A breath of fresh air thank you. Hydrocarbons will be with us for many years to come. And there is no shortage of the stuff. As exploration and recovery tech has evolved massively in the last years the end of supply is not even on the horizon, the speculation on going of all-electric next week is purely that.

Love these guys who live in a hydrocarbon world and talk with some self-perceived authority about it like it will be gone tomorrow to try and rationalize an expensive purchase that will drop 20% in value the moment their name goes on the title. And just gets worse from there as the days tick by and KMs pile up.

Things not on your list; televisions, credit cards, pool toys, and the caps for Jack Daniels

The American V8 will be around for quite some time yet.

As much as I would like to say yes this will be a highly valuable car to collect. I doubt it very much unless it has some factory uniqueness which seems unlikely.

Buy it and enjoy it till it falls apart under you knowing you bought enjoyment at a cost... otherwise; why even buy it. A massed produced car is simply that.

I didn't purchase it to store it. I don't even plan on having it for more than two years. I enjoy vehicles and tend to switch out of cars often. With that said, your idea that the American V8 cars will be around in 10-15 years, no they won't. I just don't think they spend any more money making the V8 better, faster or more efficient. Hence we are at the height of technology for combustion engines.

I don't think you have a grasp on how quickley the auto world is going to shift to electric.

1. Tesla is worth more than any other American automaker
2. Many European countries have banned the sale of combustion engines starting between 2025 - 2030 - incl. UK, France, Denmark etc.
3. Automakers flagships are becoming electric. Think mustang e, Jaguar XJ (2021), All Volvo vehicles in 2022 will have some type of electric drive train assist.

All these things point that an auto company's R&D dollars will be spent on electric and not making better V8's. All I'm saying is that the LT2 in this corvette might be the last re-designed N/A v8 going into a sports car. Especially a mid-engine sports car at that.(worldwide)

Yes, oil production will continue for much much longer as many things require oil, and the remaining gas/diesel cars will be around as well for probably another 25-35 years or more. But that was never my point. I agree oil production will be around for a long time. The American V8 not so much. Well at least that's what the stock market and Europe think. (oh and I think Vancouver banned Gas cars starting in 2025 - 2030 as well).

M

I don't think any new car will really be collectable, maybe a bit, but they will have nowhere the price appreciation of 70's and before cars and here is my hypothesis.........

In new cars, too many electronics, can you imagine, wiring problems, ABS, Air bag, trying to get the gazillion parts required to restore one?? There is also the natural degradation of the many seals and plastics that become brittle.

The pre-computer cars are very simple and with age, (providing they don't rust out) generally need almost nothing special to restore them or get them running. Soo many of their engine parts are interchangeable and they are just so simple, no computers, no sensors, and very little wiring.

That being said unless you are into a different bracket of collecting, such as GT40, older Ferrari, and old cars in general that should not be driven, these new cars need to be driven and enjoyed :)

I don't think any new car will really be collectable, maybe a bit, but they will have nowhere the price appreciation of 70's and before cars and here is my hypothesis.........

In new cars, too many electronics, can you imagine, wiring problems, ABS, Air bag, trying to get the gazillion parts required to restore one?? There is also the natural degradation of the many seals and plastics that become brittle.

The pre-computer cars are very simple and with age, (providing they don't rust out) generally need almost nothing special to restore them or get them running. Soo many of their engine parts are interchangeable and they are just so simple, no computers, no sensors, and very little wiring.

That being said unless you are into a different bracket of collecting, such as GT40, older Ferrari, and old cars in general that should not be driven, these new cars need to be driven and enjoyed :)

I agree with that! Maybe we will be able to get the CNC designs for the parts and 3D print everything from home! LOL. But ya I agree with that completely. But the 95-97 Porsche 911 does seem to be an anomaly to that.

Reactions: V8!
I didn't purchase it to store it. I don't even plan on having it for more than two years. I enjoy vehicles and tend to switch out of cars often. With that said, your idea that the American V8 cars will be around in 10-15 years, no they won't. I just don't think they spend any more money making the V8 better, faster or more efficient. Hence we are at the height of technology for combustion engines.

I don't think you have a grasp on how quickley the auto world is going to shift to electric.

