Nov 13, 2011
Trent River, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
1976 stingray
I have a 1976 corvette stingray. It is badged with L82 emblems, however the vin number doesn't make sense. The first seven digits are: 1Z37L6S. What the heck is the "L" doing here, wasn't used until 1977. If it is real L82, should be x, right; or are canadian vin numbers different from American vins? The only thing I could come up with is that the "L" means 165 hp, but still don't know if it is really an L82. Would appreciate any knowledgable feed back.
Thanks
Barry

I have a 1976 corvette stingray. It is badged with L82 emblems, however the vin number doesn't make sense. The first seven digits are: 1Z37L6S. What the heck is the "L" doing here, wasn't used until 1977. If it is real L82, should be x, right; or are canadian vin numbers different from American vins? The only thing I could come up with is that the "L" means 165 hp, but still don't know if it is really an L82. Would appreciate any knowledgable feed back.
Thanks
Barry

Checked this too: Corvette VIN Decoder and came up with the same results as you:
L48.

Only thing I can think of is that you have a transplant.

I believe this site to be covering both US and Canadian deliveries.

Thanx, your probably right

:mad: Oh well, I'm trying to sell the car, had an interested buyer until he deciphered vin # and even he wasn't sure, lost the sale.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1985 Fiero GT Restored, near mint
1991 Jeep cherokee Restored, near mint
1997 Jeep grand cherokee (wife's) rusty, but dependable, tows boats real nice, lol

Attachments

• vetteL82.jpg
    vetteL82.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Well is it possible your car was rebadged with L-82 emblems cause I am pretty sure the L means base engine. (Taken from Decoding the Vehicle Identification Numbers of C3 Corvettes 1977 to 1982) That is the site I always use and it matches my corvette black book.

Character Position Code Significance
1-2 1Z Chevrolet Corvette
3-4 37 Coupe
5 L Base Engine
5 X L-82 Engine
6 6 Last Digit of Model year
7 S St Louis Assembly Plant
8-13 6 Digit Build Sequence Number

Don't know what else to say.

T

Well is it possible your car was rebadged with L-82 emblems cause I am pretty sure the L means base engine. (Taken from Decoding the Vehicle Identification Numbers of C3 Corvettes 1977 to 1982) That is the site I always use and it matches my corvette black book.

Character Position Code Significance
1-2 1Z Chevrolet Corvette
3-4 37 Coupe
5 L Base Engine
5 X L-82 Engine
6 6 Last Digit of Model year
7 S St Louis Assembly Plant
8-13 6 Digit Build Sequence Number

Don't know what else to say.

T

That's the way I took it that somebody swapped out engines and rebadged.

Unfortunate if you want everything OEM and factory matching #'s ...:mad:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread