Jan 3, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
2020 Corvette
Province
ON
Hey Guys, do you think the 2020 model year will become collectible (25 plus years from now) with it being 1. First Mid-engine Vet 2. Very Low production number 3. Naturally aspirated small block, I understand that in the end it will be a mass produced vehicle and there will be a lots of them being pumped out over the next 5 plus years. However with the push going to electric within 10 years or so is this perhaps one of the lowest production number naturally aspirated V8's to be made in the corvette world? Just some thoughts?

Mike

• Indifferent
Reactions: Gilles27
Hey Guys, do you think the 2020 model year will become collectible (25 plus years from now) with it being 1. First Mid-engine Vet 2. Very Low production number 3. Naturally aspirated small block, I understand that in the end it will be a mass produced vehicle and there will be a lots of them being pumped out over the next 5 plus years. However with the push going to electric within 10 years or so is this perhaps one of the lowest production number naturally aspirated V8's to be made in the corvette world? Just some thoughts?

Mike
Collectables of any items are in the eyes of the beholder and as people, we set the scale of what is a collectable; that being said and the strong evidence of oil production slowing down the inevitable life cycle of the internal combustion engine is and will be collectable in its self. The onslaught of all-electric vehicles is the new wave of future collectables. Wrapping a C8 in bubble wrap for prosperity is in my view a futile and an undeniable mistake. When oil refinement and explorations become a negative proposition with the onslaught of electric power all the gasoline-powered vehicles that we deemed to be collectable will become lawn art and a conversational topic of yesteryear.

I think other than bragging rights to be one of the few first, that would be it. Agree with above that still too many made to make it collectible. I think in 25 years a Nintendo WII will have more value than a C8 Vette with the gamer generations that follow us. The old guys with a love of gasoline and burning rubber are a dying breed. And also in 25 years I will be 80 so likely my boys will have already had me put in a home and taken my car. haha.

Last edited:
Collectables of any items are in the eyes of the beholder and as people, we set the scale of what is a collectable; that being said and the strong evidence of oil production slowing down the inevitable life cycle of the internal combustion engine is and will be collectable in its self. The onslaught of all-electric vehicles is the new wave of future collectables. Wrapping a C8 in bubble wrap for prosperity is in my view a futile and an undeniable mistake. When oil refinement and explorations become a negative proposition with the onslaught of electric power all the gasoline-powered vehicles that we deemed to be collectable will become lawn art and a conversational topic of yesteryear.

Clearly..... Old cars with old tech that are no longer made have never been deemed collectible items. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Rruuff Day
I think other than bragging rights to be one of the few first, that would be it. Agree with above that still too many made to make it collectible. I think in 25 years a Nintendo WII will have more value than a C8 Vette with the gamer generations that follow us. The old guys with a love of gasoline and burning rubber are a dying breed. And also in 25 years I will be 80 so likely my boys will have already had me put in a home and taken my car. haha.
Lucky you to be 80.... I'll be 93 S#%T, son of a beach, I'm going to be old.

The times are a-changing my fellow aged gearheads; once the rumble of a V-8 was the sound of music that echoed in the chambers of solid lifters: the sweet smell of burnt fossil fuel emanating from the twin exhausts has been replaced with a swoosh of magnetism that fills the air of propulsion. The fire breathing big-block V-8 will be a bedtime story told from an era of drivers that tap danced three pedals and shifted gears to the sound of music.

My thoughts for why potential collectiabilty is because as far as N/A V8 engine goes this is probably at the height of the "ancient" technology. So it will be considered the best of the best since these V8's have been produced ( American V8 - not European Ferrari limbo etc.) I doubt another development of natural aspirated V8 will be happening. Instead being pushed towards electric and clean energy. Being that the 2020 mid engine was the first of the last N/A V8's (if that is the case) with the lowest production numbers. I am not saying to leave the car bubble wrapped and not enjoy it. That would be silly. However does it have the potential to become the 95-97 Porsche 911? The water cooled engine provided an exhaust note people remember. So does the 2020 Vette. Yes the generations change and as time goes on people will think an original Tesla Roadster to be a future classic ( and will be ) however I do believe that the end of an era machine, built to the highest spec of technology for that era with lower than normal production numbers will have a potential place on that mantle. Until then I plan on enjoying it! And yes once gasoline becomes obselete and rare to come by most of these cars if any will not be driven. I believe that we won't see that for awhile and enough time to see these for what they are. The best end of an era N/A American V8 envisioned by engineers of yesteryear, produced for a generation that bridges the past with the future. She will be at the very least art.