1. Tesla is worth more than any other American automaker
2. Many European countries have banned the sale of combustion engines starting between 2025 - 2030 - incl. UK, France, Denmark etc.
3. Automakers flagships are becoming electric. Think mustang e, Jaguar XJ (2021), All Volvo vehicles in 2022 will have some type of electric drive train assist.

All these things point that an auto company's R&D dollars will be spent on electric and not making better V8's. All I'm saying is that the LT2 in this corvette might be the last re-designed N/A v8 going into a sports car. Especially a mid-engine sports car at that.(worldwide)

Yes, oil production will continue for much much longer as many things require oil, and the remaining gas/diesel cars will be around as well for probably another 25-35 years or more. But that was never my point. I agree oil production will be around for a long time. The American V8 not so much. Well at least that's what the stock market and Europe think. (oh and I think Vancouver banned Gas cars starting in 2025 - 2030 as well).

M
The market for V8’s hasn’t been Europe for 30 years, and I guess in 4 years I won’t be going to Vancouver. I am interested in seeing how Vancouver enforces that. The V8 is and will continue to be a mainstay in North America for some time to come, specifically because of the pickup truck. As a result of the continuing demand for pickups, the V8 will be cross utilized in North American sport/muscle cars. Even a Toyota a few years ago stuffed their version of a V8 into their truck lineup. Long live the 8 (or more) cylinder push rod, normally aspirated, gas guzzling, and carbon emitting engine. If the Euro cool, latte drinking, leaf licking crowd don’t want it, so be it.

On a side note, try to drive an electric vehicle from Calgary to Saskatoon in January. Last charge between the two points is Drumheller. Good luck popping in for a charge in Jamestown.....

The market for V8’s hasn’t been Europe for 30 years, and I guess in 4 years I won’t be going to Vancouver. I am interested in seeing how Vancouver enforces that. The V8 is and will continue to be a mainstay in North America for some time to come, specifically because of the pickup truck. As a result of the continuing demand for pickups, the V8 will be cross utilized in North American sport/muscle cars. Even a Toyota a few years ago stuffed their version of a V8 into their truck lineup. Long live the 8 (or more) cylinder push rod, normally aspirated, gas guzzling, and carbon emitting engine. If the Euro cool, latte drinking, leaf licking crowd don’t want it, so be it.

On a side note, try to drive an electric vehicle from Calgary to Saskatoon in January. Last charge between the two points is Drumheller. Good luck popping in for a charge in Jamestown.....
European mid engine N/A sports cars include Ferrari 458-Audi R8-and many others. There has been a market for European v8's in the last 10 years, just not anymore in that last little bit. I think the Tesla cyber truck might have something to say in regards to truck V8's. Maybe not today, but in the next 5-8 years. There are many examples where your line of thinking has proven to be wrong, Think Nokia vs apple on the iPhone, Kodak camera's and photograph (one of the largest companies in the world at the time) printing pictures became obsolete within 5 years after camera phones and digital photography came about. Heck even the guy making horseshoes laughed at the ford model T in the early 1900's, them horses were faster than a car still! Not saying it's happening tomorrow. But we will agree to disagree on whether the internal combustion engine will be still produced in the numbers we see today in ten years. No chance in my opinion. And in 25-30 years that technology will be like opening a Motorola Startac today to make a phone call.

• Agree
Reactions: vintageracer
One has to tip a hat to those that instigated this global panic: there is far more going on that the mear mortals such as you and I are privy too. One would think what's going on in the world is nothing less than a James Bond movie created by Hollywood writers. The transformation from a straight 8 to a V-8 was by far an engineering masterpiece... to find a 350 (1) V-8 motor in a scrap yard is like looking for hen's teeth. Time to move on my fellow gearheads and say farewell to the American V-8.

Reactions: MikeC8

I still see the V8 in passenger cars on a decline but the pick up truck is registered as a commercial vehicle with black number plates and validation stickers on the front here in Ontario so will not need to meet the same government requirements. As a high performance ( sarcasm ) previous Ford Raptor owner the old V8 is still way more sought after then the newer V6 Ecoboost.

