B59AEDBA-97D8-4B7E-AEB0-220620360D82.jpeg

I have always just preferred the more involved interaction with the car when you have a manual transmission. I like that I know better than the car does that there is a hill coming, and I might want do downshift at the bottom of the hill and accelerate smoothly, rather than drop two gears partway up the hill and floor the throttle to compensate for lost speed. I like that I can downshift at the top of a hill to help the car slow down going down a hill instead of riding my brakes and warping my rotors.

I like that I can use the gears and the rear end to control the car better around corners. Speaking more on different cars that I owned before the Vette, and more often than not on snow or ice, but still a valid point. Automatic with paddle shift could possibly do the same thing, but I still prefer having the ability to jab the clutch if the slide gets out of hand, which you can't do with the auto.

I have had manual transmission cars whenever possible ever since I got my driver's license. My first car was a manual, so I learned pretty young. Up until I got married, I have always preferred a manual transmission. Alas, my wife only has two feet, so three-pedaled cars are restricted to just me. hehe. It's a security feature of sorts! I actually had to trade my daily (the only car I have ever purchased brand new) because it was a 6-speed manual, and my wife couldn't drive it. Now I have a station wagon, with an automatic!

I get better gas mileage with my manuals than anyone I have ever known with an automatic. I get to choose my throttle application, I get to choose my shift points, and with a manual, I don't even need to follow the gear patterns. I often go 1-2, 4, 6, or 1, 3, 5.

It is also something special when you bite down, intentionally stab that left pedal down, and move that fantastic leather-wrapped MGW short-shifter into "warp speed Scotty". The sound and feel of that shifter schlick-thumping into place is so satisfying. I dream about those sounds. lol.

Yeah, to me the Vette is a special car, and that whole manual experience is a huge part of what makes that car so special and wonderful. It's a full-body experience! Mashing the clutch with your left leg while you modulate the gas with your right, banging gears with your right hand and trying to point this rocketship with your left hand. All the while your heart is pounding, muslces are tensing, it's a visceral experience.

Automatics are nice too. They allow you to appreciate those additional upgrades like heads-up display, or XM Radio, or fiddle with the heated seats, or even, let the wife drive.

What I find interesting is the fact that only roughly 15% of C7s in 2017 on were manuals. I’m not sure of the statistics for the entire run from 14-19 but it seems most owners prefer the automatic.
I certainly know a few who love the automatic and some who found they really disliked it after the dreaded bump shift issue was not resolved for them.
Wonder if that was engineered out by 2018 as I haven’t heard much on it in the last year.

Automatics are nice too. They allow you to appreciate those additional upgrades like heads-up display, or XM Radio, or fiddle with the heated seats, or even, let the wife drive.

Errrrrr.....No Brenda.... Jord is incorrect. Corvettes do NOT even offer automatic transmissions.

whew.jpg

That was close.... lol..

Well, I have always preferred shifting through the gears in all of my prior 'spirited' cars. But, for what ever reasons, I went with the A8 in the Vette. And truth be told I am not regretting it. You can still get a very nice exhaust note working the paddles and some very nice "gurgling" on the downshifts. Without question driving a stick is definitely more exhilarating, but living with tons of traffic in the greater Vancouver area I opted for the auto. If I don't go for for a C8 I will be in the market for a 67 Coupe and keep the C7. Two Vettes but 50yrs apart. And yes, the 67 will be a stick! :Hurray:

Last edited:
Manual, just simply like the manual transmission, perhaps not so much in heavy traffic on the 401 or DVP parking lot. Simply love the rev matching, could never heel/toe or blimp the throttle, the sound is intoxicating wish there was an option to simply keep it on all the time. Over all I feel more engaged/connected with the car with a manual then an auto, even with the manual option on the auto, making my drive so much more enjoyable. Will be a very sad day for me when manufacturers stop offering manuals in their cars.

Did I mention that insurance companies are offering heavy discounts on premiums if you own a manual. Apparently, if you own a manual it can't be stolen.... cause today's thieves don't know what to do with the left foot.

There is something about shifting gears makes one part of the car. My old 1990 ZR-1 which I have had for 10 years now has a 6 spd. manual which makes the car fun to drive. That said, it was fun till my clutch went south and had to order another one. Unfortunately the only company that had a Dual Mass Fly Wheel and Clutch was in Oklahoma. Knowing that they are hard to find they soaked me good with a price of $2,000 Dollars. Since I am approaching the 70 year old age bracket contemplating ordering a 2019 C7 with 8 spd. Automatic. A basic Stingray auto has all the horsepower I will ever require and no more shifting for this young bird.

you need both lol my c1 is manual and c7 is automatic.. the 4 speed is way more fun, when i take my kid with me she always askes why r u pulling and pushing that ball (shifter).. i like downshifting and making noise instead of using my brakes hence lots of shifting.. want to go for a long cruise top down tunes up and just push the feeder on the c7. or in rain no top for c1 yet. and this way the older kid cant drive the c1 either Yet ?????:happy:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread