Ntmd8r

RIP
You're a Regular 2 You're 10
Jan 27, 2009
Richmond, B.C.
VetteCoins
So If I had a friend in the US, who was willing to buy my C7 for me.

1. Would this get around the issue of not selling to a non-american?
2. Does he have to register it ? (the idea is to not pay taxes)
3. If he did have to register it, does he have to pay taxes?
(Maybe we could buy it in a state (or deliver it to) which doesn't have state taxes)
4. Then he could just sell it to me

Of course, I would have given him the $$$ to buy it in the first place.

Would this work ??????

Based on what my dealer has now told me, I have no idea if I will even be getting a 2015 by next summer.

Or, maybe someone on this forum can get me in touch with a dealer who DOES (will) have an allocation for 2015 with my options ? :canada:

I'm just a very impatient guy. :confused:

Hi Ntmd8r!

I work at a dealership in Ontario so maybe I can asnwer some of these questions:

1. To go around the buying in US what you can do is be a CO-buyer with your American friend so you are both 50/50 owners. To ensure you dont have to pay any additional taxes to have it transferred 100% to yourself you will need him to give you an irrevocable power-of-attorney so that you can do whatever you want to with it. In the rare incident lets say your friend passes away the C7 wont be part of his inheritance to his family. Consult lawyer or tax professional for this.

2. Registration will be in both peoples name or only in his name. Plates can be in your name only. You will need US plates for atleast 6 month before you can bring it to Canada and get Canadian plates. or pay Canadian sales taxes

3. You can take delivery in any province and pay their taxes but you must be a resident or own a business in that state or risk a claw back from the TAX MAN.

4. You will have to pay taxes if he sells it to you or "gifts" it to you. No going around it. The only way around taxes is if there is a "Barter" such as you performed some services for him or exchanged a property of equal value (eg. Michael Jordon's signed Baseball cap with his sweat on it). If there is any currency exchange then you must pay Tax. Thats the LAW!

But is it all worth the hassle? Just place your factory order with a high volume Corvette dealer and you should be guaranteed your C7! PM me with your specs and let me see if I can take care of it for you.

Best of Luck!

Thanks ojamali.
I have no objection paying Canadian taxes..... I have to do that anyway.
I was merely trying to avoid paying any US fed or state taxes, if we were just going
to take the car to Canada.

I have PMd you.

Ntmd8r:

Check exchange rates for US dollar, The 2014 C7 was only 3% MSRP higher in Canada and 5% on options. So if the US dollar exchange rate is at on 10% you will be paying more to buy the car in the US. When I got my C7 in April it was $2380 cheaper to buy the car in Canada than the US.

yup get a guy in montana where there is no sales tax, he pays 260 or less to register and you can buy it after 30 days, then pay gst and pst to being it up and bring it up through coutts alberta area,

easy peasy,

Jeffer2013

bottom line, any GM dealer in the US CAN"T sell a new GM product to a :canada: ( dumb franchise rules). Anyone in the US can buy a NEW GM product then sell it as USED to a :canada: then we import. You just need a bill of sale and the TITLE transferred to you when you cross the border. THere are no restictions importing a NEW or USED GM car into Canada......... ( well most GM cars per RIV)

Frank

There are no restrictions importing a "USED" C7 into Canada.

Warranty won't be honored until 12000km
If you import a C7 with 12000km, warranty delay is 6 months
Current foreign exchange rates make importing a C7...expensive

bottom line, any GM dealer in the US CAN"T sell a new GM product to a :canada: ( dumb franchise rules). Anyone in the US can buy a NEW GM product then sell it as USED to a :canada: then we import. You just need a bill of sale and the TITLE transferred to you when you cross the border. THere are no restictions importing a NEW or USED GM car into Canada......... ( well most GM cars per RIV)

Frank

When it comes to the C7 it seems like even Canadian dealers can't sell to a Canadian. Eleven percent of new cars sold in North America are sold in Canada, GM allocates 3% of C7 production to Canada, go figure. They will tell you it is based on history, well if you didn't charge $15k more for the same Cdn car as you did in the U.S. in the past maybe your historic sales would be just a bit different. You shoot your self in the foot GM Canada by over pricing the cars forcing people to go to the U.S for 2nd hand 'Vettes or alternative markets and vehicles, then you price the C7 basically equal to U.S prices and you wonder why demand is up. Who runs his company?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.