M

Last edited:
There are far less Sterling Blue Metallic c7 Corvettes so ...
based on that crazy thought ... Absolutely 100% not.
Drive 'em like you stole 'em ... enjoy.
I'd have better hopes with cheap Oil stock right now

Reactions: Cariboocreek
25 Years ago the 1995 ZR1 the last production year of the KING the Ferrari beater of its time with ONLY a total of 448 built

List price was $69 553 U.S.D with most buyers paying a " market adjustment" of $20 000 over MSRP

Inflation worth 1995 $69 553 2020 $119,909.18

Link below to Autotrader.com Highest listed ZR1 from 1995 covered in bubble wrap with 182 miles is asking $59 900

You think this guy regrets spending that money and parking it for 25 years?

1585857772072.png

• Agree
Reactions: ddgermann
The best scenario would be to buy two. Bubble wrap one and drive as you stole it as all vehicles should be driven. Yes, I do think he regrets parking it. There is no price on the excitement of driving a sports car.

Much like the steam powered vehicles of the 1800's. Not collectible at all. o_O We have an extremely long way to go before oil refinement and hydrocarbon exploration becomes a negative proposition. All homes heated by natural gas, propane and oiled fired furnaces better start retrofitting now. Think of the cost of electricity for home heating. In all but Ontario, Quebec and BC, electric power is barely affordable for lights in our homes, let alone electric heat when it's -30 for six months of the year. In addition, either begin developing substitutions for the multitude of things made with petroleum products.
Let me know when the petroleum industry products are not required for the following partial list of items, and i'll either start listening to posts and so called news written from broad environmentalist assumptions and BS, or I'll have already been in my grave for fifty years. The petroleum industry will outlive all of us. JMHO

This is only 144 out of over 6000 items....

Solvents Diesel fuel Motor Oil Bearing Grease
Ink Floor Wax Ballpoint Pens Football Cleats
Upholstery Sweaters Boats Insecticides
Bicycle Tires Sports Car Bodies Nail Polish Fishing lures
Dresses Tires Golf Bags Perfumes
Cassettes Dishwasher parts Tool Boxes Shoe Polish
Motorcycle Helmet Caulking Petroleum Jelly Transparent Tape
CD Player Faucet Washers Antiseptics Clothesline
Curtains Food Preservatives Basketballs Soap
Vitamin Capsules Antihistamines Purses Shoes
Dashboards Cortisone Deodorant Shoelace Aglets
Putty Dyes Panty Hose Refrigerant
Percolators Life Jackets Rubbing Alcohol Linings
Skis TV Cabinets Shag Rugs Electrician’s Tape
Tool Racks Car Battery Cases Epoxy Paint
Mops Slacks Insect Repellent Oil Filters
Umbrellas Yarn Fertilizers Hair Coloring
Roofing Toilet Seats Fishing Rods Lipstick
Denture Adhesive Linoleum Ice Cube Trays Synthetic Rubber
Speakers Plastic Wood Electric Blankets Glycerin
Tennis Rackets Rubber Cement Fishing Boots Dice
Nylon Rope Candles Trash Bags House Paint
Water Pipes Hand Lotion Roller Skates Surf Boards
Shampoo Wheels Paint Rollers Shower Curtains
Guitar Strings Luggage Aspirin Safety Glasses
Antifreeze Football Helmets Awnings Eyeglasses
Clothes Toothbrushes Ice Chests Footballs
Combs CD’s & DVD’s Paint Brushes Detergents
Vaporizers Balloons Sun Glasses Tents
Heart Valves Crayons Parachutes Telephones
Enamel Pillows Dishes Cameras
Anesthetics Artificial Turf Artificial limbs Bandages
Dentures Model Cars Folding Doors Hair Curlers
Cold cream Movie film Soft Contact lenses Drinking Cups
Fan Belts Car Enamel Shaving Cream Ammonia
Refrigerators Golf Balls Toothpaste Gasoline

25 Years ago the 1995 ZR1 the last production year of the KING the Ferrari beater of its time with ONLY a total of 448 built

List price was $69 553 U.S.D with most buyers paying a " market adjustment" of $20 000 over MSRP

Inflation worth 1995 $69 553 2020 $119,909.18

Link below to Autotrader.com Highest listed ZR1 from 1995 covered in bubble wrap with 182 miles is asking $59 900

You think this guy regrets spending that money and parking it for 25 years?

