Corvette56

I'm New Here
You're 5
Aug 12, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
2006 Corvette
In the last couple of weeks I’ve noticed a higher pitch whining in my first 3 Gears but can’t really hear it in the top three gears. Sounds almost like power steering pump but Wouldn’t I always hear it if that was the case? Is it possibly a bearing in the clutch? It sounds like it’s coming from the front engine compartment

Reactions: jonsim
Sorry I can't help you technically with this. My own experience with the situation you are describing sounds similar to the noise my gf makes when I go WOT in the first three gears...........!
Good luck and I hope it will be something simple.

Cheers,

Garry

Last edited:
Think only thing I can think of is perhaps a belt tensioner. I think they can be problematic and can make a whine but I have no idea how you test for that. I can see it happening in the first three gears as the motor would be revving higher than in the upper gears. What kind of shape are the belts in? Can you see any wear on them?

Good luck with it.

Think only thing I can think of is perhaps a belt tensioner. I think they can be problematic and can make a whine but I have no idea how you test for that. I can see it happening in the first three gears as the motor would be revving higher than in the upper gears. What kind of shape are the belts in? Can you see any wear on them?

Good luck with it.
Thanks for your input. The belts look to be in good shape. Can’t remember when they were last changed. I have over 230k on the car. You think I would hear that just revving the engine in neutral?

Reactions: jonsim
In the last couple of weeks I’ve noticed a higher pitch whining in my first 3 Gears but can’t really hear it in the top three gears. Sounds almost like power steering pump but Wouldn’t I always hear it if that was the case? Is it possibly a bearing in the clutch? It sounds like it’s coming from the front engine compartment

Could be first sign of clutch wear, does it slip a little? Could be wheel bearings though you'd hear those more.

Could be first sign of clutch wear, does it slip a little? Could be wheel bearings though you'd hear those more.
Not wheel bearings for sure. Clutch wear is possible. Just weird it’s only in lower gears

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread