Jun 29, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
2009 C6 Z06
Province
NS
I have chrome spiders on my 09 c6z and would prefer comp grey spiders or 10 spoke, proving very hard to find, new or used.
They appear to be discontinued at Gm.
I spoke with one local powdercoater and he was not really interested in the job, even if I left him the wheel at the end of the driving season.
There are a couple of other local guys I could check with.

Before I do, is powercoating durable enough to survive tire mounting and dismounting??

Any one done it on chrome wheels??

I have chrome spiders on my 09 c6z and would prefer comp grey spiders or 10 spoke, proving very hard to find, new or used.
I spoke with one local powdercoater and he was not really interested in the job, even if I left him the wheel at the end of the driving season.

Before I do, is powercoating durable enough to survive tire mounting and dismounting??

My H1 wheels are powder coated and the stuff is really durable. I had them redone a few years ago during a restoration but frankly they didn’t need it. I’ve never had issues with damage to the coating with tires changes either. I think you are safe to get yours done. Surprising that shop had no interest. Maybe it was the Blasting off the chrome that freaked them out? There will be lots of good places that will be eager to do them for you over the winter. 👍

Ever think of trying PlastiDip? Lots do and it can be removed and re-done whenerver easy and cheap... I've never done wheels but have played with it on other things and it seems to hold up well. Gotta be careful with the pressure washer (if you use one)... Lots of Youtubes on this...

1564018762067.png

Reactions: ddgermann
Thanx for the replies.
I am going to talk to the same guy again, see if I get a different result, he does the best local work.
I will also look into the Plastidip deal.

I didn't realize the chrome had to be stripped before powder coating, is that always the case???

Thanx for the replies.
I am going to talk to the same guy again, see if I get a different result, he does the best local work.
I will also look into the Plastidip deal.

I didn't realize the chrome had to be stripped before powder coating, is that always the case???

Like any coating the substrate has to be surface prepared to provide a good bond. I’m not sure the powder coating would stick well at all without a blast profile to adhere to. It’s likely the same with the plastic coat but the plastic coat may be more forgiving to chipping and flaking off over the chrome due to elasticity compared to powder coating. Thus it likely would be a better solution if the chrome is not taken off.
Might be easier to try and find a different set of wheels.
I’m very curious to hear what you end up going with.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Thanx again for the info, you may be correct, buying wheels may be a better plan. Factory wheels appear to be discontinued, so replicas is an option.
My concern about replicas is balancing, I read somewhere that the wheels in this link are lug centric, not hub centric, which to me
seems like a bad idea, not sure if the factory wheels are hub centric , more research required. These wheels are reasonably priced and shipped from Canada and available in comp grey.

I also looked into the plastidip product. looks promising and best off all can be undone easily!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
I have experimented and powder coated many items over the years in my garage. I actually worked for a shop for a couple days also. Chrome can be directly powder coated overtop, translucent colors give an awesome effect over chrome. You can have pretty much any chrome color you would like, including smoked chrome which looks awesome and still has reflective qualities. There are many reputable powder coating shops and wheel specific restoration companies in Edmonton. Wheel works is the one that I have dealt with, awesome work.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread