had way back when new. In every year for its yearly inspection. This was a tar/ wax product that failed. Both my rockers rotted. I had to take them to court to pay for the repairs. They didn't want to stand behind their product.

frank

I know we've had a couple members who drive their vettes in winter, but I can't recall exactly who as it's been a while since they've visited us.
I think I may take a different stance on winter driving the Vette. Mostly as we haven't had snow and outside of the cold, nothing has been physically stopping me from being able to drive the Vette outside of just not wanting to. However, we did just get a 6" dump of snow.
The only limitation I see to driving a Vette in winter is ruts and snow. If you get some Blizzaks or other deadicated winter tires, I don't see the problem. The Vette has better weight distribution than a Mustang, so more weight over the rear tires, it has a lower centre of gravity for better turning, and its lighter. It still has traction and stability control so as long as you're not dragging the bottom of the car, I'd think you should be good to go.
As for rustproofing. I had a Counter Act electronic box on my truck when I redid the body on it.....it still rusted. I've heard very good things about the Ziebart rust proofing treatment and would lean that way myself and if the car is new, i believe it comes with a guarantee.
Let us know what you decide! It'll be interesting seeing how the Corvette does through winter over the years.

I read CR too. What you quoted re 'corrosion resistance' was referring to ordinary steel bodied cars. They certainly did not have any dealing with composite body Vets.
In as far as 'manufactures 'telling' you not to do aftermarket RP, I don't buy that for a moment. The wording is 'suggesting', cause YES 'factory' RP has gotten better, but every manufacturer is saying that now( buy our cars, we've gotten better) to instill product confidence.
Who are these Manufacturers? Threatening the 'corrosion' warrranty?
Can lead to moisture traps? With a 'tar/ wax' product like Zeibart, (happened to my 300zx) or something bought at Canadian Tire to apply yourself, but not a 'oil type, like 'Krown'.

Anyone buying any new 'steel' car, and buying into the 'dealer special' rust proofing/ interior protection is just paying through the nose. They don't do any RP at the dealer, they send the cars to the RP shop. They don't do any 'interior protection', they get a 'mobile protection shop' to come into the dealership to do that work. And of course, the dealer pumps up the price much higher than what we would pay if the car was taken in to the shops by the owners themselves.

Just can't wrap my head around the OP wanting to spend all that dough on a new C7, and drive it every winter. Now this winter in Toronto (what winter?) was nothing except for a couple of days. On the other hand, I was not tempted to go north to my cottage (Orillia) even in my 4WD truck. Brrrrr...
I guess he might change his mind when we get a real winter, and someone slides into him, or he hits curb, hopefully nothing nasty.

frank

Friend of mine has always driven his Corvettes in winter and currently drives his C7 Z06 all winter with no problems. He of course has winter specific tires & wheels and does not take it out in fresh deep snow or ice unless he has to. Says that you have to be cautious as you would with any high horsepower rear drive vehicle. Can not emphasize changing out tires enough. Have driven both of my C7s (2014 Z51 & 2017 GS) well into the cold weather months and those standard summer Michelins get very hard and slippery below 10C and downright dangerous below 5C. I would steer clear of any form of rust proofing as it tends to create pockets that trap moisture. Several manufacturers now tell you not to do aftermarket rustproofing even threatening to void the corrosion warranty if you do. Consumer Reports, the bible of objective testing strongly recommends not to use aftermarket or dealer applied rust proofing saying that mainstream cars manufactured in the last decade have vastly improved their corrosion resistance. They say that at best it is a waste of money and at worst it can lead to moisture traps. Good luck the C7 it is truly a wonderful vehicle.

'Toe Rubbers'? What kinky chit are you into my friend??? :Biggrin:

Yep Alberta is a true challenge in winter for most vehicles. The stated goal of the department of highways in southern Ontario is all provincial roads to be bare and dry within 24 hours of any storm! We don't have a real winter like so many Canadian cities do, we just have 8 weeks of unpleasant weather. Most of us consider toe rubbers as serious winter footwear.

'Just' eyeballed the date you first posted.
Have you gotten your car?
Two tips for you: 'Weather Tech' laser cut floor mats. Google them to see if available for the C7, if yes get them. I have them in my truck, and highly recommend them.

If you are going to beat the chit out of your car through the winter, invest in a 3M Clear Bra package, before any damage occurs.

Use 'Rain X' windshield washer fluid, same brand windshield glass protector (great product')

frank

May the force be with you y'all! :Nopity:

I'm in the market for a Corvette and will be a daily driver including winters. I understand that some people do drive their cars in the winter. I'm coming from a Mustang GT which I've been using for the past 11 winters and had no issues.

My question is around rust proofing, I understand that the frame is aluminum and not galvanized metal as most cars. Does the car still need to be rust proofed for the winters? I tried searching but could not get a definite answer. Looking for some guidance.

Thanks

'Just' eyeballed the date you first posted.
Have you gotten your car?
Two tips for you: 'Weather Tech' laser cut floor mats. Google them to see if available for the C7, if yes get them. I have them in my truck, and highly recommend them.

If you are going to beat the chit out of your car through the winter, invest in a 3M Clear Bra package, before any damage occurs.

Use 'Rain X' windshield washer fluid, same brand windshield glass protector (great product')

frank

May the force be with you y'all! :Nopity:

I went to the Chevy dealer with my family to order the car, but unfortunately they were not giving a fair price for a trade-in. So no Vette for me this time. :(

Ended up at the Ford dealership and bought another Mustang GT, which I am using all year around. Will try again in a couple of years to buy the Vette again. Still very happy with the Mustang, now my wife wants to upgrade the exhaust. LOL

Oh man ... such a sad, sad ending to this story :( ...

... and yup :thumbs: there's a bucket list of options my wife wants on my car too ...;)

... up for reconsideration? there's an awesome exhaust on a new vette ! :angelic:

... all in good fun ... gtg :heavycar:

(a calculated maximum out-of-pocket budget ... and a crappy negotiated trade-in amount equates to one being hardnosed for even a bigger discount from msrp)
... works out the same as long as your patronage is respected by the Dealership/Sales Manager ... hopefully?

Last edited:
Awwww... too Bad YZ... But the bright side of the story is you've found a great forum where you can at least talk about Corvettes in the meantime... ;)

Sorry to hear that my friend.

But I hope you still take my recommendations into consideration.

3M Expel Clear Bra
Weather Tech floor mats
Krown Rust control

I went to the Chevy dealer with my family to order the car, but unfortunately they were not giving a fair price for a trade-in. So no Vette for me this time. :(

Ended up at the Ford dealership and bought another Mustang GT, which I am using all year around. Will try again in a couple of years to buy the Vette again. Still very happy with the Mustang, now my wife wants to upgrade the exhaust. LOL

Thanks guys, this is a great forum and will pop in once in while.

I'm still interested in the Vette, but decided to wait until both my kids are finished with university, so another 5 years.

On a side note. My older son is studying Mechatronics Engineering and has been working at FCA in Michigan in the summers as an intern. He does get together with the GM interns in Detroit once in a while and asked about the mid-engine Corvette. They did not deny it, but kinda hinted towards it. So I do see a MA version coming soon. Maybe that will be the one. ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.