Sep 12, 2011
Somerset, Kings County, Nova Scotia, Canada
VetteCoins
Car
2004 Coupe
Like the wheels on the bus, I'm sure this one or one just like it has already gone round and round... but I digress...

I'm presently running BFG T/As 225/70R/15s on my '75. Was thinking about 255/60R/15s however I understand that they can rub on the front fender on some Vettes. So another option are 245/60R/15s.

I'm looking for a bit wider but will retain the orig rims and BFG T/As all round.

Is there anyone running with 245/60R/15s? Issues? Looks? Thoughts?

Doug

Like the wheels on the bus, I'm sure this one or one just like it has already gone round and round... but I digress...

I'm presently running BFG T/As 225/70R/15s on my '75. Was thinking about 255/60R/15s however I understand that they can rub on the front fender on some Vettes. So another option are 245/60R/15s.

I'm looking for a bit wider but will retain the orig rims and BFG T/As all round.

Is there anyone running with 245/60R/15s? Issues? Looks? Thoughts?

Doug

I had 245/60/15s on my '75 when I bought it and they always looked too small in diameter I felt. When I replaced tires last year I went with 255/60/15s all around. Both sets were/are BFG TA's. I had a little bit of a rub issue at the trailing edge of each front wheel well at about half lock...just ahead of the stainless trim, probably about a 1/4 inch. May sound awful but I just trimmed a bit of fiberglass away with a hack saw on a bit of an angle, painted it black and nobody would be the wiser. You honestly can't tell by looking. I believe GM had to trim the cars at the factory when a customer ordered that size of tire beginning in '78.

I had 245/60/15s on my '75 when I bought it and they always looked too small in diameter I felt. When I replaced tires last year I went with 255/60/15s all around. Both sets were/are BFG TA's. I had a little bit of a rub issue at the trailing edge of each front wheel well at about half lock...just ahead of the stainless trim, probably about a 1/4 inch. May sound awful but I just trimmed a bit of fiberglass away with a hack saw on a bit of an angle, painted it black and nobody would be the wiser. You honestly can't tell by looking. I believe GM had to trim the cars at the factory when a customer ordered that size of tire beginning in '78.

Which tire set is shown in your album pictures?

Here's a close up of the 255. The area just ahead of the stainless trim is what I removed.

Last edited:
This is the 245 and you can just see the fiberglass ahead of the trim that was later removed.

cooper cobra gt 255/60/15 fit fine, no issues, no trimming or modification required on my 76. they replaced g70/15 firestones. :D
These cars were hand built so one car may have an issue and another may not. One side may just have an issue. Car looks good Doug. :)

exactly greg, each one of these cars is different and trial and error seems to be the route :rofl: my buddy has tires that should not fit his 77, but do !!! 275/60/15 front and rear.

On my 73 I ran Cooper Cobra GT. 255/60/15 Rear and 245/60/15 Front. The 245 still slightly rubbed on the sway bar at full lock and 255 would not have cleared the bottom point of the fender (could have been trimmed). No issues in the rear. I liked the look with the slightly smaller tire up front. And ya I have learned that no 2 cars are the same when it comes to tire fitment.

Best Pic I can find right now. Consequently also my favorite pic of my car.

T

My cousin has 235/70/15s on his '74 coupe. They fit quite well, too tall for my liking though.

I ran BFG 265/50-HR15 EURO T/A's for 25 years.
No rubbing at all. Great tire, good for street & slalom.
I did relocate the parking brake cable bracket from the side of the trailing arm to the top.
This is common practice for big tires on a C3.
Years ago I decided that due to the lack of decent performance 15" tires I stepped up to 17".
I loved the Rallye wheel look but time to move on.
I installed some American Racing Hopsters in 17" x 8" size equipped with BFG 255/45-ZR17 G-Force KDW tires. These have been great for years. Great street and improved slalom performance. The car handles so much better.
Graham

And the winner is....

Great pics and good input. Thanks all.

The images you posted helped me greatly in deciding the look that I wanted to achieve. And so, drum roll...

I've decided to keep the look orig and will stay with the BFG TA 225/70R/15s.

Thus, in the end, it would seem that size really does matter.

Equally, I also realized that I really have to satisfy only one person in this debate over size...and that would be...myself!

:D

VV

Great pics and good input. Thanks all.

The images you posted helped me greatly in deciding the look that I wanted to achieve. And so, drum roll...

I've decided to keep the look orig and will stay with the BFG TA 225/70R/15s.

Thus, in the end, it would seem that size really does matter.

Equally, I also realized that I really have to satisfy only one person in this debate over size...and that would be...myself!

:D

VV

Glad we were able to help. :driving:

Nice looking car VV.....looked at your album, looks like Barrhaven. What was the deciding factor on tire choice?

Thanks Range - however we're actually out in the east end of Ottawa. As to albums, the Model T was brought from a chap near White Lake ON but is now located in Nova Scotia where the majority of the T pics were taken.

Deciding factor - well, I was considering a wider looking tire with slightly less height. But in the end I saw the potential for "rub" issues and the look of the sidewall in the wider tires appeared more oval in some of the pics I saw. While going to a larger rim would alter that, I'm staying with the 15s as I prefer an orig look as, for good or bad, that's how they were built back in 1975. Same reason that I stayed with the orig style when I replaced the front bumper cover last year. Also why I'll go with the BFG T/A tire. I'm not looking to upgrade major components and don't have any desire to try and rip the tread off the rims during "launch" - just looking to retain the orig look of an iconic vehicle that kids (young and old) can enjoy right along with me. I guess you can just call me old fashioned...and I can easily live with that!

VV

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.