Reactions: ddgermann
Much like the steam powered vehicles of the 1800's. Not collectible at all. o_O We have an extremely long way to go before oil refinement and hydrocarbon exploration becomes a negative proposition. All homes heated by natural gas, propane and oiled fired furnaces better start retrofitting now. Think of the cost of electricity for home heating. In all but Ontario, Quebec and BC, electric power is barely affordable for lights in our homes, let alone electric heat when it's -30 for six months of the year. In addition, either begin developing substitutions for the multitude of things made with petroleum products.
Let me know when the petroleum industry products are not required for the following partial list of items, and i'll either start listening to posts and so called news written from broad environmentalist assumptions and BS, or I'll have already been in my grave for fifty years. The petroleum industry will outlive all of us. JMHO

This is only 144 out of over 6000 items....

Solvents Diesel fuel Motor Oil Bearing Grease
Ink Floor Wax Ballpoint Pens Football Cleats
Upholstery Sweaters Boats Insecticides
Bicycle Tires Sports Car Bodies Nail Polish Fishing lures
Dresses Tires Golf Bags Perfumes
Cassettes Dishwasher parts Tool Boxes Shoe Polish
Motorcycle Helmet Caulking Petroleum Jelly Transparent Tape
CD Player Faucet Washers Antiseptics Clothesline
Curtains Food Preservatives Basketballs Soap
Vitamin Capsules Antihistamines Purses Shoes
Dashboards Cortisone Deodorant Shoelace Aglets
Putty Dyes Panty Hose Refrigerant
Percolators Life Jackets Rubbing Alcohol Linings
Skis TV Cabinets Shag Rugs Electrician’s Tape
Tool Racks Car Battery Cases Epoxy Paint
Mops Slacks Insect Repellent Oil Filters
Umbrellas Yarn Fertilizers Hair Coloring
Roofing Toilet Seats Fishing Rods Lipstick
Denture Adhesive Linoleum Ice Cube Trays Synthetic Rubber
Speakers Plastic Wood Electric Blankets Glycerin
Tennis Rackets Rubber Cement Fishing Boots Dice
Nylon Rope Candles Trash Bags House Paint
Water Pipes Hand Lotion Roller Skates Surf Boards
Shampoo Wheels Paint Rollers Shower Curtains
Guitar Strings Luggage Aspirin Safety Glasses
Antifreeze Football Helmets Awnings Eyeglasses
Clothes Toothbrushes Ice Chests Footballs
Combs CD’s & DVD’s Paint Brushes Detergents
Vaporizers Balloons Sun Glasses Tents
Heart Valves Crayons Parachutes Telephones
Enamel Pillows Dishes Cameras
Anesthetics Artificial Turf Artificial limbs Bandages
Dentures Model Cars Folding Doors Hair Curlers
Cold cream Movie film Soft Contact lenses Drinking Cups
Fan Belts Car Enamel Shaving Cream Ammonia
Refrigerators Golf Balls Toothpaste Gasoline
Wake up my friend and smell the new age of propulsion. As wind power gave way to steam, steam and horses towards the internal combustion engine; candle power to gas lights then to electric. The oil will no longer be the commodity that the world will need as a sole fuel source. We still have horses, steam, candles and yes there still will be oil, but, not as a major fuel source. The refinement of oil to gasoline created many by-products that you have mentioned, coal was the fuel of choice and affordable. Where is it now?? Have you overlooked solar power wind power and nuclear power? Hydropower to create electricity was in its day an affordable source of fuel until a majority of a household converted from smelly oil heating to a cleaner electric then the costs went up. Supply and demand my friend; No demand for oil no need to supply oil.

Reactions: MikeC8
We can all drive horses in the future. If horses replaced the current number of automobiles in Canada, we would have roughly 18 million... up from the 953,000 there are now. Not only would it be the alternate form of transportation, we could also start burning horse 💩 for heating fuel. It appears some have lots to spare already.

• Haha
Reactions: Kev and 12cents
We can all drive horses in the future. If horses replaced the current number of automobiles in Canada, we would have roughly 18 million... up from the 953,000 there are now. Not only would it be the alternate form of transportation, we could also start burning horse 💩 for heating fuel. It appears some have lots to spare already.
I’d rather swim with a Stingray

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Animals have a bigger impact on carbon dioxide than vehicles.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.