View attachment 38206

This is a great example of a corvette that got all the hype in collectibility, but only managed to be nostalgic. Hence not worth any more, and not considered highly desirable. With that being said my point has to do with the end of an era with N/A engine development and its sound. If electric vehicles became all the rage in 1995 and this corvette was the last N/A monster maybe the answer on this vehicle would be different. If vehicles started to make a big shift to hybrid technology and full electric has they currently are at rapid pace, this corvette would be completely iconic and would mark the highest achievement to an American V8. However this ZR1 is not the last N/A V8 and not at the height of technology for that type engine. IF and that's only an IF the C8 (assuming z06 and zr1 are either electric assisted / or turbo charged not N/A) is in fact the last of an era I think it has more of a chance. Perhaps not a 2020 version, but maybe the final models that get built in a few years more. Could be totally wrong, but things are changing into a different direction then in 1995 and these next five- eight years will at some point generate a very collectible end of an era type vehicle. Maybe just maybe its a Corvette.

Speculation about cars is like the stock market no guarantees, yes the end of oil burning vehicles was not a concern in 1995 but there were rumours that the performance police { government ) was at some point cap horsepower because 405 Hp Zr1 was too fast for Joe Public as motorcycles from 2000 on were restricted to 186 mph 299 kmh

Much like the steam powered vehicles of the 1800's. Not collectible at all. o_O We have an extremely long way to go before oil refinement and hydrocarbon exploration becomes a negative proposition. All homes heated by natural gas, propane and oiled fired furnaces better start retrofitting now. Think of the cost of electricity for home heating. In all but Ontario, Quebec and BC, electric power is barely affordable for lights in our homes, let alone electric heat when it's -30 for six months of the year. In addition, either begin developing substitutions for the multitude of things made with petroleum products.
Let me know when the petroleum industry products are not required for the following partial list of items, and i'll either start listening to posts and so called news written from broad environmentalist assumptions and BS, or I'll have already been in my grave for fifty years. The petroleum industry will outlive all of us. JMHO

This is only 144 out of over 6000 items....

Solvents Diesel fuel Motor Oil Bearing Grease
Ink Floor Wax Ballpoint Pens Football Cleats
Upholstery Sweaters Boats Insecticides
Bicycle Tires Sports Car Bodies Nail Polish Fishing lures
Dresses Tires Golf Bags Perfumes
Cassettes Dishwasher parts Tool Boxes Shoe Polish
Motorcycle Helmet Caulking Petroleum Jelly Transparent Tape
CD Player Faucet Washers Antiseptics Clothesline
Curtains Food Preservatives Basketballs Soap
Vitamin Capsules Antihistamines Purses Shoes
Dashboards Cortisone Deodorant Shoelace Aglets
Putty Dyes Panty Hose Refrigerant
Percolators Life Jackets Rubbing Alcohol Linings
Skis TV Cabinets Shag Rugs Electrician’s Tape
Tool Racks Car Battery Cases Epoxy Paint
Mops Slacks Insect Repellent Oil Filters
Umbrellas Yarn Fertilizers Hair Coloring
Roofing Toilet Seats Fishing Rods Lipstick
Denture Adhesive Linoleum Ice Cube Trays Synthetic Rubber
Speakers Plastic Wood Electric Blankets Glycerin
Tennis Rackets Rubber Cement Fishing Boots Dice
Nylon Rope Candles Trash Bags House Paint
Water Pipes Hand Lotion Roller Skates Surf Boards
Shampoo Wheels Paint Rollers Shower Curtains
Guitar Strings Luggage Aspirin Safety Glasses
Antifreeze Football Helmets Awnings Eyeglasses
Clothes Toothbrushes Ice Chests Footballs
Combs CD’s & DVD’s Paint Brushes Detergents
Vaporizers Balloons Sun Glasses Tents
Heart Valves Crayons Parachutes Telephones
Enamel Pillows Dishes Cameras
Anesthetics Artificial Turf Artificial limbs Bandages
Dentures Model Cars Folding Doors Hair Curlers
Cold cream Movie film Soft Contact lenses Drinking Cups
Fan Belts Car Enamel Shaving Cream Ammonia
Refrigerators Golf Balls Toothpaste Gasoline

A breath of fresh air thank you. Hydrocarbons will be with us for many years to come. And there is no shortage of the stuff. As exploration and recovery tech has evolved massively in the last years the end of supply is not even on the horizon, the speculation on going of all-electric next week is purely that.

Love these guys who live in a hydrocarbon world and talk with some self-perceived authority about it like it will be gone tomorrow to try and rationalize an expensive purchase that will drop 20% in value the moment their name goes on the title. And just gets worse from there as the days tick by and KMs pile up.

Things not on your list; televisions, credit cards, pool toys, and the caps for Jack Daniels

The American V8 will be around for quite some time yet.

As much as I would like to say yes this will be a highly valuable car to collect. I doubt it very much unless it has some factory uniqueness which seems unlikely.

Buy it and enjoy it till it falls apart under you knowing you bought enjoyment at a cost... otherwise; why even buy it. A massed produced car is simply that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.