Case75

High RPM Poster
2 You're 10
Jul 6, 2012
Earth
VetteCoins
Car
none right now.
While doing some detailing the other day I noticed some cracks starting to appear near the rims on a couple of tires. Tires are about 10 years old an probably overdue for replacement. I've got 245/60/15 BF Goodrich Radial TA's on my '75. This would have been about the equivalent diameter of the old F70-15 that the '68 to '72's ran. In '73 GM switched to a G70-15 and kept that through '77. In '78 they went metric with a 225/70/15 with the 255/60/15 being optional. I'm thinking of running the 255/60/15 TA's next spring and wondering if anyone has tried that size on a '77 or older Vette. I don't have any clearance issues with the 245's but would like the slightly larger width and diameter of the 255's. Any thoughts?

I was running 245/60/15 on the front and 255/60/15 on the rear. I definitely could not have fit 255's on the front cause the 245's just touched the sway bar at full turn. However these cars were hand assembled and I have heard of many people running 255's all around with no issues. Luck of the draw I guess. My car is a 73 but I don't think you can guarantee fit on a 75 either. Do some measuring with what you have and make a reasonable decision. You may get lucky and be able to fit 255's all around.

Hope this helps.

T

Thanks for the input Taylorsk8. I was more worried about the rear fitment; I'll have to check the front closer. I saw a '74 convert at a show recently with 255's all around. Looked good. Didn't talk to the owner to get his input. I notice when checking specs on different brands that there are differences in section width for the same size of tire. The TA's are wider than some other brands that way.

75 Coupe... lowered...
I ran BFG Euro T/A's 265/50-15's for most of the cars life.
A few years ago I changed to 17" rims and now I run BFG G-Force KDW 255/45-ZR17's.
No clearance issues. Maybe a little rub on the frame up front.
I believe earlier model C3's have an issue in the front fender area.
graham

75 Coupe... lowered...
I ran BFG Euro T/A's 265/50-15's for most of the cars life.
A few years ago I changed to 17" rims and now I run BFG G-Force KDW 255/45-ZR17's.
No clearance issues. Maybe a little rub on the frame up front.
I believe earlier model C3's have an issue in the front fender area.
graham

Thanks for the info Graham. I think I'll go with the 255/60/15 TAs next year.

My '78 has VBP suspension and sits lower than stock and I have 255/60/15 all around. When I had the front pacecar splitter on the front there was a slight rub when backing up at full turn, but I no longer have the splitter on the car and have no problems at all.

Case75... You may want to relocate the emergency brake cable bracket on the rear trailing arms. Any welding auto shop can relocate the bracket from the side to the top of the arm. It gives a little more clearance for larger rims and tires. Be sure to take a look at this when you try tires on.
Graham.

Thanks for the tip Graham. I'll check it out. Going to be pulling the rims off this winter to repaint the ralleys.

Greg.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread