Nov 1, 2019
the GTA
VetteCoins
Car
2020 C8 Spider
Province
ON
Back in the day, I remember the term being slung around about corvettes... it went something like, "wrap your ass in fibreglass."
So, is a modern corvette still made of "fibreglass", or is it a composite material comprised of plastics and fibreglass blended together or like an FRP (fibreglass reinforced polymer?)

I don't think there's been fiberglass used in Corvettes for quite a while now. Don't know what's in the mix (Google likely does) but we call it composite rather than admit to driving a plastic car, and that's basically what it is. The more expensive models integrate more carbon fibre panels into the body but still mostly plastic in Corvette bodies.

Reactions: Sparro
not fibreglass .. it's absolutely amazing what I was doing yesterday
and how the composite material was "cooperating" with my
"abuse" for working around it and the dry-sump system
during my swap-out of the front quarter vent to a carbon fibre one.
I did come away with war-wounds on my arm though - that never changes.

Last edited:
The composite is quite resilient and will bounce back depending on the force. The paint will still chip from a door ding but the structure won't dent like metal. If it's hit hard though the composite will break but it would take one hell of a door ding to actually break it. It will break easier in freezing weather (if you plan on driving in the winter). Hail storms are not near as destructive either. Large hail that would pound dents in a metal body still has the potential to crack the paint but we have had posts from guys who got caught in hail with no damage at all.

• Agree
Reactions: YFCvii and Sparro
Back in the day, I remember the term being slung around about corvettes... it went something like, "wrap your ass in fibreglass."
So, is a modern corvette still made of "fibreglass", or is it a composite material comprised of plastics and fibreglass blended together or like an FRP (fibreglass reinforced polymer?)
This is
This is a good break down of the materials in the 2020.

Attachments

• 2020-corvette-stingray-body-downscaled.jpg
    2020-corvette-stingray-body-downscaled.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 50
Here are a couple good articles:

Some highlights, they had a steel frame, fibreglass body, and fibreglass floor through 1972. 1973 saw the introduction of SMC body panels and the composite formula has continued to change since, as well as a plastic front rubber affectionately called "rubber," then in 1974 went front and rear. 1976 went to a steel floor and 1981 went to a fibre composite rear leaf spring. The C4 in 1984 continued the steel frame, going to front and rear transverse composite leaf springs and aluminum suspension components. The C5 in 1997 went to a hydroformed the steel frame and sandwiched balsa wood core floor pan. C6 Z06 saw an aluminum frame along with carbon fibre fenders, hood, and roof. C7 introduced an aluminum frame along with more carbon fibre body panels depending on the trim.

Me and a friend today who was installing a high wing spoiler were taking note of how much metal is in a C8 and l thing you could not fill a 4 gallon bucket with all the little brackets and stifiners that we we found . You could drive this thing in MTL all winter long with only your concience to deal with